AFL Player Needs IP / Wealth Manager / Controller

"wicket" = $ = remuneration........are you taking the mick out of me geoffw?! :)

I've forwarded Steve Navra's details & also yours JamesGG.

Cheers

Very happy to report he's made an appointment today to see a 'financial advisor' recommended through these posts. He's also going to speak with his Manager & the Player's Association immediately after.

Thank you all for your contributions. He's finally on his way, with a mission. Just have to keep him on the path.

Cheers

Very happy to report he's made an appointment today to see a 'financial advisor' recommended through these posts. He's also going to speak with his Manager & the Player's Association immediately after.

Thank you all for your contributions. He's finally on his way, with a mission. Just have to keep him on the path.

Cheers

Kath

IMHO since he trusts you, I can see that you will have to take on an 'unpaid role' of reading & checking documents, discussing & explaining things to him so he can make an informed decision.

Sheryn

Unless he plays for the Bombers i wish him no luck whatsoever!(is that cruel?)
No, not cruel, but I'm surprised too that it took that long for someone to throw in some footy slander! I don't go for either team.

Yes Sheryn, I'm expecting to still help out there, but I have expectations too where I won't be reading everything for him. He'll be reading everything then asking questions. THEN I'll expect him to ask those same questions of his 'expert advisors'.

I guess what I've got to say may sound harsh, but I believe it's the truth and no cause is best served by dishonesty.

You can't change other people - you can only change yourself and that's got to come from within.

You can't get something for nothing.

So with these two things in mind, I think what'll happen is that if he doesn't take a keen interest in managing his money, someone else will. There's an old saying that a fool and his money are easily parted and when you look at all the thought and planning that goes on within this forum alone simply to avoid losing money and to make money in the long term, you'd have to ask, what are your odds if you fork it over to a financial advisor who you don't really know and trust.

It is great that he atleast knows 'something' needs to be done but if he isn't bothered in learning about any of the details then I'm not really sure what difference it makes. It also seems that he has his ego really wrapped up in this and has a slightly immature need for the approval of others that prevents him from taking action and guides a lot of his behavior in this arena.

I hope for his sake that he can switch from seeing investing as directly related to the academic pain of school to related to the joy and achievement he gets from his career.

I think what underpins all this is a self-esteem and worth issue related to playing footie as well as to school/academic work. Just as beautiful women who are constantly complimented often end up developing massive self-esteem issues. Similarly sportsmen who are constantly praised as wonderful people or idolised on their basis for a physical prowess can have a hard time taking on any pursuits where they feel a high likelihood of failure as it's too hard on the ego and image that others have built them up to. It's not really his fault - it's an easy trap but a trap nonetheless.

So until that issue is address, I'd say that the symptoms will remain. It sounds like he's pretty young and new to his career and I hope that over time he'll get a bit more balance, perspective and like experience and he can grow and mature as a person and feel enough inner generated approval and confidence so that he can perhaps transcend the need for approval from others.

I love sport and I love getting into a great contest. When I'm on the soccer field, the world becomes massively simple and direct. Over the line - goal, on the line - no goal, 90 mins, can't grab the ball unless you're the goalie and then coach tells me what to needs to be done. The rest is physics and no one needs to explain whether or not I did well. It's escapism for me. But if I lived there it could easily become my reality and I'd forget that the world outside it is a whole lot complex and coloured in shades of grey.

There is one law of the world that I reckon works in his favour though and that's this (as you would have discovered recently Ms. Russell with your other thread of the horrible tenants - great thread btw, and cheers for that):

Life isn't fair, and that's wonderful news.

If it was fair, then you'd have no choice and it'd all be horribly fatalistic and you'd have no control.

But seeing as it isn't fair, it could happen that you could have a wonderful and long career playing AFL which would be amazing (I know it's got it's challenges, not to gloss over them, but who hasn't wanted to be a professional sportsman?) and then you could wind up with an awesome financial advisor, a wonderful wife and live a long and happy life to old age. Why not? Now, I'm not saying I resent that, it simply is what it is and it's more than possible, may happen all the time for all I know.

I'd simply prefer to leave a lot less to chance.

So, in your shoes, I'd say: "Look, Tom (whatever his name is), I could tell you exactly what to do, but I think it's better if you stick to this AFL caper and wait a few years. Right now, I don't think you truly want to hear what I have to say, so I won't waste my time or yours. I love you and I'm in your corner, but until you're completely serious and willing to put in the work to make this happen, you may as well put it in the bank with a good interest rate. When the day comes where you're willing to do what it takes and you're completely serious about making it happen, we can talk about it then."

Sound cold? Maybe, but I'd prefer to be disliked for telling the truth than liked for telling people what they really want to hear. I call it like I see it and if I'm wrong then I'm open to that possibility and I'm willing to change myself. I'm just not willing to waste time trying to change others. I can facilitate but I can't teach.

So, I hope nothing here offends you and I know it's ridiculously long as a post, but I got sssooo much value out of the last thread of yours I read, that I felt compelled to give back.

So Gary, following your recommendations young 'Tom' puts his money in the bank and earns 5% interest on the money. Someone at the footy club talks about how they have geared into property and made a stack of money on it last year. 5% all of a sudden doesn't feel enough. This could easily lead to accepting approaches from the get rich quick schemes that seem to go hand in hand with AFL clubs. So now young Tom wants to make a quick profit to make up for what he 'lost' last year. Mr Firepower comes along and takes him to the cleaners. Scary thought for me.

I would be guiding him as much as I could. You say you can't change other people. That's just to stop you feeling bad about the big picture. Of course you can change other people. The Fool and his money are easily parted. Why is the person a fool? Because people with experience haven't taken the time to teach them any better. Teach Tom how to 'Fish' so young Tom can look after himself right??

Gools

You say you can't change other people. That's just to stop you feeling bad about the big picture.
Gools

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree, if we disagree here, then we won't agree on the conclusions I derived from it.

It's not to make me feel better about the world, it's simply a pointless waste of time to try to change other people.

Taking responsibility for things you can change is the way to go and there's a heck of a lot you can do from that perspective.

Thanks Garygoodbloke for your post - made me feel like I was listening to a wise Uncle!

I understand where everyone's coming from & thank you all for your replies. It's great, and I've passed them all onto him.

I'm not as subtle with him as you wrote, but he gets the picture.

Back