Age Article of overseas buyers buying land.

The example is of Chinese migrants buying residential and commercial property, and becoming citizens. Hardly new. This has been happening for decades.

The media and some parts of the industry were getting themselves into a lather which in part imo forced the Fed gov changes last year on eligibility criteria.

Discussed previously on SS here and here

I think Sash mentioned the same article in this post earlier today

We Aussies freely invest in the UK, the USA, Canada, Japan and much of Europe without impediment. No harm is allowing foreigners to do the same here (and taxing their CG when they decide to sell).

That said, its increasingly hard for foreigners to invest in China, there's so much red tape involved. It's hardly fair that they get to park their money in property here when we cannot do so in their country.

Yeah if you're a seller - that's a very good incentive.

Got a family friend who had the land (2 hectares) with 300 sqm house in narre warren and sold it for 2.2 million just recently.

My agent - called me in the weekend - asking if they knew any good large penthouses in the city. The chinese family already bought a mansion for 6 million in brighton but were kind of bored. and decided they want a place in the city.

Back