Aged Parents & Nursing Homes

Our family is in the situation where our mother is faced with being put in a nursing home. She's had Parkinsons for a few years but she got around unaided and she was quite capable of doing her everyday things. About 6 months ago she started having episodes of Lewey Body Dementia (dementia associated with Parkinsons). The doctor halved her dosage which we thought was a bit drastic but my parents are old school - doctor knows best. Mum plummeted. At her next visit to the doctor we asked if we could increase her meds and he OK'd it - Mum lifted quite quickly. However, we were told that Mum would need full time care within 6-12 months - Dad was devastated and wasn't able to deal with the paperwork or do what was necessary to get the ball rolling so we were ready for when the time come. He let us do the homework on it all but still wouldn't deal with the paperwork and kept putting it off. Then Mum needed to go to hospital to have a growth removed from her face. This all went well but her Parkinsons medication was buggered up and Mum plummeted again. Dad got her home and back to a regular routine and Mum lifted again but the dementa was more noticeable. A couple of weeks later she was rushed to hospital with pains in her stomach and was operated on for a perforated ulcer. She survived the op but her medication was stuffed about again as they were only dealing with her as a surgical patient (Nil By Mouth) not as a Parkinsons patient as well and thought her delirum was due to the anesthetic and pain killers. Mum plummeted again. It was strongly recommended that Dad not take her home but he insisted and within 3 days of having her home had her up and walking again. So well in fact that on day 3 she got up by herself at 5am to make a cuppa and fell over gashing her head and breaking her hip. Dad, who had had only 6 hours sleep during those 3 days hadn't felt her get out of bed. So back to hospital she went and survived the hip operation which was considered risky. Her meds were stuffed up again.

The dementia has well and truly kicked in now and we only have brief episodes of her being lucid and alert. She's also very weak from all the bed rest, has swollen feet and legs due to fluid and is totally immobile. Dad has been insisting that he bring her home again and we've been arguing that's not a good idea. The words Judas, traitors and treacherous has crossed his lips (although not in an angry way) because we don't support him in his decision. Last Friday a meeting was held with the social worker, doctor, head nurse, physio and 2 of my sisters - they strongly recommended that Dad not take her home and that she needs full time care in a nursing home. Dad felt ambushed and said he needed the weekend to think about it. My sisters went home and I spent the weekend with Dad.

Quitely, we talked about why he wanted to bring her home, why he shouldn't, what was best for both of them, and I planted some seeds in his mind for him to think about. It helped that some of his senior cit friends rang and also said that a nursing home was the right thing to do. Dad said, "not one person is supporting me - not one - that means either I'm the only one who is right or I'm the only one who is wrong". I didn't say anything. I watched him mull things over and let things take their course.

Mum was very bright and alert on Saturday but Sunday was sleeping most of the time, and when awake spoke about nonsense things and people - Dad was disheartened. Saturday night I plied him with beers and let him talk about Mum. I'd heard the story before about how Dad had heard a laugh in the Mess Hall (they were both in the RAAF) and had said "I like the sound of that laugh - I'm going to marry that girl", but I hadn't heard the story of how Mum ordered a pint and the barman said "if you can chugalug that pint I'll give you another one for free." Mum chugalugged it and got a free pint. Dad had to help her back to her barracks that night, but not before he let her kiss a group of soldiers going to the front line.

He pottered about touching her things and talking about all the great times they'd had and about how he used to complain that everywhere they went Mum picked up a pretty or interesting rock or pebble of the area they were in. Now they are reminders of the extensive travelling they did around Australia in a landrover with a sticker on the back that said 'Why Be Normal.'

I chose to stay another day and went into the hospital with Dad on Monday (D Day - Decision Day). Mum was having another 'bad' day and Dad sat holding her hand deep in thought - I sat in the corner quietly watching him. Finally he gave 3 wracking great sobs fighting to hold himself together, and said, I've made my decision - tell Teresa (my sister) to bring the paperwork. The both of us in tears, I hugged him and told him he wasn't betraying Mum and that if she could understand I'm sure she'd agree with his decision. I rang my sister and she drove 3 hours to get there to meet with the medical people and social worker and get the paperwork signed.

Late in the afternoon Dad went to stay with another sister who lives in the area and my sister and I drove home in our own cars. I usually play the radio or CD's, but I drove home in silence. I'd contained my emotions (just) the whole weekend and I still had to do it while I drove home doing 110kms on the expressway and couldn't drive through tears. I was aching with tension. I got home to an empty house and within 15 minutes of being home was in the middle of a horrible storm and then got a blackout - not even my phones worked because I've got walkabout phones. I had a shower by the light of the moon, then sat on the lounge in the darkness and howled like a baby. We'd conviced Dad that putting Mum in a Nursing Home was the right thing, but somehow I felt like I had betrayed them and let them down. No-one was there to convince me other wise.

There's more trials ahead as wait for the rolling ball to stop and the red tape to all be cut so we are then allowed to go 'shopping' for the right place to settle Mum. Meanwhile Mum stays in the hospital or will be moved to a transitional place.

Just 3 short months ago my Mum was smiling and laughing at my daughters wedding, was alert and witty and kept walking out onto the dance floor to join in the dancing - a bit of a scare for us because my daughter married a Turk and thier dancing is similar to Greek 'Zorba" dancing - quite lively and fast moving...............and now my Mum, the one we all know and remember - is gone. It's all happened so fast because of the various illnesses and accidents she's had just recently I don't think any of us has processed it properly and are a bit shellshocked by the speed that everything happened in.

Has anyone else had to go through this? Was it as hard for you? Does it get any better? And on a more practical note - does anyone have any personal recommendations for Nursing Homes within 50 kms of Tanilba Bay (Newcastle way). We have a list but personal recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks for 'listening'..........
Olly

PS: Life doesn't suck - running out of life does.

Hi Olly
Unfortunately I cannot help with the practical side of researching but I commend you for having the presence of mind to ask for personal recommendations.

I hope I do not offend by saying that I said a prayer for you and your family to have strength at this difficult time.
(Some people are offended by people praying on their behalf - so no offence meant. Just my way of offering support)

Please don't beat yourself up for having to make the difficult decision to get round the clock care for your mum. After all sometimes we have to make the decisions/take actions others cannot. And although painful it spares others. And after 50 odd years of marriage maybe your dad just couldn't bring himself to do it. (I know it was heart rending for you but maybe the only bright spot is that you spared your dad having to?)

How frustrating that medication mess ups that seem to have contributed to the swiftly advancing difficulties.... a mere three months ago dancing at the wedding and now so changed. Heartbreaking. I am so sorry.

Thank you for sharing the story of how your parents met.

Dear Olly

Thankyou for sharing the story of your mother with us, I know how hard it is. My mother is the same, aged 90 but living alone in the UK. My two sisters visit her daily and we have 3 carers go in to give her the medication and feed her.

Mum's dementia is very bad and I believe she should be in care but my sisters cannot make that decision. Living on the other side of the world I cannot push them, they are the ones that have to live with Mum's problems.

My sister rang yesterday to say Mum was missing, she had wandered off before the carer arrived, she was eventually found, she had got lost and had fallen over and hurt her knee.

I commend you and your family for taking the decision to have your mother cared for and hope you can find just the right facility.

Chris

Hi Olly, I reckon the hardest decision a child ever has to make, is whether or not to put a parent in a nursing home. We as the children are so in touch with our freedoms and independence, that to think we could be party to denying someone those pleasures, is unconscionable. We are then wracked with guilt.

In 1999 my mother came to visit from America, where she had lived for over 30 years. At that time I was living in a defacto relationship and she stayed with us. One night Mum came out and said "Sharon, what relationship are you to me?" Well that hit me like a knife to my heart. How could she forget that I'm her daughter...her only daughter...her only child?

She'd been a bit forgetful and cranky, gotten lost a couple of times, and I'd put that down to old age. But to forget who I was...well, altogether she had signs of Alzheimer's Disease. I convinced her to visit my GP with me. He did a few tests, and said yes, it seemed she had Alzheimers. My other half was aghast when I suggested a nursing home. He accused me of being a horrible daughter. I felt so guilty. I knew I couldn't work and care for my mother at the same time. (He didn't offer to support me, just kept up the guilt trip on me.)

To cut a long story short, I took her home to America where she had friends and familiarity. Every couple of months I had calls and email from her neighbours saying she'd smashed her car, and complained to the police it had been stolen, smashed and returned to the garage.

Six months later, I went over again, and saw how much she had deteriorated. She drove her car once and nearlyhad me killed by an oncoming car. There was a 6-month old piece of chicken in the freezer, and clothes in the wardrobe that were not washed. She lived on sandwiches she kept in the fridge that were old and stale. When security brought her home one night at midnight in her nightie...I knew she needed a nursing home with 24-hour care. I could not convince her to come back to Oz with me. So I had her committed to a nursing home. It took 3 days to find a nursing home and I took her there. She verbally abused me and I left in tears. I would visit her every day, and she spent the entire time telling me what an awful child I was.

Each night for a week, I went back to her apartment and drank a bottle of wine and cried. I packed up all her things, and found countless sharp knives and razor blades in kitchen drawers. I washed all her clothes, and gave the old stuff to good will. I packed up all her papers to go through when I got home.

I came home (kicked the wine), and spent the next 6 months organising for a legal guardian. I could not be her legal guardian as I was not a US citizen. Every Wednesday night I found myself in tears. I couldn't work out why, until my best friend twigged that Wed was the day I'd taken her to the nursing home for good.

I went back 6 months later to sell her apartment, to pay for the $US5,000 per month nursing home fees. I took her out shopping, or for lunch, or wherever she wanted to go each day. After an hour or two, she would be upset and ask me where she would be staying that night. She needed the safety and security of the nursing home. I could not provide her with that myself.

I rang her every week. Either she didn't know who I was, or she would abuse me for putting her in the nursing home. I dreaded ringing her, not knowing what to expect.

A year later I had a phone call to say she was in hospital after having had a massive heart attack. They phoned the next day to say she had died. In her will she wanted to be cremated and her ashes returned to her birthplace...a small fishing village in Northern Ireland called Kilkeel.

So I took her ashes back and scattered them on the shores of Kilkeel, beneath the Mountains of Mourne. She was home and at peace at last.

Did I do the wrong thing? I don't think so.
Could I have done it better? No...I did the best I knew how at the time.
Do I still feel guilty? Sometimes. Gee its so hard being a good daughter at times. Mostly I know I did the right thing by her. I gave her a better quality of life in a nursing home than what she or I could give her.

Olly, its never easy making these decisions, and it breaks our hearts to see our mothers deteriorate from the capable, vibrant, and energetic women they once were.

What's really scary is to even for a moment, think that we might end up like them.

Meanwhile...life is a banquet and I intend to enjoy the meal. Mum would want me to.

Hi Olly,

Yep, I have been there and done all of that! You will be amazed how strong you become and the strength you will find to deal with this difficult situation.
( My mother died of cancer and within a year my grandma took a turn for the worst and I alone, had to find a nursing home for her)

First of all you need to get a list of recommended nursing homes from the social worker at the hospital. You need to ring all homes that are local to your fathers area and arrange an appointment to go and visit them. The good ones will probably have a waiting list up to a year long. Dont become disheartened by this because they move very quickly. When you go to the homes, have a very good look around and ask lots of questions. Please do not settle for second best...your mother will deteriate very quickly if the home dosent care for her properly. Clean rooms and lovely common areas are very important. No matter what I write for you to check up on, you will know if a home feels right...I went to several for my nan, a few had a feeling of despair and neglect...very depressing. You need to act now and be proactive.

A few words of caution...Family relationships will be tested, often motivated by their own guilt and regrets in life. Already your father feels he has let his wife down, therefore it is so important you involve him in the decision making process in selecting a home for your mum. Let him feel that he made the choice of accommodation. Take him to visit your short list of aged care homes so he can feel part of the process.

Does it get any better? Yes:)... if your father and mother are happy with the care she is receiving and she has settled into her new surroundings comftably.

Your family need to be diligent and active carers with your mother. You are her voice because she cannot stand up for her own rights. Good luck and start ringing the local nursing homes now:)

Mrs Bird

Hi Olly,

Sorry to hear of your situation. From memory there are quite a few hostels but not so many nursing homes in the area.

Tanilba Bay only has units and a hostel.

I think there is a NH at Raymond Terrace, (Oban) my Mum knew some people there and they were happy.

There is a new nursing home in Salamander/ Corlette , perhaps 12 months old, sounded and looked nice when my family went for a look.

I think Harbourside at Shoal Bay only has units and a hostel but you could easily check, wife knows a few people there and they like it.

There are also units, hostels at Fingal Bay and Salamander Bay, I don't know but I think that may also have a nursing homes as well.

They are building another one in Salamander Bay but it will be a year I would guess.

I had an old friend who was in the GreenHills one over near Maitland and they were very happy as well.

I have not heard of a "bad one" that everyone avoids, between my dear old Mum who has now passed away and my wife who volunteers with the aged and disabled I believe I would have heard about it if there was.

Hope this helps

Olly

Our family is looking at something for our parents- before it gets too late.

My sisters are geographically much closer than me, and have talked with them. Mum has been having memory loss for quite a while- probably early dementia. Dad (almost 80) has just recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. They are independent now- but that will be changing. My sisters have found that there is a retirement village that they would like to go to- payment will be an issue, though probably the recent sale of a flock of bats will be raised as one solution :D . (One sister is married to a wheat farmer, barely surviving- the other to a property developer, prematurely retired).

I am so sorry to hear about your mum. I have just lost my grandmother who spent 18 months in a facility after she deteriorated with dementia and it is a heart breaking decision process for all involved. Dementia is just a heart wrenching disease.

With respect to nursing homes, the government released a website last week www.agedcareaustralia.gov.au If you haven't found it yet, you might find it useful as it has a location finder for aged care facilities in your area.

Although you have made your decision, I am not sure if you aware of a program called Extended Aged Care at Home. These packages may be available in your area, and they can be dementia specific. Essentially it is a newish initiative by the government to provide care at home to people who would otherwise be required to live in a nursing home (high level care).

Visit as many facilities within reason and trust your instinct when it comes to placing your Mum. Take the time to talk to the Director of Nursing at each facility as he or she will give you the best indication of the 'caringness' at each facility. As someone said the good facilities will have long waiting lists but they do tend to move along.

I too am sorry to hear about your mum. Is there a care facility which your father could also move into? He would be a great help in keeping an eye on your mum's wellfare by day, and by night the carers could take over and give your dad some much needed rest.

Olly, so sorry to hear what you and your family are going through...like the others have suggested, if you are considering Nursing Homes, make the appointments and see them for yourself, have a good look around and talk, and ask all the questions under the sun to the Director of Nursing...

Here are a few more links with info you may or may not have:

www.agedcareonline.com.au

www.agedcarecrisis.com

www.itsyourlife.com.au/aged_care/aged_care.htm

(has the information line, Aged Care Standards and Accreditation Agency etc)

Olly it sounds like you went through a very tough experience. A big hug to everyone in this thread who shared their story of caring for their olds.

To anyone else out there who is contemplating making this move (on behalf of a parent unable to make their own decision) I'd just like to say that there are some excellent facilities out there these days. Choose a facility with the same degree of care that you would a child care centre.

Look for places with plenty of action in the program. No matter what limited capability a resident has, everyone benefits from stimulation. Ask whether there are occupational therapists on the payroll. Ask to see a schedule of activities. Check if visitors can order meals from the kitchen to eat with the relative.

Today is day one for my 86 year old father-in-law in high care (ie: nursing home level) and I don't feel guilty at all that he has been moved in. I actually feel relieved that he is finally safe. I can stop dreading the call from one of the carers to say he's been found bleeding to death in his retirement unit.

For those of you with 2 parents with care needs, get a GP to request Aged Care Assessments for them both. Even if one parent needs a high level of care and one a low level its possible for couples to move in and spend time with each other during the day. Pretty much anything is possible to arrange these days. Couples with the same level of care needs can have adjoining rooms, put two beds in one room and lounge chairs in the other.

Call the Commonwealth Carelink to find out availability of residential facilities in your area.
http://www9.health.gov.au/ccsd/ Your ACAT socialworker will help you also.

Back