Agent and Contract

First time I have had this happen. Agent rings me about a place I was looking at and I did the figures and was going to put in an offer. So ask agent to email contract and I'm told sorry I will have to bring it around so I can explain the contract to you. I'm told he is legally bound to do this:confused:.

I said I have never had this before and what would you do if you were in Nth Qld are you going to drive to Brisbane I think not. He said he would post it, I said well email it, still said no. After a few more exchanges I just said don't bother and hung up.

I just figured he wanted to come around and get my offer and try and pressure me to sign and or increase my offer when he found out what it was. I even said my solisitor will be reading it before I sign anything.

Bad day yesterday - bad timing by agent to ring. Anyway is this correct about the contract and agent - I'm thinking not?

Brian

First time I've heard of that...sounds like BS to me. The REA owes a duty of care (and explanation) to the Vendor, not any potential buyer. The only thing he must do is not knowingly lie/misrepresent information. A prohibition like that is not the same as an obligation to explain the contract to a buyer.

Total BS By agent. it's not his job to explain the contract, it's your solicitor's.

How can you tell an agent is lying?

His lips are moving.

...So ask agent to email contract and I'm told sorry I will have to bring it around so I can explain the contract to you. I'm told he is legally bound to do this:confused:.

As the others have said - this is total BS and only an excuse to meet you to try to 'close the deal'.:rolleyes:

Figured as much it was BS. I wonder if the owner would be happy knowing the agent is not taking offers.

All the ducks were lining up and up pops a goose :rolleyes: To hard moving on :).

Thanks for the relies.

Brian

He stated he had a legal requirement to do this or he could be fined and possibly lose his license.

I said thats what I engage and pay a solisitor for to provide my legal rights before signing contracts.

To be honest after our debate I just figured this was just too much hassle and just seemed BS at the time. I just said look don't bother and hung up.

Brian

the only property I bought sight unseen was for one in QLD, and had the same explanation. Agent posted me the contract, couldnt email it, and by the time I got it, he had a counter offer. Still cheap, but I just assumed that was the QLD process.

Hi
All
It is totally untrue that the agent can not email you the contract in QLD
we just signed a contract on a house in QLD last week and we are in NSW.
Everything has been done by email, you just need to included a clause in the special conditions about using email or fax or correspondence

Back