Agent authorization urgent repairs

Hi all and thanks in advance...
I have a property manager who seems to enjoy spending money.
Today I got a bill for 2 new doors on the property - even though the property is only 6 months old - came to $750.
They claim that they told me beforehand, however I would not have agreed to it as myself and my uncle are capable of doing this work and the property is local.
This is almost the final straw in a string of incompetent acts from this PM.

On form : Code 005A Exclusive Leasing and Managing Authority: Residential Property (Victoria) : I have authorized urgent Repairs up to $1800.
I am putting together a stern email to the PM and the manager of the agency about this and other acts of incompetence.
I wish to revoke this clause and the agent is not to spend any money without my written approval.
I already take care of water/council etc. myself
Is this legal / am I allowed to request this or is this against some law/ guidelines?
Thanks in advance

If you are unhappy with your agent, serve notice to cancel their management agreement.

If the property is still under warranty, why didn't the PM go back to the builder?

Advise the agent, that you wish to adjust their authority to spend money on urgent repairs to $200 without consent.

Thanks for the reply,
The tenant is a single mum. It seems she was worried about her security, so she calls the agent and asks for security doors to be installed. So the agent calls up a local company and gets it all done. The first I hear about it is when I get the bill today.
I dont have an issue with security doors, I can understand the tenant wanting security. It is the process I am unhappy with.
I think I'll call around tomorrow.
Thanks again

I can't see how security doors would be deemed as "urgent" repairs.

Agree with Scott - at this stage I'd serve your notice and move on to the next one.

Where's the property located? You might be able to get some recommendations for a PM in the area.

Cheers

Jamie

Hi all and thanks in advance...
I have a property manager who seems to enjoy spending money.
Today I got a bill for 2 new doors on the property - even though the property is only 6 months old - came to $750.
They claim that they told me beforehand, however I would not have agreed to it as myself and my uncle are capable of doing this work and the property is local.
This is almost the final straw in a string of incompetent acts from this PM.

On form : Code 005A Exclusive Leasing and Managing Authority: Residential Property (Victoria) : I have authorized urgent Repairs up to $1800.
I am putting together a stern email to the PM and the manager of the agency about this and other acts of incompetence.
I wish to revoke this clause and the agent is not to spend any money without my written approval.
I already take care of water/council etc. myself
Is this legal / am I allowed to request this or is this against some law/ guidelines?
Thanks in advance

Hi Jaye,

I'm a PM in NSW so the laws might be different down south.

Check the wording on the management agreement. If it says $1600 for "urgent" repairs then the agent must pay for the door as he did not get authorisation from yourself and thus breached the agreement spending the money(Not considered urgent). If the $1600 was for general repairs then you may not be entitled to the money as the agreement gives the agent the right to spend the money on your property.

Also you have an obligation under the law to provide a reasonable level of security of the premise. If the existing doors provided a reasonable level of security ie had a decent lock and they weren't defective then the agent still wasn't authorised to replace the existing doors. It wouldn't be considered a maintenance expenditure and thus not authorised to spend the money. I suggest you look to take legal action and claim the full $1600 and any scrutinise any suspected dodgy expenditure he might have spent in the past.

Note: I don't know the full facts and details and I'm from a different state so please don't rely on the advice. Cheers

P.S I'm brand new to this forum. How do I get a signature like the poster above me?

"Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
www.passgo.com.au|[email protected]
p: 1300 656 299 | f: (02) 6108 3548 | Australian Credit Licence # 390602
PO Box 286 Woden ACT CANBERRA 2606"

I'd be disputing it. If your contract says "urgent repairs" then that's what it means. Not do what you like. Show them the contract and ask them to explain why they deemed that "urgent".

I ask to be contacted before spending ANY of my money.

Also they should only authorize the urgent repairs if they cannot get ahold of you at the time to make the decision.

Cheers

P.S I'm brand new to this forum. How do I get a signature like the poster above me?

Hi Lee

If you go to User CP you will see a section for Edit Signature. This is where you insert the relevant details and then moving forward all posts will contain those details.

@OP Give them notice as they obviously have no regard for the property owner or their cash flow situation.

It is your right to be as assertive as you want about your property and you need to actively manage the agents (the current and any new ones) or else you get the results you obtained. You will need to learn to express your wishes right from the time you engage the manager they will never do what you think you want but could possibly do what you tell them you want.

Cheers

The urgent repairs clause for $1,800 cannot be changed, that is the law. But should only be used if they cannot get in touch with you, or if you have authorized them to undertake repairs on your behalf without prior approval.

Installing new fixtures is not a repair so does not fall under this authorization and anything related to maintenance should be in writing, even if it's just "I confirm this conversation"

I'd ask for the proof in writing that you authorized to have these doors installed, and if not I wouldn't be paying.

Unless the external doors are actually internal hollow doors there's no real *need* for security doors, but they are nice to have.

If you didn't approve it, don't pay for it. The agency can foot that bill. In VIC you don't need to give your PM's any notice that you plan on taking your business elsewhere so I would start shopping for a new PM.

Let us know what area it is in and I am sure we can together recommend a good PM who won't go spending your money without your knowledge.

The $1800 repairs limit is for urgent repairs and the reason for that amount is that it is the amount that the tenant can spend in emergencies and seek reimbursement. By allowing your PM to have that limit - in an EMERGENCY - it means that your PM has control over the cost and quality of the work carried out as opposed to the tenant just calling someone from the local paper :). 9 times out of 10 it's fairly easy to get in touch with a landlord about the repairs.

I cant see how these security doors are urgent repairs. Any how if you cant work out a process for repairs with repairs or the agent cannot follow a process change agents or just do it yourself.

Urgent Repairs from Consumer affairs Vic Website:
Urgent repairs in rental properties

If a tenant or resident requests urgent repairs, the landlord or owner must respond immediately.

Urgent repairs are:
burst water service
blocked or broken toilet system
serious roof leak
gas leak
dangerous electrical fault
flooding or serious flood damage
serious storm or fire damage
failure or breakdown of any essential service or appliance provided by a landlord or agent for hot water, water, cooking, heating, or laundering
failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply
any fault or damage in the premises that makes the premises unsafe or insecure
an appliance, fitting or fixture that is not working properly and causes a substantial amount of water to be wasted
a serious fault in a lift or staircase.

Installing security doors would not be classed as an emergency repair under the Act so the agent cannot claim that they are covered to go ahead as per the Authority. Bottom line you have not approved the "improvement" so you could ask for your money back as you did not approve.

Reactions: Sez
Your agent doesn't seem to be doing the right thing. They should really inform you of all repairs regardless. Its just being considerate.

Security doors could be considered if there has been a break in at the property, but its not considered an emergency. They should have contacted you on this one.

I would put in writing to them that you do not want them to do any repairs without your authority.

I would also be asking for compensation such as 3 months free management fees as security doors are quite a personal taste and the vary in costs considerably. You should have been given the opportunity to choose here.

Back