Agent Brisbane - recommendations please

Hi all,

Flying over to Brissy from Perth in a few weeks time to go shopping for an IP. Can anyone recommend a decent Real Estate Rep to show me around? Will be looking at anything within the 20km radius of CBD.

Thanks

sq

Not sure of your expectations here but no "Decent" agent will "show you around". Within 20kms of the city is a diverse range of property styles, prices and facilities or features.

What do you want from your investment?
How much do you want to spend?
What style of property do you want....house, apartment, brick timber etc?
Do you have any idea of what area you may like?

Agents currently have lots of buyers on their books so I'd recommend being as clear as possible with your requirements. We have offices at Springwood - 3841 8418, Mt Gravatt 3849 6888 Grange 3356 1333 and Redcliffe 3284 9333 Also try Lorraine Bailey at Nundah on 3266 3555 and Kerri Tomlinson in Ipswich on 0412 385 564.

Enjoy the trip.

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

Thanks for your reply Kevin,

Yes .........I actually do have a firm idea of what I want and I have narrowed it down to about 6 suburbs I am interested in. These being:

Chermside, Sunnybank Hills, Deception Bay, Zillmere, Everton Park and Bracken Ridge.

Perhaps if anyone has a reputable contact in any of the above locations....I would really appreciate your input.

I would like to arrange to view as many properties as I can in the little time I have in Brissy (those that meet my criteria in the above suburbs) and I just want to be able to contact an Agent prior to going over and discuss what I'm looking for and arrange viewing times etc.

cheers

sq.

Suzieq

As a west aussie having bought in Brisbane back in Feb I would suggest you need to fine tune and focus on price range and specific requirements before you land, then hit the dirt running.

I would be recommending a trial subscription on pdslive to download all sales data on your selected area as well as a listing of local agents from realestate.com before you leave home.

It is highly likely any properties you research before you arrive will no longer be available so I would plan your inspections after familarising your area after Day 1 or Day 2 of your arrival.

Local community newspapers are a great source (upon arrival) as well as personal visits to the agents once you are there.

I assume you have all RTA rental data to lock down your area and know the likely yields.

Good luck

Hi Joe,

thanks for your reply. Sorry for my ignorance, but what is pdslive and where can I get the trial subscription from?

Yep I've been watching the "Under Contract" action on realestate.com.au and I am sure I will be running!!! I only have 4 days there and I am working on being armed with as much knowledge as possible before I land so I do appreciate your advice and will be working on my budget/yields etc in the next 2 weeks.

cheers

sq

Hi Suzie!

I totally agree with Joe. I'm also Perth based and have actively been purchasing in Brisbane for a few years now. My last purchase also back in February this year.

You need to do 2 types of due diligense - Macro Level & Micro Level.

Your macro side can easily be done from over this side of Australia to identify 2 or 3 areas that fit your strategic investment requirements. I also strongly recommend a 7 day trial to PDS LIVE or STREET SALES and download as much data as you possibly for determing possible areas and looking up historic sales data on addresses.

Also the RTA website, SEQ RENTS, BRISBANE SUBURBS ONLINE & REIQ are other invaluable resource sites.

Then once over there you can carry on with your micro level dd by doing as Joe suggests and spend the first few days just getting out and about driving around getting a feel for the macro marked areas you decided upon before leaving.

If you havent been there before nothing beats driving and walking the streets at ground level. Then decide on which area you feel most comfortable with and hit the agents full on and line up some inspections. Remember tho the RE agents by law needs to give tenants 24 hours notice prior to inspection which decreases your time available over there if its limited.

One last comment. Make sure you know exactly what your chosen property investment strategy is as that dictates what type of property you are looking for. If you dont have the answers to these in your mind you will waste a lot of time driving around becoming more and more frustrated.

Hope this has provided you with some help.

Last edited:
Your info is much appreciated Rick and Joe........

I have been to Brisbane a couple of times for holidays but never to purchase an IP, so I have a rough idea of the place....but will be looking at it from a different angle this time, therefore grateful for any advice/info given.

thanks

SQ

Thanks for your reply Kevin,

Yes .........I actually do have a firm idea of what I want and I have narrowed it down to about 6 suburbs I am interested in. These being:

Chermside, Sunnybank Hills, Deception Bay, Zillmere, Everton Park and Bracken Ridge.

Perhaps if anyone has a reputable contact in any of the above locations....I would really appreciate your input.

cheers

sq.

Of those, my personal opinion is I would take out Bracken Ridge. It doesn't have any real reason for high growth. No train, no major shopping centre, not necessarily near anything. I'd suggest Geebung, Banyo, Virginia, Nundah, Sandgate and Redcliffe area over Bracken Ridge. Chermside and Ev Pk are excellent areas, can't comment on southside suburbs but Sunnybank is an extremely strong Asian community. Strathpine area may be ok too.

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

If you don't mind me suggesting it, I think it might be wise to hire a BA to locate a property on your behalf if you have no luck on this trip. Jetting back and forth to an area in which you're not that familiar with can end up being a very expensive exercise; money and time that could have otherwise been recouped by employing an effective BA.

Good luck with your search and let us know how you go :)
May the force be with you!

Hi all,

Flying over to Brissy from Perth in a few weeks time to go shopping for an IP. Can anyone recommend a decent Real Estate Rep to show me around? Will be looking at anything within the 20km radius of CBD.

Thanks

sq
SQ,I have used this r/e several times and will use them again..
http://www.matthewsrealestate.com.au/contact.html
Take the time and read this before you fly out..
http://www.lawyersconveyancing.com.au/news/082_real_estate_auctions.asp
http://www.relv.com.au/news/057_commission.asp
This will also help..
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:BASE::pc=PC_1803
good luck willair..

Back