Agent playing buyers off against each other?

When we bought a property, we contacted the selling agent to put in an early offer prior to auction. The agent told us there were other interested buyers and he would be asking everyone to put in their "best and highest offer". There would only be one chance and the highest offer would win. We went in with our highest offer and got the property.

A few years later we had a discussion with the same agent about selling our property, and he admitted that sometimes he used the "best and highest offer" technique even when there was only one interested buyer. I wonder if that is misleading or deceptive conduct.

A few years later we had a discussion with the same agent about selling our property, and he admitted that sometimes he used the "best and highest offer" technique even when there was only one interested buyer. I wonder if that is misleading or deceptive conduct.

Each of us should have a "minimum" standard that we work to. Being honest should be one of them. In my mind not only is that dishonest, yes it is also misleading and deceptive, and if able to be proved, is the commission of an "offence"

When we bought a property, we contacted the selling agent to put in an early offer prior to auction. The agent told us there were other interested buyers and he would be asking everyone to put in their "best and highest offer". There would only be one chance and the highest offer would win. We went in with our highest offer and got the property.

I would not have listed the property with him/her for sale. If they are dishonest to other people (buyers) why do you think they are going to be honest with you?

I would not have listed the property with him/her for sale. If they are dishonest to other people (buyers) why do you think they are going to be honest with you?

Actually, if I ever sell, I am going to pick the slimiest, lying, deceptive SOB agent I can......oh, that's most of them.....carry on!

pinkboy

Back