aggressive tradies !!!

when i go to a restaurant, i see how the food is presented, taste it. if it is not right, i ask that it is redone.,,,,and then i pay for my meal !

I went to the local bottle shop last night, grabbed a carton of beer and said the the bloke behind the counter "I'll take these home, drink them, and if I'm happy with the quality and taste of each one, I might come back and pay you at some stage in the distant future."

:rolleyes:

Funny story but not sure what your point is?

Are you suggesting we pay tradesman before they do the work as a matter of course because retail shops insist on payment on purchase?

What if we paid the tradie when they handed over the job - like handing over the beer?

I personally do not ask for a deposit without first putting in a days work,If I don't like the customer or the job for some reason,I will leave the contract before payment if it cant be resolved.
I have personally helped pensioners with bad tradie experiences over the years and this is an unfortunate side of our trade or any trade for that matter.

I have had two subcontractors who have worked for me and done a crap job,I have paid the 50% halfway and the last 50% payment is used then to fix the problem,the excess was paid back to them.

With unknown builders / owner builders or some people I operate differently,50% payment halfway through the job,40% at finish,the other 10% when touch ups are completed.
The 50% covers all my costs so if it goes sour,I don't lose out.

This is what is written on the bottom of my quotes,

The Bitterness of Poor Quality is
Long Remembered after the
Sweetness of Low Cost
is Forgotten

Thank you for using " " Painting Services. We pride ourselves on Quality and Professionalism. Your Paint Job is our Priority.
We do not require a deposit, however we require a 20% Progress payment at the end of the first day, final Payment to be paid at end of job.
Thank you once again

We Will Try our Hardest to match the “Competitors Price” JUST ASK!

That sounds very reasonable.

Much more flexible than the tradie being discussed in this thread.

This is a rental property....so its not like if there is a small mark, then i will expect him to redo it....i;m not that fussy. But i just expect to see the final work b4 paying. He, the tradie, expects trust from me that he will deliver and i as a customer ask for his trust that i will pay up.
i should have done more research and ask to see his previous work b4 choosing him/
Ok, understand that he may have been burned b4, i don;t think i;ve given the impresssion that i won;t pay if it isnt perfect, but who knows why he is so suspicious of me.
maybe bc i am female, he feels like he can just push me around. Anyhow, i;m over it....will just pay up and if its faulty i;ll take it to fair trading/media/whatever.

Have you paid him any money yet?
If you haven't,why don't you just pay him the 90% and the other 10% the next day,
I just got my five cypress floors done last month and it was quoted for $3600 for two pac acrylic.
I saw what they went through for that money and I believe they work hard for their money so I paid him $4000 and a carton of beer,the job wasn't perfect,but he earned it.
Everyone's happy and my money did come easier to me than his did :rolleyes:

He expects to be paid in full at the completion of the job, which in this case is once the application of the final coat is complete.

I don't see any problem with this at all and you should pay up at that time.

It is very unreasonable for you to leave it to dry for a few days, and then decide whether to pay or not.

How does he know that you aren't one of these anal "consumers from hell" who will not pay becuase there are a few little bubbles in a corner. Floor polishing is not an exact science. There will always be some minor imperfections.

when i go to a restaurant, i see how the food is presented, taste it. if it is not right, i ask that it is redone.,,,,and then i pay for my meal !

How do you think the restaurant will react if you say you will think about what you ate overnight, and maybe come back and pay the bill in a few days?

He expects to be paid in full at the completion of the job, which in this case is once the application of the final coat is complete.

I don't see any problem with this at all and you should pay up at that time.

It is very unreasonable for you to leave it to dry for a few days, and then decide whether to pay or not.

How does he know that you aren't one of these anal "consumers from hell" who will not pay becuase there are a few little bubbles in a corner. Floor polishing is not an exact science. There will always be some minor imperfections.

No

He wants payment before he puts the final coat on.

You think that this is reasonable?

What if we paid the tradie when they handed over the job - like handing over the beer?

Well then, it would be happy days, wouldn't it?

The fact is, the tradie is handing over the job but the customer still wants a day or two to think about whether they want to pay up or not.

(I'm well aware the floor sander is asking for full payment after 90% of the work is complete. But the OP doesnn't want to pay until it is fully inspected (which usually contains little nit-picking, rectification work until the tradie has barely broke even.).)

Well then, it would be happy days, wouldn't it?

The fact is, the tradie is handing over the job but the customer still wants a day or two to think about whether they want to pay up or not.

(I'm well aware the floor sander is asking for full payment after 90% of the work is complete. But the OP doesnn't want to pay until it is fully inspected (which usually contains little nit-picking, rectification work until the tradie has barely broke even.).)

How do you know that? Where did the "day or two" come from?

I'd suggest the fellow just wants to see that it looks presentable. Just like most reasonable people. Possibly like yourself?

What if it has a big piece of dirt polyurethaned into the middle of the floor. How does he make sure the tradie fixes it?

I think his idea of 50% up front and 50% on completion is very reasonable.

Another thing to take note of when getting your floors coated is that you would be suprised at how many bugs, moths, flies etc will commit suicide on your wet floor...you will come in the next day and the place can look like an insect battle ground!:eek:

This is obviously not the tradie's fault but happends all the time. In my experience, most people just let it go... the bugs wear off after a short while.

Also, most customers are anal about their newly laid floors until the get their first scratch, at which time they go through the four stages being; shock, anger, mourning and finally acceptance that their timber floor is there to be lived on and it will get its fair share of scratches over it's lifetime.

Boods

Sounds like a dodgy tradie to me, I'm a Chippy by trade now a General Builder. Any Tradie worth there salt will happily wait 7 days from invoice to payment ( unless your doing a cashie ) which changes everything but it's still fair to not expect full payment till job is complete and inspected. I would firstly check if he's licensened to carry out the work, if he's not that would explain his lack of commitment without full payment up front. If not licensened you can refuse payment and he doesn't have a leg to stand on legally.
Remember you get what you pay for and the cheapest quote is very rarely the best tradie to do the job!
I'd look else where if you can't strike a smaller percentage upfront deal.

Goodluck
Matt

My old boss 30 years ago said if someone refuses to give a deposit before a job starts or debates the quote RUN you don't want the job:). I have lived by this over the years and sure enough when I have stepped outside of this bugger me things have gone pear shaped. So now I just walk don't need the issues :D

Bit away from your issue sorry.

I would not pay before the job is complet and i'm happy, but that my nature, looking at it from a different angle it seems there has been trigger or a reason not to put the final coat on, maybe fear of non payment?

Whats the contract say?

Brian

I have always paid the day the job is finished. I have seen enough through doors and windows to be happy enough. I would not think of waiting until the next day to walk on it, but maybe other people do that.

You have probably sorted out this problem by now, but I agree with Wylie. If the first few coats are okay then not much can go wrong with the final coat and you can always look through doors and windows.

Why not be on site when they apply the final coat of sealer to make sure its applied, ...... walk with them from room to room as they do the job if you like that way you can see first hand that it's done, ..... if its done okay ... pay them on the spot or pay them when they turn up as they have all the gear out ready to start.

Mystery

HI all

I am a retailer of flooring and i have sub contractors working for my store, payment for them is required once the job is completed by the installer not prior. the only thing that is required to be paid for prior to the completion of the job is the product itself as the layer/installer picks it up on your behalf.

if he wants payment prior to completion tell him to get stuffed and pay him when the job is done.

your offer to pay 50% is fair and resonable if he wants any money he will compremise with you.

Damien

Good luck with it

on another note department of fair trading complaints abuot this industry is very high and when choosing your sander please choose carefully!!! It is the second most complained about trade in NSW behind water proofing!!

This is a rental property....so its not like if there is a small mark, then i will expect him to redo it....i;m not that fussy.

Had the floors done in an IP about 18 months back. Could have been marks all over it, I only had an anecdotal look as I was walking around attending to other stuff. I remember it looked shiny and was 100 times better than the 40yo carpet and lino. :eek:

Guess I'm not that fussy either, or just a really lazy investor. :p

I think the fussy people forget that their little princess will likely ride her trike over the nice shiny floor or drag her little brother over it with a toy in his hand and that is the end of the pristine unblemished floor :).

I remember our first floor was gloss finish and the first scratch from our toddler was upsetting (at the time). I can still picture us standing around the scratch like people stand over a grave, looking down at the offending scratch.

After the next 325 scraches, we were fairly "over it". Next floor we did matt finish :D.

Personally, I am too lazy to be that fastidious about my floors, furniture, possessions or personal hygiene :p (just kidding about the personal hygiene :D).

Easy solution for anyone wanting upfront payment: pay by cheque with an advance date.........way easy to place a "stop" if the service you receive is not as expected.....nothing illegal in doing this to cover yourself and ensure you wont be ripped by shonky dealers which are still around...

You obliviously aren't a tradesman,how would you like it if you went to work for 40 hours and the person you work for said,Sorry the work you did this week wasn't up to scratch,we wont be paying you until you do it again and we will check it again at the end of the next 40 hours work to see if it is good enough to warrant payment.

Puts pressure on tradies to do the job properly I reckon.

No sympathy here.

I've been on the receiving end of very ordinary "professional" work.

Back