aggressive tradies !!!

Just agreed to have my floors polished. The guy wants payment b4 final coat of polish goes on. Is that how things normally work ?
i want to to inspect the final work, that is with final coat on b4 paying. But the trady won't put final coat on until full payment received.
i've given the option of half payment but he won;t accept

Just agreed to have my floors polished. The guy wants payment b4 final coat of polish goes on. Is that how things normally work ?
i want to to inspect the final work, that is with final coat on b4 paying. But the trady won't put final coat on until full payment received.

Sounds like he has been coating floors without a respirator for far too long.
Having been in that particular industry, I have never heard of such a thing...I'm in WA though, you guys seem to do everything different over there, and youse all speak funny:D

Boods

I would not pay him until the final job is done. You may never see him again if you pay up early.

Tell him you will pay him the day it is finished. Does he have a key?

Have you paid anything towards the job at all? I have had a few floors sanded and paid at the end of the job.

And we'all don't talk funny at all, Boods. But we'all do like to play the banjo and some of us have funny teeth :D.

he wants payment when the final coat is on....so that is complete....but i can;t walk on the floors to check it.
am so annoyed at this dude, i think he underquoted me and it took him longer than it should have so he's taking it out on me. Told me i should be thankful for the job he's done for me ! Far out....i am the customer, i am paying him teh money, so he should treat me wiht a bit more respect.
Anyhow, not sure what i will do....prob just pay him, take the receipt and take him to fair trading if he's done something dodgy to me.

This guy sounds like he's been bitten before. Once he slaps the final coat on, he's done everything and got nothing if you don't pay him.

Maybe you've been putting out 'signals' that you won't pay if you're not happy?

The flip side is that if you pay all now, then you have no leverage to get him to finish if he does a runner.

Sounds like you need to compromise on something you both can live with.

i offered giving him 50% and then the rest the next day when i have inspected- but he cant wait one day !!!
These tradies say they need payment so they can start their next job....must be pretty bad business if they can;t wait one day for payment

Some tradies live cheque to cheque - just like regular PAYG employees - and some are really bad money managers, even though they are good at what they do for a craft.

Some tradies live cheque to cheque - just like regular PAYG employees - and some are really bad money managers, even though they are good at what they do for a craft.

you know if they were "good" with their money we would never have any one to build our homes, true!

My experience is once they have had the final payment for a job you never see them again.

Not paying the final payment until the job has been completed to the customers satisfaction is quite normal. Sounds like he has been burned at some stage.

I have always paid the day the job is finished. I have seen enough through doors and windows to be happy enough. I would not think of waiting until the next day to walk on it, but maybe other people do that.

A family we know got their floor sander back THREE times due to a tiny scratch or bubbling in one little spot. Final sand and another coat, back again..... another final sand and another coat.

I saw and walked on this floor before the third visit back and I would have slapped them. I could not see anything wrong at all. I think the sanders refused to do it again. I have no idea what happened about payment.

Perhaps your floor sander has had some customers like these people before. Once bitten, twice shy?

Offer to get someone else to finish the job?

He's prob been ripped off before,not all customers are angels.
I believe he is thinking you will find an excuse not to pay him.

I have always been a little too generous with money,sometimes 100% up front,other times before the jobs finished.
Never really had an issue and I am doing it all the time.
I believe trust goes a long way and as a tradie myself,if I feel the customer is scheming,I will act appropriately,just as he is doing.

Just pay the man and make sure you get a reciet and another thing,make sure he has a floor sanding licence so you have recourse if its no good.

In Queensland,if you find your tradesman has no BSA licence you don't have to pay him.(Bet you didn't know that ;))

I have always paid the day the job is finished. I have seen enough through doors and windows to be happy enough. I would not think of waiting until the next day to walk on it, but maybe other people do that.

A family we know got their floor sander back THREE times due to a tiny scratch or bubbling in one little spot. Final sand and another coat, back again..... another final sand and another coat.

I saw and walked on this floor before the third visit back and I would have slapped them. I could not see anything wrong at all. I think the sanders refused to do it again. I have no idea what happened about payment.

Perhaps your floor sander has had some customers like these people before. Once bitten, twice shy?

I once had to get a sander back twice to finish the job right.

Both times he has sealed in bits of grass and stuff that had blown in. Was kind of like a fossilised piece of leaf caught in amber ...

Was right in the walkway and looked awful.

He wasn't happy but I don't think he could argue with what was in front of us both.

My experience is once they have had the final payment for a job you never see them again.

Not paying the final payment until the job has been completed to the customers satisfaction is quite normal. Sounds like he has been burned at some stage.

You obliviously aren't a tradesman,how would you like it if you went to work for 40 hours and the person you work for said,Sorry the work you did this week wasn't up to scratch,we wont be paying you until you do it again and we will check it again at the end of the next 40 hours work to see if it is good enough to warrant payment.

Trades can ask for a deposit...either 5% or 10% depending upon the amount quoted.....then payment at the end of the job.

If he can't stand that then he is shonky if you ask me.

I always ask any tradie if I can see their most recent work and talk with their customer...that usually sorts 'em out before you even start....;)

Oh....and I'm a tradie too and I welcome anyone asking to see my work and have plenty of willing clients to show it off too....:D

Good luck with it.

You obliviously aren't a tradesman,how would you like it if you went to work for 40 hours and the person you work for said,Sorry the work you did this week wasn't up to scratch,we wont be paying you until you do it again and we will check it again at the end of the next 40 hours work to see if it is good enough to warrant payment.

That's an extreme example.

As a tradie - do you get full payment before you are done?

and what if it is truly a crap job? If the pensioner has paid up front then what can they do?

I went to the local bottle shop last night, grabbed a carton of beer and said the the bloke behind the counter "I'll take these home, drink them, and if I'm happy with the quality and taste of each one, I might come back and pay you at some stage in the distant future."

:rolleyes:

This is a rental property....so its not like if there is a small mark, then i will expect him to redo it....i;m not that fussy. But i just expect to see the final work b4 paying. He, the tradie, expects trust from me that he will deliver and i as a customer ask for his trust that i will pay up.
i should have done more research and ask to see his previous work b4 choosing him/
Ok, understand that he may have been burned b4, i don;t think i;ve given the impresssion that i won;t pay if it isnt perfect, but who knows why he is so suspicious of me.
maybe bc i am female, he feels like he can just push me around. Anyhow, i;m over it....will just pay up and if its faulty i;ll take it to fair trading/media/whatever.

That's an extreme example.

As a tradie - do you get full payment before you are done?

and what if it is truly a crap job? If the pensioner has paid up front then what can they do?

I personally do not ask for a deposit without first putting in a days work,If I don't like the customer or the job for some reason,I will leave the contract before payment if it cant be resolved.
I have personally helped pensioners with bad tradie experiences over the years and this is an unfortunate side of our trade or any trade for that matter.

I have had two subcontractors who have worked for me and done a crap job,I have paid the 50% halfway and the last 50% payment is used then to fix the problem,the excess was paid back to them.

With unknown builders / owner builders or some people I operate differently,50% payment halfway through the job,40% at finish,the other 10% when touch ups are completed.
The 50% covers all my costs so if it goes sour,I don't lose out.

This is what is written on the bottom of my quotes,

The Bitterness of Poor Quality is
Long Remembered after the
Sweetness of Low Cost
is Forgotten

Thank you for using " " Painting Services. We pride ourselves on Quality and Professionalism. Your Paint Job is our Priority.
We do not require a deposit, however we require a 20% Progress payment at the end of the first day, final Payment to be paid at end of job.
Thank you once again

We Will Try our Hardest to match the “Competitors Price” JUST ASK!

Back