Aha! Moments

Have you had a "Aha" moments? Be it spiritual or investments.

Many people claim that they had an 'awakening' moment during a spiritual activity or 'aha' moment when reading 'Think & Grow Rich'.

I had a religious upbringing and still have religious surroundings. Never had a awakening moment.
I read the 'Think & Grow Rich' but I was like... 'yep'.

The closest I came to is I find solutions to problems in the middle of the night or while having shower!

Can anyone share their awakening or aha moment please?

Wife stuck Jan Somers book in front of me and said "read this, Janine at work is doing it".

I took one look and waved it away as some scam scheme or whatever.

Wife insisted. Ultimately I do what wife says, always.:D

Read the back cover, started on the inside and never put it down until finished.

First thing I said was "how long has this **** been going on?
We better get started !"

that was the ahaa moment for me.

before that I was a gambling smoking wasteful party animal.

Now financially doing way better than I ever thought possible, for me that is.

Just a matter of the penny dropping or more a case being informed of what is possible.
I never stopped enquiring and searching and learning about property investing ever since.

This forum was one of the first places to visit and is undoubtedly the best and most comprehensive source of property investment one could ever hope to find, IMHO.
The world opened up for us.

Still have friends who have no idea, or are not privy to investing, just live to work and spend it all.

tried to help them, but as the old adage says "you can lead a horse to water....."

This is the 1st time i have shared my AHA moment with anyone,i watched my parents raise 3 kids on 1 wage,always had a summer holiday in the tent,always well fed and watered,but i watched Mum & Dad work all their lives,paid off the house at 60,retired at 65 on minimal super,and bought the new car and survived on the pension.
The words Dad told me the next generation should live better than the last have always stayed with me.( My AHA Moment)I retired from work at 46 years of age,and live off my investment properties income. RIP Dad.

I think the closest is when reading Rich Dad Poor Dad when I was a kid, and after watching The Secrets during one of the gloomiest period of my life.

as a kid when first started studying accounting... couldn't understand how to make a profit if every entry was double entry!! the double entry accounting system is an incredible concept.

Dont laugh

My biggest aha moment was in 1994 when I went to see Gloria and Kenneth Copeland preaching in Brisbane at the Entertainment Centre. It was during the spiritual revival of that time when my obsession was to turn my life around.

Hubby and I both grew up in poverty, his family far worse off than mine. We were both raised on the proverbial Poverty Mentality, as well as a long string of WASP teachings about being nobodies whose sole purposes is to work hard to please our elders. Read "do whatever they ask of us", hubby even building an extension on his mother's house when he should have been working his business. She didn't pay him one cent.

Good Protestants expect to be poor, people who have money must have gotten it deceitfully. We certainly don't deserve to have any success or personal fulfilment in our lives, that would be sinful. I'm being extreme here, but you get the picture.

Apparently as Children of God, His own, we are just like the Ancient Children of Abraham - born to prosper. The promises of God to His people include good health, long peaceful lives, the fulfilment of one's desires and prosperity in all its forms. There are conditions and responsibilities of course, God isn't Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy.

It's all there in the Bible, even the King James for the Purists. In her seminars, Gloria had the auditorium lights put up so everyone could read along the blessings and prosperity scriptures with her. Apparently the church I was attending just ignores all the parts that don't support its own particular doctrines. Anyway, it's not merely the "Name it and claim it" doctrine that so many within our society have good reason to dislike. People can take bits out of context to make the Bible prove whatever they want it to, just as academics can make data support whatever agenda they wish to propose.

I met Jan Somers at Albany Creek at least 20 years ago and I have her original self-published book with those cute graphs and diagrams of Monopoloy houses. I had no idea how I was going to make it happen, but I "got" the meaning behind her graphs.

Other Aha moments came reading Rich Dad Poor Dad and The Millionaire Mindset. The other great epiphany was being diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome about five years ago. I truly know that there are some things I cannot possible do, and as much as my mother is still waiting for me to fulfil her goals for my life, I can move on and concentrate on fulfilling my dreams and achieving my goals instead. Investing is the pathway to realising my dreams and desires.

For me, a Peter Spann- the big bit was the free intro video lecture.

I was introduced by somebody at a drunk lunch.

Finding this forum came as a result of searching for Peter Spann. (I don't think I Googled. If Google was in use, it wasn't common, and the term wasn't in general use).

My accountant actually gave me the jolt to really get into property. It was then Rich Dad, Poor Dad, and particularly page 150 - 'find a reason greater than reality'. Love him or hate him, RK was very correct when he said that you need the deep emotional wants and don't wants to get you through the hard work of making it happen.

Somersoft keeps the activity alive. I just have to get out of this huge rut I'm currently in.

1) Write down goals. This dramatically increases the chance of achievement. For me, anyway.
2) I've discovered how little I "need" to be utterly happy and content in any--in EVERY--moment of my life. This epiphany was the culmination of much focused personal development, study of the mind/neuroscience, reading philosophy and intense study/practice of mindfulness meditation (all perpetual pursuits). This has had such a positive impact on me that I haven't the words, nor ability to accurately convey my state of mind. I've been living in unwavering bliss for quite some time.

Perhaps it will help to explain that I'm certain I'd be able to maintain complete contentment, happiness and well-being through anything that might come my way. Examples? If I lost everything, and everyone I knew. If I was forced into solitary confinement for the remainder of my life. If serious medical problems arose.

It's liberating.

So why am I even investing? It's not to improve my happiness, well-being or contentment--that's sorted. I'm just creating options (on the side), while I focus on my primary goal of extracting as much moment-to-moment happiness, well-being and contentment from each fraction of a second of conscious experience as I can, whilst improving myself as a human along the way.

This is the 1st time i have shared my AHA moment with anyone,i watched my parents raise 3 kids on 1 wage,always had a summer holiday in the tent,always well fed and watered,but i watched Mum & Dad work all their lives,paid off the house at 60,retired at 65 on minimal super,and bought the new car and survived on the pension.
The words Dad told me the next generation should live better than the last have always stayed with me.( My AHA Moment)I retired from work at 46 years of age,and live off my investment properties income. RIP Dad.
It seems your dad did a great job raising his kids too. As a father I don't think I want anything else other than 'respect' from our kids.

I truly know that there are some things I cannot possible do, and as much as my mother is still waiting for me to fulfil her goals for my life, I can move on and concentrate on fulfilling my dreams and achieving my goals instead. Investing is the pathway to realising my dreams and desires.
Nice!
Largely non-western parents try to achieve whatever they missed through their children. Having said that, they are trying to do the best they know. We just need to learn to manage their expectations.

Perhaps it will help to explain that I'm certain I'd be able to maintain complete contentment, happiness and well-being through anything that might come my way. Examples? If I lost everything, and everyone I knew. If I was forced into solitary confinement for the remainder of my life. If serious medical problems arose.
I'm not sure I will ever reach that stage... or even want to reach that stage. To me that kind of 'state of mind' spoils the purpose of 'living'.

Last edited:
Book

My "Aha moment" was when i finished reading "Richest man in Babylon" ..

Most of modern day banking and financial system works based on principal mentioned in that book.(i think)

One of my moments was going into a Property Seminar and coming out with a determination of buying my first property. Luckily, I didn't signup for the 15K course :eek: but did fast track buying my first property.

I also get lot of inspiration reading books and little aha moments.

had an AHH moment reading RK's RDPD.

prior to that almost had one when we rented a $60k house for $120wk and realised we were paying off the owners mortgage, bought our own house instead of an investment but it got gears moving although very slowly and took another 7 years and the RDPD book.

Had an 'aha' moment many years ago around responsibility.

I realized that everything I am, everything I achieve, and all that happens to me is almost exclusively due to my own choices and my own behaviours.

I can choose to be like others, and blame the system, or what other people did or bad luck from time to time.

But in reality, it was all due to my own efforts, commitment and dedication.

No-one else can do it for you, and if you want to succeed, you better get on your bike and start pedalling...

There is always a way forward, and always a solution. Never give up, and you will never be defeated.

My AHA! moment came really was more a realisation that striving for more and more money was wasted if we were not here to enjoy it.

Long ago, we made the decision for me to not work, be home with kids (my choice, but fully supported by hubby). He never put pressure on me to work once they were in school.

Four years ago, after 29 years with his employer, hubby's job had become so stressful (after having been a fantastic job or many years) that he took LSL (full pay). Three months later my mother was diagnosed with brain cancer and three and half months later she was gone. Hubby held the home together whilst I spent every day with Mum in hospital.

When time came to return to work, we both decided enough was enough, so at age 50, he "retired". He would have gone back to work if I pushed him, but I saw that as a really bad decision.

So... it is not like we were striving and collecting IPs whilst missing out on "living". We chose a different path. We certainly could not afford to live the high life, but neither did we want to live that sort of life. Instead, we lived what we feel was a balanced life, spent what we wished within reason, but never really missed what we could not afford.

Had we been more ambitious I would have returned to work and hubby would not have retired at 50. The real AHA! moment was that all this time, our choices to enjoy the journey, instead of working our buns off to gather more and more "stuff" and doing without in order to hold more and more houses was the right choice for us.

Seeing my fit, healthy, active mother's life turn on a dime just reinforced for me (and for hubby) that we need to live in the moment. There is nothing that I don't have that I wish I had.

Of course, if someone "gave" me another million, that would be lovely, but I'm not prepared to give up what we have to have more, when the work involved in having more could cost us precious time doing what we enjoy right now.

You just never know what is coming, so enjoy the "now".

Back