Air conditioning

Howdy,

A little OT but...

I'm in the process of pricing air conditioning systems for a new property.

I'm tending towards one of those reverse cycle ducted refrigerative thingys (rather than evaporative).
The cost though seems exhorbitant.
The quotes I've had are all around the $7000 mark. Getting a discount has been difficult.
I'm pooling together a few friends in Perth who will be needing systems in the next 6 months in the hope of getting a bulk discount.

I was wondering whether any forumites had been able to find a cheaper source of these systems?

cheers, Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hi Tony,

which city are you in?

can you get away with an evaporative system? costing around the $3,000 mark?

If you need to go refrigerated, I would shop around & see if you can get an all-in-one system for heating & cooling, may save you some money there (using same ducts & consolidate some other costs)...

I recently installed 2 ducted heating systems in Melb & got 4 quotes, the cheapest was around 30% cheaper for the same system (always good to note what brands & models they quote you on, to compare apples with apples)...

Good Luck,

Manny.

Reply: 1.1

Hi Manny,

>which city are you in?

I'm in Perth.

>can you get away with an
>evaporative system? costing
>around the $3,000 mark?

I could do that but my wife is set on the more expensive one. She had some logical reason for that, but it escapes me at the moment.
She is a good bargain hunter too, be it baby clothes, furniture, or property which is why I'm surprised we haven't found a cheaper price.

It's for our PPOR (will likely rent it in the future though).

>If you need to go
>refrigerated, I would shop
>around & see if you can get an
>all-in-one system for heating
>& cooling, may save you some
>money there (using same ducts
>& consolidate some other
>costs)...

That's the one we're looking at.

>I recently installed 2 ducted
>heating systems in Melb & got
>4 quotes, the cheapest was
>around 30% cheaper for the
>same system (always good to
>note what brands & models they
>quote you on, to compare
>apples with apples)...

30% is a good discount - we're struggling to get 5% after 5 quotes!
We must be looking in the wrong place.

What brands did you use?

cheers, Tony

Reply: 1.1.1

Hi Tony,

unfortunately I'm in Melbourne & for the heating (only) I looked at various brands such as Brivis & Vulcan... ended up going for the Vulcan for both IPs as it worked out cheaper, but still comes with a good warranty (plus Vulcan have been around long enough)...

If I recall the Brivis systems did have a product range that allowed for both cooling & heating... but its been a few months now & not 100% sure...

Try the good old trick of paying for $CASH$ on completion to see if they can drop their prices a little further... If you were in Melb I could have given you the person's details I dealt with, but try it out & see how you go (even if you get a couple more quotes from your local paper, look for smaller businesses, may have lower overheads & can possibly do a better deal)...

Cheers,

Manny.

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Hi Manny,

We haven't looked at those brands (yet).

Already using the cash 'trick'.

Will try out smaller businesses too.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Tony

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

hi tony,
i put in LG for all my IP cos they r cheaper and easier to get hold of parts and everything.
cost me about $4K including installation for a ducted system for the whole place and individual control for every room as well.

reason for me using LG is because of the teno stuff that they have like ring home to turn your air on and stuff...

if you are a member of NRMA they got a service call shoppers bargain u just tell them the brand and model number of the white goods that u want and u get the best price and u don't tell them so that they will come back with a better offer including delivery.

good luck tony

regards
jerry

Back