Airbnb and Strata

Good result, Jodes.
There would be buildings all over Sydney currently revising their by-laws to prohibit short term rentals.
Short stay guests don't always need to be noisy or disruptive. Sometimes residents just don't want somebody different staying in the flat across the hallway every weekend.

yeh I reckon there's a test case waiting to happen here. Something just doesn't sit right about it, am not sure what, but something along the lines of oppression of minority interests, misleading and deceptive conduct or something. Who are these nimbys to just arbitrarily rule on this stuff? when you bought the product it was allowed and after buying it you are now told you can't?

council laws aside of course. but if it is just enforcing council laws then it is not needed at all.

yeh I reckon there's a test case waiting to happen here. Something just doesn't sit right about it, am not sure what, but something along the lines of oppression of minority interests, misleading and deceptive conduct or something. Who are these nimbys to just arbitrarily rule on this stuff? when you bought the product it was allowed and after buying it you are now told you can't?

council laws aside of course. but if it is just enforcing council laws then it is not needed at all.

I agree with you except for the part about if the council laws prohibiting the practice. There is some use in having strata also be able to enforce any breaches too.

Good question VTT

Apparently some of the owners view it as a "security risk" - in their defense it seems we had some pretty stupid guests- one knocked on someone's door asking where unit ten was, and another tried to get into someone else's apartment thinking it was number ten which apparently scared the owner. :eek:

Security risk will be my concern as well if owners within my building is doing a short term BnB list. Regular tenants are listed and accounted for by building manager, but even then we have things broken and stolen within common area.
If people are changing every couple of days it'll be a lot more difficult to track who is who and who damage what.

Security risk will be my concern as well if owners within my building is doing a short term BnB list. Regular tenants are listed and accounted for by building manager, but even then we have things broken and stolen within common area.
If people are changing every couple of days it'll be a lot more difficult to track who is who and who damage what.

your building manager keeps tabs on your comings and goings? and how do they do that? obviously not watching too hard if things are being broken and stolen... what sort of things are lying around in the common property anyway?

In some local govt areas it is illegal and the OC and property owners have every right to have a concern with itinerants who couldn't give a rats about bylaws and the peaceful enjoyment of others. They can party and nothing can be done. This repeats over and over and over.

Owning a property in a strata does NOT give you a right to use it as you care.

Just this week a story about some cockc who advertises overnight kombi beds - Cant be driven. Its just for overnight accom. Parked on streets of Bondi. Illegally of course.

In some local govt areas it is illegal

in which case owners must abide by the law

the OC and property owners have every right to have a concern with itinerants who couldn't give a rats about bylaws and the peaceful enjoyment of others.

they can get concerned about whatever they like, but they can't stick their nose into others going about their lawful business

They can party and nothing can be done.

same as a hooligan tenant. they can do whatever they can do

This repeats over and over and over.

so the story goes

Owning a property in a strata does NOT give you a right to use it as you care.

actually it does

Just this week a story about some cockc who advertises overnight kombi beds - Cant be driven. Its just for overnight accom. Parked on streets of Bondi. Illegally of course.

this is off topic

The problem with subletting or short term lending is you might of effectively changed the use and building classification without knowing. You've gone from a class 2 to a 3 (under BCA), the essential services for these building classifications are different.

From a planning point of view - it's an intensification of use,

From a BCA point of view - there is a change in classification which has different requirements for fire safety measures

From a strata point of view - it may effect insurance for the building.

Think one thing- fire, what happens if something happens and there's a fire. Strata (insurance) and council only think about these things and plus obviously there's an amenity thing. How would you like it if you lives next door to a place that had people with suitcases moving in and out every second day?

Some councils have been enforcing airbnb issues, but this issue has yet to be ruled by the courts...there will be soon. let's wait and see

Back