Airbnb hosts in Tasmania

I'm looking to rent out my house in Hobart on a short term basis whilst I'm living interstate. I'm a bit confused about the legality of it in Tassie. Since there are so many people here doing it, perhaps some of you can share your experiences?

My understanding is that I would need to cancel my personal home insurance policy and get a short term holiday rental insurance product.

Do I need to get council permission (dreading the thought of this), or just do it on the quiet and hope no neighbours notice/complain.

I wouldn't want to void my insurance policy for example if I didn't have the necessary council approval.

Also I am wondering if anyone in Hobart (Sandy Bay area) knows a service/person who would be interested in managing it for me - getting keys to guests, organising cleaning, inspection etc.

thanks.

You will need a landlord insurance policy that specifically mentions short term lets. The insurance companies are having trouble getting their heads around the new economy. One day, someone at one of those companies is going to say to themselves, 'Hey, there are 30,000 Airbnb listings with inadequate insurance. maybe we should try and get a slice of that.'

I'm not sure about Tassie, but up here if you decided to approach the council, they would make you lodge a DA for 'change of use'. Neighbours would be invited to comment and you would need to make modifications to the property.

Your problem, as you realise, will be managing this from interstate. I could not imagine doing that.

Back