AirBnB Neighbours Wrecking Our Lives

Our neighbours have turned their home into an AirBnB.

Although I would normally be a fan of AirBnB, the bogan types who regularly move in every week are more than a nuisance.

The noise, the marijuana smoke, the late night parties, the constant swearing......its all too much.

We live in a decent neighbourhood, on the waterfront, in a residential area that some would consider "upper crust."

What's the most expedient and diplomatic thing to do?

Depends what your goal is.

I'd be surprised if they had planning permission (unless the owners also live there), so you could make a complaint to the council.

If you make them jump through hoops it will only delay the inevitable.

While the owners are responsible for the house, the guests are responsible for themselves.

I would suggest seriously talking to the owner about the problems - without complaining.

Our neighbours have turned their home into an AirBnB.

Although I would normally be a fan of AirBnB, the bogan types who regularly move in every week are more than a nuisance.

The noise, the marijuana smoke, the late night parties, the constant swearing......its all too much.

We live in a decent neighbourhood, on the waterfront, in a residential area that some would consider "upper crust."

What's the most expedient and diplomatic thing to do?

Pay the Bandido's to have a party there one weekend is one option. Have you spoken to Police and allowed them to make their own assessment ? Covert video surveillance may assist them. Jaycar Electronics sell some small wireless devices within budget.

I've had a similar issue.

Keep records of dates of incidents. Call the local police station (not 000) whenever the excessive noise happens.... and call on a phone that has records of outgoing calls logged. And also ask the police to log the call & the result (they don't usually!).

Put in a complaint to council every time.
Ask other affected neighbors to complain to police & council every time.

Build up a pattern of antisocial behavior.

Ask council to investigate if the property has a DA for short term accommodation.

Find the owners phone numbers & call them whenever the noise occurs (but after the police have arrived).

You can also get the court to issue a noise abatement order on both the guests & the owner... see http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/noise/noiseabatement.htm

And talk to the local police station about options - the police can issue their own noise abatement order & confiscate sound equipment & fine them on the spot. They will soon get fed up with being called out to the same property.

Anyone who lets strangers into their home for a fee must be prepared to put up with negative consequences. Although I feel sorry for people who have had their homes trashed by their AirBnB customers, I feel sorrier for their neighbors who have to put up with bad behavior without having any benefit whatsoever. The last few days have been hell. I don't want AirBnB anywhere near where I live......

I've been speaking with a few lenders about Airbnb recently as I have a few clients who've mentioned they're renting houses with them.

Potentially good for your cash flow, but lenders generally aren't on board, most didn't even know about it.
* In the best case you'll need to declare all of the income in your tax return which is then used as evidence for rental.
* In a few cases they'd accept a rental estimate from a real estate agent. They'll often ask for some additional info to verify that the rental estimate isn't exaggerated.
* With a few you'd have trouble even demonstrating regular rental income. They simply want accept it.

Makes me wonder how insurers will view this use of a property.

depending on how it is used and what council/state you are in, it could be technically an unauthorised use.

I know of a few cases where the council has commenced enforcement action on properties being let out on airbnb.

Firstly, try not to catastrophise: a bit - or even a lot - of party noise doesn't "wreck your life".

Secondly, I suspect the Council will be able to help you more than police; they have enormous powers to act on planning violations.

Thirdly, do you have a body corporate? Their rules probably prohibit this use, too.

Cassandra, you haven't told us where you live? People in coastal areas have been having trouble with party houses for years. Airbnb is just a platform. Out of town, Stayz has more traction. It's in metro areas where Airbnb seems to be making most ground.
I would talk to the owner first, and escalate things pretty quickly if you have no luck. The owners are being lazy with screening people.

Insurers are getting their heads around it, Peter. The banks are a bit slower. I'm going through the hoops now on a loan and I think my Airbnb income was taken into account - it's been in my last three tax returns. I'm not 100% though, because my LVR is very low so maybe is it wasn't needed.

Back