AirBnB Success Stories

Now that we have built up some good reviews, we have upped the price significantly and are still getting lots of bookings- over the next 3 months, we only have a few nights free and we have even delayed moving in as we received a month look booking we just couldn't resist! We have also received a bunch of bookings we declined as we thought we were moving in (which we may not now).

We also received a 3 month booking request for Oct-Dec which we are contemplating whether to take.... We could achieve around $5,000 per month but probably closer to $2500 if we rented it out long term.

Did your lease say you could sublet?

jodes would be refering to their new PPOR.

Did your lease say you could sublet?

As turk said, it was for our PPOR that we airbnb'd out (I realise my post was quite unclear!) :)

Forgot to add before, we took out landlord insurance through Terri Schaur (sp?) and stipulated it was short term rental, down to one night, and told us we are absolutely covered. It was around $500 for the year.

professional property mangers in short let accomm only change the doona covers every 4 or 5 guests. There is just too much linen otherwise.

Apparently the new thing is triple sheeting: fitted bottom sheet, an instead of a Doona, two flat sheets with a blanket in-between.

really interesting thread. We have a whole ground floor that we used to call the dungeon. Have put in huge new picture windows instead of the tiny little obscure glass ones. Have cut through the brick and put in a new glass front door so it has its own entrance. Will cut through the back brick wall and use our house's existing laundry to make a luxury bathroom. This will have a door that can be locked off from our house. It is going to be "guest quarters". It does have a 2200 high roof which you dont actually notice now the windows are in and so much light coming in. Evidently (according to the Block) you only need full height in the bedroom and I was thinking we could take out the ceiling over the bed space and paint the rafters which would bring us up to full height. I dont intend a full kitchen (one of the nicest ones we stayed in France in was a cupboard with some crockery and a plastic washup dish to be filled from the bathroom) Anyway, long story short, air b&b is looking good. We are in a seaside tourist town and I thought we would make it a quirky interesting 'artists space' type fitout and charge cheap ($140 pn) and see how it flys

Hi guys. Quick question for those renting via airbnb. How do the banks treat the income coming via airbnb rent when you apply for your next loans?

Renting through airbnb has its potential. I'm just not sure how it work from the point of view of the next finance applications.

Hi guys. Quick question for those renting via airbnb. How do the banks treat the income coming via airbnb rent when you apply for your next loans?

Renting through airbnb has its potential. I'm just not sure how it work from the point of view of the next finance applications.

Airbnb really helps with holding costs and cashflow but for refinancing purposes, I was asked to get a letter from a rental agency to state how much it would attract as a standard rental. Not sure if there are lenders out there that would take the higher income you get from Airbnb.

Our airbnb success story is unfortunately over- our strata has now formally banned it. We were planning to move in at the end of this month regardless so it's actually been great timing but disappointing nonetheless as it would be nice to rent it out on weekends and holidays !

Bummer, did they actually write in a by-law banning it and did all owners get an opportunity to vote on the by-law?

Guessing that most NIMBY owner-occupiers in blocks would vote no anyway :/

Bummer, did they actually write in a by-law banning it and did all owners get an opportunity to vote on the by-law?

Guessing that most NIMBY owner-occupiers in blocks would vote no anyway :/

I didn't actually attend the meeting as I am overseas for work but from speaking with my fiance/ co-owner who attended, it seems as though someone reported us to council (who haven't yet responded), but will withdraw their complaint assuming we stop as the consider "the issue resolved". We got a bit scared and didn't really want to fight as we were also seeking approval for some renovations in the same meeting but I don't think it's an official by-law. We may consider bringing the point up at our AGM in a few months ;)

Back