Aircon replacement

Hi,
If we had a box type aircon and a gas heater in the same room and both needed attention, is it permissible in Vic to just replace the aircon with a reverse cycle model and do nothing with the heater?

Tools

Don't see why not. I doubt there is any regulation. Just make sure you get the gas disconnected from the heater by a qualified plumber/gasfitter.

I am not looking at this from a plumbing or electrical reg perspective, but from the POV of my obligation to the tenant. Box air cons aren't known for being the most economical to run, especially in heating mode compared to a gas heater. If it was between tenancies then I could box on but given that the tenant has had the use of the gas heater for the past 5 years I am trying to determine if it can be changed to a potentially more expensive form of heating. The other side of the it is that the intent was to leave the heater installed and not open a can of worms by removing it so my thought is that if it is installed then it needs to work, especially as it has done so for the past 5 years. Just looking for some sort of reg either way for a determination.

Tools

If the window rattler is reasonably inefficient (no doubt that it is but cooling is usually the problem not heating), consider getting a wall mounted split system and replace the pane of glass.

Is the gas heater a non-flued type? Then it could be an upgrade to get rid of the older style and replace with less hazardous a/c.

Does the tenant use the gas heater?

Hi Scott,
The heater is flued and the tenant has been using it and that is my concern. The aircon will cost more to heat the room, and that is my concern but I can't find anything that spells out if it is permissible to change fixtures for something that may be less efficient, I know people will say that we need to provide them everything that was in the house when they took out the lease, but I can't find anything enshrined in writing that spells any of this out.

Tools

Two options:

1: sell the better ac unit to the tenant as an improvement not replacement.; or

2: 'talk to the tenants', unheard of I know but it will flush out any potential issues.

Back