Alan Bond..

the funds were used to support bond corp - steal is a very emotional word and detracts from the amazing things he did for this country. It would be good to have some of that 80s corporate spirit back

ALAN BOND: HOW IT HAPPENED
1987 Pays $1 billion for Kerry Packer's Channel Nine television network;
1990 Sells Nine back to Packer for $700 million as his business empire collapses.

BRW has a slightly different take.

They say Packer sold the stations for $800 million from Bond in cash and $250 million in the form of subordinated debt - effectively a giant sized IOU.

Then when Bond's bankers finally moved, Packer was able to trade his $250 million IOU for a 37% equity stake in the business.

So he didn't pay $250 million for an asset he'd sold for more than $1 billion three years earlier (as has been reported on occasion), but he had taken $800 million off the table and regained control of a business worth over $700 million for nothing.

Last edited:
He never stole anything, the money was willingly given and he did many great things with it.
He also taught middle aged Australian men how to dress with style. :D

4 years for the theft of $1200 million over many years and they call it justice. "He did his time" etc by the same people egging on the executioners in other threads. I just don't understand... He did massive damage in his life.

Many of the substantial things he did, the "achievements" he is being remembered for, was with money he stole or defrauded from others. He was no self made billionaire - rather a billionaire thief. Would he be lauded if he walked into banks and servos and robbed them at gunpoint? Yet his method was far more subtle and devious than that - as well as devastatingly more effective.

And here we are in this very thread blaming the victims for letting their money get stolen in what they thought and were assured was a rock solid investment? For those with short memories Bell Resources was "blue chip". We only know about the need to diversify because of the stories of people whose lives were shattered by people like this. Blaming the victim - from the same school of thought that blames rape on short skirts or would let drug traffickers go free because it's all the user's fault after all...

Condolences to the family nevertheless at this time.

Ironically it was diversification that brought about his downfall, yet now everybody is doing it.

As for "blue Chip", it's dated terminology that clouds rational thought and arrests action.

Wow, he never stole anything and yet he was sentenced to seven years in jail. I must have read the wrong story.

HiEquity has nailed it. We get things pretty wrong in this country when it comes to crooks who become folk heroes. Must be the convict stain ;)

must admit, I knew very little about him but what stuck in my mind is the following

got sentenced to a few years for fraud, 7yrs I believe, which is a heck of a long time, so I assume he was quite naughty and ripped off a lot of people

he was bankrupt but as soon as he got out of jail, he bought or did some deal with a mine in africa or something like that,

so like a lot of rich people who are bankrupt, im sure he had gazillions hidden away to be able to do more deals, and im sure he is a brilliant businessman,

still on the fence as whether to think he is a australian icon or a fraudster

regardless, he does have a kind looking face!

He never stole anything, the money was willingly given and he did many great things with it.
He also taught middle aged Australian men how to dress with style. :D

Of course he stole money, what nonsense to claim otherwise.

When he bought a painting from his company at a deep discount and then sold it for a quick profit you don't think he stole money from his company and therefore every investor in that business?

You'll read that he was the world's best salesman.

It looks like that even in death he's sucked some people into believing he was a clean skin lol.

Some quotes attributed to the great man.

Supposed friends? seem to think that because I have been to prison that I must still walk around wearing a suit emblazoned with arrows.

You? wonder what went wrong and why you are in prison when other people are still walking the streets freely after having failed in their business and gone bankrupt, or when company directors have lost billions of shareholders? dollars.

Look what happened to AMP in Australia when in two years to mid-2003 more than $15 billion of shareholders? funds were written off the value of the company. I ask, could they survive a Sultan-type inquiry after that? Probably not.

Don?t worry about the money. Let?s get to the deal.

The question of fear of failure doesn?t enter into the equation for me.

Generally everyone?s lifestyle is proportionate to their wealth, and believe me happiness does not necessarily come in the same proportion.

I?ve always believed that you should put back into the community what you get out of it?

I was the one who gambled on four challenges for the America?s cup?

Hats off to people who tried but didn't get there.

Why are people harping on about crimes that he did the time for?

Jealousy I would say more than anything else.

The man faced the music.
Who else beside him and perhaps Nick Leeson from the same era faced the music and did some solid time for it?

Back