Alan Bond..

Jealousy I would say more than anything else.

The man faced the music.
Who else beside him and perhaps Nick Leeson from the same era faced the music and did some solid time for it?

Didn't Alan Bond face court in 1994 with a mind gone blank?

"I can't recall" became a famous cry

I'm all for celebrating the achievements, but there were lows also

Didn't Alan Bond face court in 1994 with a mind gone blank?

"I can't recall" became a famous cry

I'm all for celebrating the achievements, but there were lows also

Ah come on, anyone can have a blank mind, especially when you've whistled away over a billion dollars. It can happen to anyone.

"what billion dollars? I can't recall any billion dollars. Has anyone seen any billion dollars laying around? Check behind the sofa"

Something I just remembered.... (I read about this years ago)

Australian businessman Alan Bond walks free from jail

Former high-flying Australian business tycoon Alan Bond was released from a West Australian jail last Thursday night after serving a little more than three years for corporate frauds in excess of $1.2 billion.

Paul Barry, a journalist who has chronicled Bond's rise and fall, has calculated that Bond's release after 1,298 days meant that he spent roughly one day behind bars for every million dollars he stole. Barry pointed to the recent mandatory sentencing in the Northern Territory of a young Aboriginal man to a year's jail for stealing $23 worth of cordial and biscuits*. Had the same formula applied to Bond, he would have been imprisoned for 50 million years

Yet while Barry and numerous other media pundits have objected to the glaring disparity between the two cases, none have gone beyond making the fairly obvious comment that there is one law for the rich and another law for the poor. Both cases illustrate, in fact, how the legal system systematically protects corporate property.

[*A custodial sentence imposed following his 3rd property offence, but still...]

Something I just remembered.... (I read about this years ago)

Australian businessman Alan Bond walks free from jail

Former high-flying Australian business tycoon Alan Bond was released from a West Australian jail last Thursday night after serving a little more than three years for corporate frauds in excess of $1.2 billion.

Paul Barry, a journalist who has chronicled Bond's rise and fall, has calculated that Bond's release after 1,298 days meant that he spent roughly one day behind bars for every million dollars he stole. Barry pointed to the recent mandatory sentencing in the Northern Territory of a young Aboriginal man to a year's jail for stealing $23 worth of cordial and biscuits*. Had the same formula applied to Bond, he would have been imprisoned for 50 million years

Yet while Barry and numerous other media pundits have objected to the glaring disparity between the two cases, none have gone beyond making the fairly obvious comment that there is one law for the rich and another law for the poor. Both cases illustrate, in fact, how the legal system systematically protects corporate property.

[*A custodial sentence imposed following his 3rd property offence, but still...]

oh a young aboriginal man, bang there's the money shot

sadly this country seems more obsessed with money than perpetrators of violent crimes like rape and murder

To be fair to Bondy,a mate of mine told me that the prisoners used to be lined up outside his cell for financial advice,so he gave back to society in his own way!

the funds were used to support bond corp - steal is a very emotional word and detracts from the amazing things he did for this country. It would be good to have some of that 80s corporate spirit back

it's a live and well - just not in this country.

it's called the USA.

Wasn't most of it squirrelled away overseas

Yes. The name Jurg Bollag should give some insight.

Steal the money and then give it to a Swiss "banker" to buy your assets for you. Such a wonderful example of entrepreneurship for all the kiddies watching on - a real hero!

The words "steal" and "fraud" are emotional because they are emotional subjects. Those are the things Alan Bond was convicted of.

Anyone can finance a yacht race with stolen money. Fortunately, not many people do....

http://www.news.com.au/news/bond-wants-us-to-forget-his-dodgy-past/story-fna7dq6e-1111112699033

To be fair to Bondy,a mate of mine told me that the prisoners used to be lined up outside his cell for financial advice,so he gave back to society in his own way!

I wonder what he would have said?

'well you take 1 joint of marijuana, sell it to the next person with a markup, double the mark up if they are desperate/dumb/guillable, now do what I do and replace marijuana with stocks/cash'

I see on the day of his death the replica of the America's cup at Royal Perth Yacht Club broke in half. That's seriously freaky!

I wonder what he would have said?

'well you take 1 joint of marijuana, sell it to the next person with a markup, double the mark up if they are desperate/dumb/guillable, now do what I do and replace marijuana with stocks/cash'

He actually tutored classroom environment business planning & personal finance type courses.

Back