Alcohol fuelled violence

Is the Problem Alcohol or attitude
IMO the sooner the bring back Corporal punishment into the school systems the better

Certainly getting the cane or strap never did anyone any harm (Not that I ever got it) but did teach respect for others

Attitude problem rather than alcohol problem. Loss of personal responsibility and everyone else is to blame/owes me/I'm better than them I've got to prove it level of insecurity.

Time to cut talk of "rights" (you do not have the right to an education, job, welfare, level of living, license to drive, ability to drink alcohol) and instead start talking about "responsibilities" (be a productive member of society, do not be disruptive in the classroom, be aware of others and the value of their lives, earn a living (through job or self employment), respect the road rules and others using the road).

Cranky Gen Y wondering what Australia is going to be like for her kids. (Seriously looking at Singapore or US in 12 years time as an option - I've got a 4 month old son I don't want to bring up in the current Australian coming of age/drinking environment)

Jail time should also be a punishment equal to the crime committed. Australia's sentencing is a joke.

It is a total joke. These people should not be locked away and I can not wait for the penalties to be harsher.

I was king hit with a glass 12 years ago. My attacker received a $1200 fine.
I was lucky to walk away with limited injuries, but my confidence was shattered for years. It effected me that much that I hated being in a public venue.

Shut hotels/clubs at 10pm. Simple, it worked before will work again.

Also, the coppers need to do their job, in other words, the system needs to back them to do it, not treat them suspiciously.

No respect today, zero from a growing and increasingly angry generation.

Certainly getting the cane or strap never did anyone any harm (Not that I ever got it) but did teach respect for others

I grew up in this environment,and got the "cuts" more than once and the beach bat in primary school,it does teach you respect.
We have turned soft to any form of punishment because of all the do gooders.:(

Shut hotels/clubs at 10pm. Simple, it worked before will work again.

When, where, how? I'm genuinely interested about this.
My thoughts have actually been different to this for a long time. I've often thought that longer hours may be an answer. Sounds counter-intuitive (and sure to rile some) but when I go to Northbridge or Freo for a late night the problems seem to 'explode' around the lead up to 1pm when the pubs are closing and everyone is suddenly out on the street and looking for the next 'thing' to happen. Not a taxi in sight, public transport is finished, lets stand in a taxi queue or wander the street with all the other inebriated people. Later, staggered closing times might work. Or maybe just prolong the agony?

I'm just thinking that even with a 10pm closing time people will just smash the alcohol down till 10pm anyway. More drinks in a shorter time?

Is the Problem Alcohol or attitude
IMO the sooner the bring back Corporal punishment into the school systems the better

HaHa. I used to get hit a lot. First by my Dad and quite a lot from teachers and Headmasters at school. All it taught me was how to take a beating without flinching. It certainly didn't teach me respect for those applying the punishment.
I distinctly remember the last time my Dad hit me. It must have dawned on him that if I had decided to retaliate he would have been mince meat.

Anyway my days of public drunkenness was in the 70's. It was quite common to become involved in street fights or fights at parties. Some troublemakers would make a nuisance for no good reason and it would be on, jumping to the defence of friends or relations.
I also worked nights behind the scenes at an entertainment venue and was occasionally called upon to defend the front desk staff from violent patrons.
One thing I notice is in those days you didn't see as many people bulked up from weight lifting and steroid use as you do now. Perhaps the internet has got something to do with that. Roid rage and lack of empathy.

So the do gooders need eliminating and bring back the full force of the law.
I agree, had the strap and cane at school as a kid and that taught respect, or at least doing wrong hurt and when we got older we got into minor trouble as kids do and our parents got a visit from the cops and we got in trouble and, as we got old enough to drink, it wasnt unheard of for the cops to give idiots a bit of a beating to bring them back into line and it did mostly.
Hard core idiots that continued, got locked in a cage (Jail) like dumb viscous animals should.

The police service needs re-naming to police FORCE as it was and given the powers they need to bring the animals inline.

And what are the parents of these thugs doing behind all this?

What have they been doing for the last 20 years?

Obviously not raising their sons correctly.

I have two boys, and we spend a lot of our time trying to teach them right from wrong, danger from safety, good from bad, respect, manners, living a life with class, dignity and so on...it's a never-ending job.

I would be more likely to try and fly to the moon than to have ever gone down the road and punch some complete stranger in the head - especially from behind - without provocation and /or fear from attack, either drunk or sober.

I'm pretty sure our 12 year old son is the same, and I reckon/hope our 4 year old might be an ok human.

My fear is they will be the victim not the offender, and no kid is safe from the gutless attack from behind.

I agree, had the strap and cane at school as a kid and that taught respect, or at least doing wrong hurt and when we got older we got into minor trouble as kids do and our parents got a visit from the cops and we got in trouble and, as we got old enough to drink, it wasnt unheard of for the cops to give idiots a bit of a beating to bring them back into line and it did mostly.
Hard core idiots that continued, got locked in a cage (Jail) like dumb viscous animals should.

The police service needs re-naming to police FORCE as it was and given the powers they need to bring the animals inline.
Yes; same here.

In those times, the parents would go down to the school - not to give the teachers the "How dare you chastise my Johnny?!" - but to find out what their kid did so they could then dish out the punishment at home as well.

They would give you a belting, then send you to your room for the rest of the night, and anything else that they dreamed up.

I'm not keen on kids getting belted; my sons have hardly ever had one....but they get punished for sure.

Last edited:
I and a few mates, received a good booting up the dinger from the cops once. It pulled us all totally into line.

To this day I credit and thank the cops for doing that.

It was better than what they offered as an alternative to us all, ie: "how about we go see your Fathers now boys?"

I gew up fearing the police, and rightly so.

Today, the cops are not feared therefore these type of crimes are rampant and out of control.

Time to take back the streets. Wind back the clock, get rid of the do gooders and people can then relax again.

When, where, how? I'm genuinely interested about this.
My thoughts have actually been different to this for a long time. I've often thought that longer hours may be an answer. Sounds counter-intuitive (and sure to rile some) but when I go to Northbridge or Freo for a late night the problems seem to 'explode' around the lead up to 1pm when the pubs are closing and everyone is suddenly out on the street and looking for the next 'thing' to happen. Not a taxi in sight, public transport is finished, lets stand in a taxi queue or wander the street with all the other inebriated people. Later, staggered closing times might work. Or maybe just prolong the agony?

I'm just thinking that even with a 10pm closing time people will just smash the alcohol down till 10pm anyway. More drinks in a shorter time?

Everywhere, back in the 60's and 70's and early 80's and it was law to shut at 10pm.

In fact pubs used to be closed at 6pm believe it or not.
The old "6 oclock swill" isnt a patch on the 2am antics of today.:rolleyes:

People should go home or to a private place to get smashed & not be allowed out in public.
While responsible adults who wish to celebrate or relax with a coldie or three and go home at 10pm should be undisturbed in doing so.

I believe that testing of troublemakers should be for all "substances"

Licensed venues are the drawcards because they provide entertainment and dark places to buy and sell drugs.

Having 4 coppers in the family I get to hear all the stories behind the headlines and they are adamant that it is actually drugs that are the problem. When it takes 4 large blokes to hold down one jockey sized person it is not booze causing the problem. That guy in Sydney was tazered 14 times and it never even slowed him down, according to the media he was on LSD.

People seem to forget that police officers are just people like you and I, they fear for their own safety at times and really should not have to put their lives at risk to pamper some idiot who has chosen to take drugs and is now running amok.

If someone was to drink alcohol or take drugs and then drive, they can be arrested and punished yet if someone bashes a person while under the influence of substances it is used as an excuse for their behaviour, I think it should increase the penalty for being an idiot.

I can see that people want to go out and having worked in the club scene for a few years I think the best compromise is the "lockout". If you make it that after, say 1.30 am, you cannot enter a licensed premises it does 2 things, it stops people roaming from place to place and it also stops them from playing up if they are already inside a venue because they don't want get thrown out.

The other thing that really needs to be addressed is the sentencing, the judges are so far out of touch that the community is losing respect and the bash artists just laugh it off. A $1000 fine is nothing to them, a five year sentence is something completely different. If a mate gets put inside for bashing someone then the others will think twice before doing it themselves IMO.

I would be happy for any person to be banned from licensed venues if they have a criminal conviction relating to violence.
Absolutely. It would be good if all venues did this - it sends a message out that these thugs aren't welcome in public.

I believe that testing of troublemakers should be for all "substances"

Licensed venues are the drawcards because they provide entertainment and dark places to buy and sell drugs.

Having 4 coppers in the family I get to hear all the stories behind the headlines and they are adamant that it is actually drugs that are the problem.

Magic pill type drugs for sure as I just dont go out anymore due to these sort of idiots.
I have a friend who is now an acquaintance who I avoid like the plague as he is moody, angry, argumentative and irrational and seemingly on the edge of violent outbursts who takes "pills and powders" (along with copious vodka/redbulls) and when I used to see him more regularly, his drug fiend friends displayed similar traits.

Back in the 80's it was more along the lines of smoke a bit of weed, drink some beers, laugh like an idiot at nothing and then find some comfortable lounge to melt into. Rarely did one see displays of anger and certainly not from the weed crowd.

What dismays me - perhaps it's my ignorance showing - is that when things like this get reported, we're told that 'x has been charged and bailed to appear in court in May' (or whenever), months away. I well understand that there are cases that involve large bodies of evidence that have to sifted and this needs time, but when it's A hits B and is promptly arrested, IMO the legal process should be able to deal with them in short order. If they're guilty of extreme violence, they shouldn't be out on bail for months; if not, then being remanded for months is equally unjust.

10pm closing times are all well and good if you tend to be tucked up in bed after your usual sunday night ABC/BBC crime drama, but not really appropriate for a global city. In any case, the statistics for non domestic violence related assault are on a downward trend, both as a per populace figure and as actual numbers.

I think there is also a question that needs to be asked, rather than knee jerk let police hit people again/close everything down, which is why English culture cannot handle drinking without turning to violence. Go to Spain, France etc etc and there will be drinking, but it is more about enjoying company than getting as wasted as you can and having a fight. In England it is much more similar to Australia. Alcohol is seen as something to drink a lot of without caring about, rather than an enjoyable aspect of social integration etc.

In the recent instances the issue hasn't been alcohol per se. It has been how alcohol has reacted with steriods - it is classic roid rage rather than a couple of drunk guys having a bit of a blue round the back of the pub. The fascination with increasing outwards appearance rather than growing as a person is perhaps more to blame than what time a pub shuts.

And what are the parents of these thugs doing behind all this?

What have they been doing for the last 20 years?

Obviously not raising their sons correctly.

How would one raise a child in these time when the good old smack on the backside is now classed as assault

Back