All Dual Occupancy, sub-division unit/townhouse Q&A

Hi,

Since there has been so many different blogs Questions, I thought it'll be good to start off a fresh Forum only related to DUal Occupancy Sub-Divisions

I'm thinking of including:

a) Townplanning Permit related enquiries
b) Building Permit related enquiry
c) Feasability Calculators
d) Contact details for people involved ( Draftsperson, Builder, Engineers, Land Surveyor etc)
e) Objections from Council neighbours
f) Personal Success Stories
g) Fees & Charges ( What is a reasonable amount for various services)
h) Timeframes for the projects undertaken
i) Things to consider during various Phases
j) Various stratergies
k) Tax related expenses ( GST CGT etc)
l) Photos
m) Drawings ( What works/doesnt work)
n) Building cost associated with townhouses

Thoughts folks!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not experienced but i thought there are so many enquiries related to this with no single source of truth & absence of common approach

For sake of consistency & easy accessibility, i thought this could be a good starting point to kick this off

I am attaching one of my Feasibility Calculator for review/Opinions STILL WIP

I would like to share my experiences as I move along

Thanks in advance
Manish

You guys are amazing...keep us the good work

Attachments

• feastudy manish.xls
    22.5 KB · Views: 204
Hi,

Since there has been so many different blogs Questions, I thought it'll be good to start off a fresh Forum only related to DUal Occupancy Sub-Divisions

I'm thinking of including:

a) Townplanning Permit related enquiries
b) Building Permit related enquiry
c) Feasability Calculators
d) Contact details for people involved ( Draftsperson, Builder, Engineers, Land Surveyor etc)
e) Objections from Council neighbours
f) Personal Success Stories
g) Fees & Charges ( What is a reasonable amount for various services)
h) Timeframes for the projects undertaken
i) Things to consider during various Phases
j) Various stratergies
k) Tax related expenses ( GST CGT etc)
l) Photos
m) Drawings ( What works/doesnt work)
n) Building cost associated with townhouses

Thoughts folks!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not experienced but i thought there are so many enquiries related to this with no single source of truth & absence of common approach

For sake of consistency & easy accessibility, i thought this could be a good starting point to kick this off

I am attaching one of my Feasibility Calculator for review/Opinions STILL WIP

I would like to share my experiences as I move along

Thanks in advance
Manish

You guys are amazing...keep us the good work

I like this idea. Im currently getting my corner block surveyed looking at building on the back. I will have questions and i will also post up my expieriences. Good and bad.

CGT & GST Implications on sub-division of PPOR

My Plan of attack after demolishing our existing PPOR

FOr first 12 months:

LIVE in my Townhouse (A) PPOR for 12 months
and rent out Townhouse (B) for 12 months

After 12 months:

Sell townhouse (A) after : No CGT on Sale as this my PPOR
Move into (B) after 12 months: Live in there for 12 months and sell 50 % CGT relief.

As far as GST goes, I spoke to a colleague of mine who has done sub-division and he said GST won;t be applicable to you as you are not self-employed or a licenced builder. If you are selling your PPOR there should not be any GST or CGT.

How true is that?

Then I spoke to a building designer and he said the same thing and said i have never heard this for a PPOR as you are paying to the builders for construction who will charge you GST in their construction costs anyways. So GST is not applicabe for you.

Agaiin i'll discuss this with an accountant soon but just wanting to get some thoughts

thanks in advance

townhouse development spreadsheet take II

I have made slight chnages and put together this townhouse calculator
( posted before in the past by another SS user) enabling you to perform early analysis for profitability of a development before engaging an accountant to validate the numbers.

NB: This is just high-level numbers and may/may not suit everyones needs and it is imperative to hire an accountant to do a job. As mentioned by user of SS in tyhe past, this is designed only to give an indication on the viability of a proposed project.

can some experiences smart investors and builders provide input to the numbers $$$ which will assist beginners like me to understand more about the development analysis and gain more knowledge/.

Any constructive crtiticism would be ok as i'm still in learning phase before i get onto any sortt of journey.:confused:

i'll be glad if people amend the spreadsheet and re-attach till we make it one of the super models to be included in SS Spread sheet collection ( Information resource):cool:

Attachments

• mentone1.xls
    30 KB · Views: 221
Manish, are you still looking for a builder? I can recommend you a builder who builds in that area and is very reasonable. Loved your mentone spreadsheet. I did a similar project in Chelsea but I was unable to sell. Ended up renting the property and re-financing it for my next project.

Get an accountant to check your GST numbers. I think you did very well getting a dual occupancy site for 406K in Mentone.

Last edited:
Thanks MKM

Can you recommend an accountant to me. I am thinking of going weith James GG from House of Wealth.

And yes can you PM me some builder details.

Manish, are you still looking for a builder? I can recommend you a builder who builds in that area and is very reasonable. Loved your mentone spreadsheet. I did a similar project in Chelsea but I was unable to sell. Ended up renting the property and re-financing it for my next project.

Get an accountant to check your GST numbers. I think you did very well getting a dual occupancy site for 406K in Mentone.

Back