All In One Remote Problem

I've got problems! My TV remote died some months ago so I've been manually turning the TV on and off - no problems. Finally found the repair place for it and they 'fixed' it. (I say found the repair place because they'd gone into receivership and repair places hadn't been set up yet.) Anyway, remote now worked, TV worked, but they didn't work with each other so I took the remote back to them. Since then they've had it 8 weeks and, I've had no phone calls from them and when I ring them it diverts to the Melbourne service centre who are very nice, but can't help. Anyway, that's not my problem............. :(

I gave up on the whole thing and bought an all in one remote today and proceeded to 'tune in' the TV. Procedure is - turn on the device you want to tune in - DONE - go through some button pushing steps while it finds your TV code and it will switch your TV off when it finds it - DONE. Press a button to lock that in - DONE. To turn the device (TV) back on, press the CH button every 2 seconds until the TV comes on - NOT HAPPENING!!!!!!!! I've been pushing the CH buttons - CH+ and CH- for hours plus other buttons, plus reading and re-reading the instructions and nothing! I've even turned the TV off at the wall, waited a few minutes, but my TV refuses to come back on. The red stand by light is showing and that's it! There is absolutely nothing! Black screen & zero sound, not a crackle, not a flicker, not a sound of warming up at all. :eek: It's as if my TV died while it was tuning in. A possibility but what a coincidence that would be! I'm not game to try the DVD player, VHS or IQ box in case I make matters worse (can they be worse?).

Anybody very clever with this sort of thing and can hazard a guess as to how to cancel anything I've done already to go back to the way things were.
It's the $20 remote that Aldi was selling last week.

All this just so I can control the volume and on/off, because everything else works through the Optus Remote! :mad:

Olly

Don't know what happened but my TV is back on again! Not touching the new remote again tonight - will just let the TV play through the night and tackle it again tomorrow. :eek:

Olly

LOL, this is why I too have been getting up off the lounge to change channel and adjust the volume for the last 3 yrs (since my toddler broke the remote) - those bloody all-in-one remotes terrify me! Too many buttons, and the apparently real chance that all functionality might be lost forever. Sorry I cant be of any help, and all the best! I'm sure the smart cookies on here will have it going in no time!

Nadia

I laugh because we have an old TV and a DVD/Video. The remote for the TV works, but the one for the DVD doesn't, so we just get up to change everything. Annoying, but it works. At Christmas, preparing for the move to the new PPOR with two living areas we bought a big plasma (all the damn tenants have them, so thought it was about time we updated at last). All well & good, however it does not turn on at all without a remote. There are no buttons on it, so heaven help us if the remote dies.

I have brought a Logitech Harmony 880 remote. the good thing about this one is that it doesn't need the original remote to program it. The unit if programmed via the internet. If you have some unusual device you can may need the original remote.

This unit has smarts as it knows which devices it has turned on/off etc so if you are watching tv and then want to listen to a cd it will turn off the tv, leave on the amp and turn it to cd input and then turn on the cd player

This remote is a bit exxy if all you want to use it for is turning on the tv and changing channels thou.

I was sick of all our remotes and about 3 years ago decided to buy a you-beaut all-in-one universal remote control. I researched, read product reviews, and eventually forked out about $200 on one that I thought was quite good.

Hubby was doing some reading on how to use it to work the Foxtel when he discovered that the Foxtel digital remotes are programmable. :eek: The IQ remotes are even "learning remotes", which is great - you just point the old remote at the new one, and it "learns" the code.

I returned the $200 remote and now our Foxtel IQ remote is our universal one. :) You can find instructions on how to program Foxtel remote controls here.

My TV remote got stolen when I got burgled some years ago, and that was one thing that didn't get replaced on the claim. Thankfully I have the sort with buttons on the front to change channels with. Also thankful I have a 40kg CRT television otherwise that would have got pinched too :rolleyes:

Turns out the remote that came with the (insurance replacement) mixer can be programmed so we just use that one to turn it on and off from the couch. Volume and channels get changed with the remote for the computer.

Then the remotes get safely stowed on top of the TV where noone can reach them, so we have to get up to get the remote to fast forward adverts ...

I've been playing with a similar control myself.

The book that comes with it has a list of manufacturers and models and a four digit code for each, but mine isn't listed.

I then have to go through the procedure you mentioned.

You switch on the TV. Them press the "M" button till the red power button flashes twice. You then press the power button (I assume that the remote then transmits a "power down" code) and start pressing the Ch button. Each time you press, it sends the next possible code to the TV with 150 possibilities. Eventually you get to the right code which switches the TV off, You then press the "M" button to lock the remote to that code. Trouble with mine is that it doesn't work with volume and I'm a little deaf and the Austar box is at a different level, so the vol is never set for long.

Easy fixed Olly. Just buy a new TV :D

Ah! of course. Can't use a $20 remote so buy a $1000 TV. Makes sense - Not! :D

Actually I have been toying with the idea of getting a new TV seeing as I'll have to go HD soon. What do you think of the Aldi one here - http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_6097.htm

It's now $799.00 and my local Aldi still have a few left.

The specs sound OK compared to same in known brands and is between $400 - $800 cheaper plus there's the 2 year in home warranty which is backed by AWA.

Olly

I was sick of all our remotes and about 3 years ago decided to buy a you-beaut all-in-one universal remote control. I researched, read product reviews, and eventually forked out about $200 on one that I thought was quite good.

Hubby was doing some reading on how to use it to work the Foxtel when he discovered that the Foxtel digital remotes are programmable. :eek: The IQ remotes are even "learning remotes", which is great - you just point the old remote at the new one, and it "learns" the code.

I returned the $200 remote and now our Foxtel IQ remote is our universal one. :) You can find instructions on how to program Foxtel remote controls here.

This $20.00 Aldi one is quite slick and programmes 8 things (if you know what you're doing) and it also is capable of 'learning' your original TV remote, but of course I don't have mine and if I did it doesn't work with my TV.

I'm usually pretty cluey with techie things so it annoys me that this scares me and I'm not intuitive with it. The instruction book is well written (and in good English) but lacking in one thing I've noticed so far i.e. it doesn't tell you how to turn your TV off after you've programmed it! By the power button or the TV symbol? (I still haven't turned my TV off yet.) :eek:

I also don't get how my daughter uses her Foxtel remote to control TV volume but mine was by the TV remote. Actually I've just tried to turn up the volume on my new remote and .............nothing! So I'm still left getting up to change volume. Aghhhh...............

There is a support number I can ring so think I'll be doing that today.

So glad from your responses that I'm not the only one grappling with this. :p

Olly

Ah! of course. Can't use a $20 remote so buy a $1000 TV. Makes sense - Not! :D

Actually I have been toying with the idea of getting a new TV seeing as I'll have to go HD soon. What do you think of the Aldi one here

Since that was your original problem, I hope their TV's work better than their remotes! :p

OMG! I've just 'turned the TV off' and the remote doesn't do it. I've come to the conclusion that I failed to tune it in at all!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: so the TV must have turned itself on (after 2 hours or so last night), when it realised the remote process had been aborted (erm done wrong.)

The upside is I can start all over again AFTER I've spoken to support. :p

Olly
(mumbling something about buying a new TV)

Back