All in one scanner, printer, copier, fax

I would like to buy an all in one (AIO) scanner, printer, copier and fax machine.

What are your recommendations for the best machine for a small home office?

Can the AIO be used to send and receive faxes without a phone line?

If I have a laptop computer, what is the best way to connect to AIO? Is it USB cable or separate wi-fi? What is the most price effective means of connection?

Which AIO is easiest to set up and run?

Do you recommend laser or inkjet?

I have a Canon MX860 which works fairly well. We use multiple computers so always want network connect rather than USB.

I can send and receive faxes using VOIP line setup up on my ADSL router - haven't done it enough to confirm long term reliability though.

Only issue I have had with it is paper jams when scanning in duplex mode from the ADF - If purchasing again I'd look for one that does one pass duplex scanning from the ADF to eliminate the paper manipulation.

Regards,

Jason

I have a Canon MX860 which works fairly well. We use multiple computers so always want network connect rather than USB.

I can send and receive faxes using VOIP line setup up on my ADSL router - haven't done it enough to confirm long term reliability though.

Only issue I have had with it is paper jams when scanning in duplex mode from the ADF - If purchasing again I'd look for one that does one pass duplex scanning from the ADF to eliminate the paper manipulation.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason. When you say network connect, does this mean lots of wires and cords?

Does a VOIP line setup/ADSL router involve setting up a phone line?

Does duplex mode mean both sides of the paper?

What does ADF stand for?

Please excuse my ignorance of these things as I am not technologically advanced.

Most of our soho clients run Samsung colour laser mfc's. Vastly superior to inkjets on cost per page, better quality, and at around $300 for a colour laser scan/fax/print/copy with ethernet and wireless (CLX-3185FW), pretty good value.

I use the online fax service at axiatel.com for sending and receiving my faxes. Much better than having a slow old fax machine lying around!

I use seperate rather than joint. My reason being i don't need the printer on the desk, it sits on the bookcase behind the desk where as i need the scanner in easy reach when i am using it. When its off its small enough to chuck in the draw.

Printer i use a brother laser which has lan/wifi and duplex printing. I didn't go colour as i found i so rarely needed it, if i want photos they are so cheap to print online and better quality.

Scanner i have a canon flat bed although it is a little slow, i would find the fastest you can get.

The only thing that would sway me towards a a MFC is duplex scanner feeder.

Thanks Jason. When you say network connect, does this mean lots of wires and cords?

My printer supports both wireless and wired network connections. I use both in my house - wired for things that don't move, and wireless for things that do.

Does a VOIP line setup/ADSL router involve setting up a phone line?

I have a Naked DSL internet connection (so no land line rental) - but there is a physical copper connection to the home which is used.

Does duplex mode mean both sides of the paper?

Yes.

What does ADF stand for?

Automatic document feeder.

Regards,

Jason

Does anyone have a recommendation for a scanner, copier, printer, fax that will do double sided (printing & scanning)? It's easy enough to get all the functions, but everything I look at within a reasonable price range appears to be single sided.

just got a brother A4/A3 scanner, printer, copier etc.

able to plug into a wireless modem and also wireless itself.

dick smith, $195.

I'm not sure on any other brands...but don't buy a HP. Ink is really expensive and all it wants to do every time you turn it on is clean the print heads for at least 10 minutes, continuously wasting the ink.

I started initially with canon, was very happy, then over time ended up with epson, (swore never to get anothery), but followed with....yes, you guessed, another epson:eek::rolleyes:------have just renewed and am back to canon, am very happy with it. So, it has been my experience I prefer canon, but I do know others that get on with their epsons.

Bah humbug.

It is a mg4160-ish I think, not sure what it cost would need to find receipt in filing cabinet. It does everything but make me coffee and does good printer work.

Back