All Room Dimensions

I posted recently about BR size.
The response was that for the third BR : 3 x 3 = 9sqm is a reasonable minimum (excluding robes).

So now I'm keen to put all rooms up for advice.
Laundry is 5 sqm a fair min ?
Ensuite min 5 sqm ?
Master BR WIR min 5 sqm ?
Main bathroom (excluding toilet) is 6 sqm min ok ?
Toilet : 2 x 0.5m = 1 sqm ?
Garage : single 22 sqm, 4 metre width ?
Garage : double 35 sqm, 6 metre width ?

In fact are there any features which people consider a MUST HAVE in a 3BR T/H ?

If you haven't guessed I'm looking at plans now, want to keep the T/H for the very long haul, maybe pass them to my children via a trust we'll set up soon. So I'm not after "that'll do" attitude, for them to keep value and low vacancy in the long term hey should be planned for the long term. Is my thinking right, or am I being overly concerned ?

All opinions listened to about sizes and attitude.
Once agin thanking all in advance.

Hi Patosan,
I believe that large bedrooms are extremely important.
12 feet x 12 feet is a fabulous size:
It will make your property unique - as developers build such small bedrooms these days and....
There will probably be a computer and entertainment system etc in every room in the not too distant future....
Everyone needs their own private and personal space - especially teenagers!
Cheers,
Crystal

Last edited:
I am also looking at plans to develop, building three, two bed units. I had the option of three smaller bedreooms, but after some research as to who will be renting the units, I have decided on the two bed plus study option.
Feedback I recieved was that the three bedroom TH competes with the three bed houses in the area (Bulimba/Hawthorne in BNE) and that the bedrooms would be too small.
I have opted for 2 equal sized bedrooms with 2 ensuite bathrooms. I have also included a seperate study which I will equip with a built in desk and all the wiring for internet etc.
It really depends on your market, as to who are your likely renters, in my area the market is young singles, hence the design.
Hope it all goes well.

mmm... I just measured it - with my arms straight out in front of me (not a comfortable position to hold for long periods of contemplating nature !), the width across my shoulders is over 50cm. Add in space for a little arm movement (reaching for the toilet paper and such !), I'd need absolute minimum 80cm width - 90 to 100cm would be better. There's nothing worse than going to the loo in a "closet" - give it a bit of space.

In addition to the width, please make sure there is enough length to open the door (assuming it swings into the room), step in, turn around AND close the door, without having to stand on the toilet seat to do so. I'm sure there are some builders who have never thought about the simple logisitics of getting into a room like that. Maybe they're just too used to porta-loos with doors that swing outwards !

Oh... also make sure the toilet roll holder goes somewhere you can actually reach it. On the side wall is ideal, since it can be reached by both people sitting and by people standing. Make sure it's not too far back either - so that you don't have to perform torso gymnastics to twist around and try and reach it.

Try this... before positioning the toilet roll holder, actually sit on the loo (or where the loo will be) and actually try and reach the holder ! Also, try not to position is so that it rubs against your leg when sitting - don't cramp my space !

Sorry... been in too many poorly designed hotel rooms and such of late - and I am quite particular about my "private time" ;)

Sim,

there was a law in MEL for a while, but I am not sure if they are still running under it, whereby toilet doors (in a self contained toilet, not where it is part of a larger room eg: bathroom) HAD TO swing outward.

This was to alleviate the problem of mainly old and infirm people going into the little room and having some type of medical problem, usually heart attacks and slumping against the door... and no-one being able to get to them in a timely manner.

This is why there are houses around where the toilet door opens outward.

Unfortunately, the mass produced home builders saw this as an opportunity to decrease the size of the room itself :(

Not sure if this is still the law in new homes but I don't think it is.

asy :D

The outward swing door is covered in yje BCA (Building Code of Australia) abd relates to Disabled facilities and Class 3 or ( being aged care

In a class 1 being house there are no requirements to provide this option

Regards Frado

Describing a room in terms of "square metres" is not an entirely appropriate way to talk about minimum room sizes.

Whilst common-sense prevails obviously, a 12 square metre bedroom is much more usable as 3.5x3.5 (metres) than 2 x 6 metres.

Sheet material for walls will be less if room dimensions are close to square. For example, a 3.5x3.5 room has a perimeter of 14 metres, which means you'd need 28 lineal metres of plaster to cover the walls. The 6x2 room, on the other hand, has a perimeter of 16 meters, so you'd need 32 lineal metres of plaster to cover the walls, even though floor area is the same.

Minimum widths for a hallway and a toilet should be 900mm. Most walkways internally should be 900mm wide. For example, a 5sq metre laundry would want to be around 1700-1800 wide since you'd want 900 mm in front of the washing machine and laundry trough. Also, since many laundries lead outside (in a house) the door is usually 820 wide, plus architraves, so it makes sense for the walkway to match the door width.

I suggest making showers no smaller than 900x900. You can get 800x800 I believe and any person who is not tiny will feel cramped in them. I suggest using a 1625 bath rather than a 1525 bath. If space is available, keeping the toilet separate to the ensuite is much more practical (ie. simultaneous usage).

I agree with the comment on big[ger] bedrooms. A typical bedroom these days is 3x3 (plus extra for robe space) whereas 3.5x3.5 or 3x4 or 4x4 makes a huge difference.

Keep in mind that doorway and window positions will also impact how large a room needs to be to meet its purpose, due to furnishing considerations.

My house, for example, has a 7x4 metre lounge/dining room but it has so many doors, windows, and walkways that it is a very difficult space to use effectively, despite the large floor area.

For things such as bathrooms and kitchens, it pays to know the sizes of typical appliances and related stuff (benchtops etc) and then you can "play around" to see what works. For example, most appliances are roughly 600mm deep (oven, dishwasher). Typical cupboards/benchtops therefore need to be 600-650 deep to accommodate them. Fridges range from 600-850 deep (850 for exotic double-door 700 litre varieties).

Keep in mind places where you can cross-utilise space. For example, walk-in pantries are quite wasteful of kitchen space IF you can alternatively use a series of pull-out style full-height storage draws that encroach into the kitchen floorspace.

I have seen "laundries" comprising tub washing machine, and dryer, tucked behind a wardrobe sliding door taking up about 2-3 square metres of floor space, so long as there is some "standing space" in front of the sliding doors.

Clever design is the single best thing you can do to fit the most into the least available space. A good design can utilise the same X square metres of floor space 5 times better than a bad design.

hi F.P,
I have a blocl 18m x 45m long.
in the process of designing plans now and was interested in your development.
had only considered 2 units but maybe its possible for 3.
just wondering how many sq each unit was in yours and the plot ratio.im in Melb might not be the same ratio here not sure.
also how long was your block?sounds like a great development wish it was closer would have a look,well done.

Darren

Hi Darren,

My block is in Essendon, Melbourne, measures 20 x 50 m.
Could possibly get 4 units approved, guy next door has, though he took a LONG time, council would initially be against it. May will at appeals though.

Decided to go with 3 T/H, average 14 SQ not including double garage. I'm still at the initial rough plan and sketch stage, so there's nothing to see for a long time yet, maybe 2 years. So I have the chance to modify room dimensions where I feel I must.

It's interesting hearing you say that you're thinking of going with 3 units now, actually I've recently pondered the idea of pushing for 4 smaller T/H instead of 3 good size ones.
I wonder what the future capital gain difference would be ?

Back