Alternative option to Floor Boards

You're welcome.

Africandaisy, if you really have your heart set on bamboo, go for the strand woven, but if you're putting it down over a concrete slab, make sure it's really really dry. Put a double moisture barrier down. And make sure when you go to the shop you ask them what the moisture content is. Make sure they give you instructions with it. A floating bamboo floor would be a safer bet.

Sorry I was incorrect in saying moisture test bamboo, you can't test it with a moisture meter, it needs to be oven tested to be 100% sure. That's why the shop needs to supply the moisture content to you.

As a general rule if it's any product that is trying to look like something it isn't, then I'll pass.

Laminate trying to look like marble... pass
Vinyl, tiles, laminate, bamboo, etc... trying to look like hardwood... pass

Also people have to remember that really really hard flooring isn't a good thing, as they can scratch super easy! If bamboo is as hard as people say, scratching may well be a major problem.

As a general rule if it's any product that is trying to look like something it isn't, then I'll pass.

Laminate trying to look like marble... pass
Vinyl, tiles, laminate, bamboo, etc... trying to look like hardwood... pass

Also people have to remember that really really hard flooring isn't a good thing, as they can scratch super easy! If bamboo is as hard as people say, scratching may well be a major problem.

Have to disagree, I have jarrah floor boards throughout my house and its durable, looks great, easy to maintain.

:eek:
I think the cheapest way to get wood feel is to go for one of the prefinished engineered products which has 4mm or more of real wood on top.
As they are prefinished there is no need for sanding/varnishing during the laying process but if you get the ones with 4mm or more real wood on top you can sand them back later on (if you are holding) if needed.
They are glued and nailed directly to the concrete.
I have 19mm solid jarrah prefinished from Gunns in my PPOR - I can't remember what the place is called now. It was the cheapest option I could find at the time.

There is the Boral Silkwood which is similar with only 4mm on top.
http://www.boral.com.au/productcatalogue/product.aspx?product=48

I just got quoted around $120 to buy and install:eek:
Just got a phone call back, apparently they are discontinuing with this product as they can not compete with other suppliers of hard wood.
This is very expensive, looks like bamboo may be the way to go.

Anyone know a good supplier for bamboo flooring in Perth, have been told Perth suppliers are very expensive.

I also found this on gumtree, spoke to him and I think he may be competitive.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/butler/flooring/cthorpe-timber-flooring-and-sanding/1022913529

Last edited:
Another option is a decorative epoxy coating.

http://www.parchem.com.au/public/pdfs/brochures/Mastershield-Polymer-Flooring.pdf

I was involved with a resi project that had this product throughout the whole house and it looked brilliant. They had an open plan master suit, dressing room ensuite design and the the same style flooring went from a smooth finish to a textured finish in the wet area with a double hob less shower.

again not sure if the baby boomers would appreciate the cold feel under foot but possibly something to look at.

I went to a flooring shop today to ask about bamboo floors. The guy told me they have almost double the 'hardness' rating as jarrah, which means they wont get dented as easily as softwood floors.

They looked pretty good to me - very similar to timber veneer floating floors, but without the knots and variations. Also as someone else said, the bamboo goes all the way through the board ( not just 4mm on top of ply). There are some pics here http://www.cliquefloors.com.au/Gallery.html

The ones I saw were like floating floor with a click in laying system. I am not sure if you can get the type that is just glued straight to the slab. I'd like to find that out (if anyone knows) because the layout of my floor plan might prevent me using a floating floor.

Hi African Daisy,

only Bamboo you can get in Glue down would be a Tongue and Groove Bamboo. Glue or nailed.

The click systems are for floating only.

----

:eek:

I just got quoted around $120 to buy and install:eek:
Just got a phone call back, apparently they are discontinuing with this product as they can not compete with other suppliers of hard wood.
This is very expensive, looks like bamboo may be the way to go.

Anyone know a good supplier for bamboo flooring in Perth, have been told Perth suppliers are very expensive.

I also found this on gumtree, spoke to him and I think he may be competitive.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/butler/flooring/cthorpe-timber-flooring-and-sanding/1022913529

try Krakatoa for Bamboo Tongue & Groove MTR.

or even try Cork Tiles - cheap!

Some friends recently bought cheaper bamboo boards and it was getting scratched and while the were installing it.

Others have been really happy with theirs (maybe a more expensive product).

If it is an IP why not just laminate or vinyl boards that look like timber? They have great looking products these days and cost less. Whether they feel warm or cold depends on your colour choice.

try Krakatoa for Bamboo Tongue & Groove MTR.

or even try Cork Tiles - cheap!

Still researching bamboo, will look at Krakatoa

Not keen on Cork, its not the look I am after, I think it has seen better days, looking for something with the wow factor, don't think this cuts it

I was set on Bamboo but since speaking to my friends (architects and interior designers) they are saying I should just go for a laminate in my IP.
So now Im back to the drawing board.

Anyone else used laminate floating boards and happy with the look / durability?

Back