Altona for investment or principal residence?

Why do houses in point cook lack character? The one you've just posted is so dull and boring looking makes me feel depressed!

Why do houses in point cook lack character? The one you've just posted is so dull and boring looking makes me feel depressed!

Though PC also has weatherboard type houses that wouldn't be out of place in a prewar suburb.

One of the first things that struck me when visiting there.

My colleague bought land in point cook 4 years ago and sold last year for a 100k loss. The plan was to build his PPOR but lack of research saw him buy an unsuitable block to build what he wanted.

My colleague bought land in point cook 4 years ago and sold last year for a 100k loss. The plan was to build his PPOR but lack of research saw him buy an unsuitable block to build what he wanted.

Ouch.....that would have hurt

I understand but doesn't this then make the area dull and lifeless? A few have the wow factor but majority are just plain old shoe boxes.

I understand but doesn't this then make the area dull and lifeless? A few have the wow factor but majority are just plain old shoe boxes.

Yes I know what you mean , as i said there is some nice pockets around point cook you just have to find it .. I think its same with other suburbs right there are some good and bad ones ..

So I've gone down during the long weekend, packed about 10 inspections on 1 day :) right across multiple suburbs - but suburbs that are closer to CBD, eg altona, altona north, Williamstown etc. I didn't make it over to PC, will get friends to drive around and report back.

From my driving around yes there's some industrial areas, but overall the west is lovely and very family orientated. Maybe it's just because I was there one day, but I am not seeing or sensing the 'negative' vibes that scare the Melburnians away. Am I missing something?

I am shortlisting down on to a couple to consider it a bit more.

From my driving around yes there's some industrial areas, but overall the west is lovely and very family orientated. Maybe it's just because I was there one day, but I am not seeing or sensing the 'negative' vibes that scare the Melburnians away. Am I missing something?

I am shortlisting down on to a couple to consider it a bit more.

Hi ccw,

Not sure if you've been to other parts of Melbourne. If not, go for a drive through the Eastern suburbs. These areas are well established and more green in their appearance (trees and hills etc).

The East side of Melbourne is very well established, with great infrastructure, schools, hospital etc.

The West is lacking in these areas, unfortunately. (Just for the record, I live in the West).

The areas you've mentioned above, especially Williamstown and to a certain extent, Altona, are located by the bay and are scenic and pleasant places to live.

Access to the city from the West is surprisingly good off peak. Its possible to be in the city centre from Williamstown within 15-20 mins max.

I'm told by a friend who recently moved from Brisbane that Melbournians are particularly snoby about where they went to school, the suburb they live in and coffee!! Perhaps the East West thing is a reflection of this as well. :D

Back