Aluminium or timber windows

Aluminium or timber windows which is better. They are for a house on ground floor. And they will be covered by security grill. It will be hard to see the windows. We like the look of timber better. But does aluminium last longer. Is it also more maintenance free? For two timber windows supply only it is $1600. For 2 aluminium windows it is $1100. Plus $1000 for install and removal of two old rotted windows. The old windows are beautiful small paned glass but it will be too hard to fix them.

It depends on the area. If people pay a premium for properties with period homes sash windows, it'd be a questionable decision to put in aluminium windows.

Sliding aluminium windows are a bit of a nuisance from a cleaning perspective (the sliding tracks will gather dust, insects and such).

On the other hand, timber windows can rot, and/or require sanding and repainting which is a hassle with associated cost.

I'd pay most attention to the impact to the value of the property in a resale situation. A tenant won't pay more or less rent due to the construction material of a window. However the price differential in resale can be significant. As such, the impact to a valuation for equity release purposes can be significant.

....I'd pay most attention to the impact to the value of the property in a resale situation. A tenant won't pay more or less rent due to the construction material of a window. However the price differential in resale can be significant.....

I absolutely agree with this! I've seen some period style homes (Art Deco, California Bungalow etc) devalued by the owners in the 1970's when they "modernised" their homes by replacing wooden (some with stained glass) windows, with mission brown aluminium sliders. Yuk!! :(

Aluminium or timber windows which is better. They are for a house on ground floor. And they will be covered by security grill. It will be hard to see the windows. We like the look of timber better. But does aluminium last longer. Is it also more maintenance free? For two timber windows supply only it is $1600. For 2 aluminium windows it is $1100. Plus $1000 for install and removal of two old rotted windows. The old windows are beautiful small paned glass but it will be too hard to fix them.

What area/suburb??

Unless it's a period property that would look wrong with aluminium windows, I'd go for aluminium. Painted timber windows can be OK, but I assume you're talking about raw timber look, which I agree looks awesome but the maintenance is outrageous. (If it's for your PPOR and you enjoy doing these kinds of jobs, it might be OK.) A relative of mine has western red cedar windows and it costs him about $15K to get the windows sanded and re-varnished every 5 to 10 years. :eek:

I do agree about the undesirability of aluminium sliding windows. In my PPOR I'm going for all fixed panes, louvres, and casement windows.

Casement windows swing, e.g.

Aluminium-Casement-Window.jpg

I'd pay most attention to the impact to the value of the property in a resale situation. A tenant won't pay more or less rent due to the construction material of a window. However the price differential in resale can be significant. As such, the impact to a valuation for equity release purposes can be significant.

Totally agree with JacM, what is the final outcome going to do to the overall end value of the property? Make your decision based on that and that only.

Back