aluminium windows cleaning- How

I'm doing a bit of a reno in a old IP. The aluminium frames have some oxidised.
how do i remove, polish, and improve the look of the windows?
Also any hints on polishing up the windows
Thanks

Hi Jillian,

As far as I'm aware there isn't a way to repair aluminium windows that have oxidised. You could have them painted but this is quite an expensive option (you could spend half your budget just on the windows).

My advice to clients who have windows such as this is to refocus the eye away from the problem. For instance, if the window joinery is a dark colour and the house it a light colour, then consider painting the house in a similar colour to the joinery so it doesn't stand out so much (of course if you weren't planning on painting the outside of the house anyway you could tend to over-capitaise doing this). Another way to re-focus the eye away is by creating some great landscaping around the property (especially the front yard). If you can distract a person enough so that they focus on the landscaping then substandard window joinery my not be so much of a problem.

It's all about really knowing where to spend your money I suppose. If you think changing the window joinery in some way will totally transform the property, then you should do that. Otherwise, perhaps look at other ways to improve it as I have suggested above.

If the joinery has oxodise on the interior as well, then a good way to deal with that is to install blinds in the windows. In particular, wooden blinds or white wooden blinds if that suits the property. These are nice and chunky and modern and will conceal the window joinery easily form the inside. Be sure to buy good quality so that they will last for a number of years (if the property is tenanted especially).

I hope that helps - good luck!

Hi Janet,
Thanks for yur response.I already have aluminium venetains blinds and block out roller blinds on order.
Cheers

Repainting aluminum windows is very easily done and as a business we have done hundreds of them.It gives faded,ugly windows a new life.

Buy a paper masking machine at the paint shop that takes 6 inch paper and tape.(Around $60)
Tape up the windows so that only the aluminum is seen.(Do not paint the rubber)
Make sure your taping skill are for nice clean lines.
Buy the required colored cans at the hardware,put a mask on to protect you from the fumes(Unless you like that sort of thing?) and apply your spray color,Wait 24 hours and apply another coat.
Cost if you do it yourself is around $150 for the whole house.;)

Repainting aluminum windows is very easily done and as a business we have done hundreds of them.It gives faded,ugly windows a new life.

G'day painter,

What sort of prep work do you do prior to masking up your windows?
Do you give the aluminium a quick sand if so what grade / type of paper otherwise what else could you do?

I would assume you sand them to remove the rough and try to get a reasonably smooth/flat finish prior to painting.

Cheers
Graeme

G'day painter,

What sort of prep work do you do prior to masking up your windows?
Do you give the aluminium a quick sand if so what grade / type of paper otherwise what else could you do?

I would assume you sand them to remove the rough and try to get a reasonably smooth/flat finish prior to painting.

Cheers
Graeme

Hi Graeme,
You can prep them after you tape up if you wish,just use a turps rag to remove any foreign bodies before painting.

I personally just use 180 grit white sandpaper to rough it up and remove any white rust if windows are in bad condition..
We have done windows in good condition with no sanding at all so don't stress,it is not timber.

If needed sandpaper can be purchased at the paint shop per lineal metre.If you have 1200 wet and dry handy you can also use that.

I try and always do my gloss work on the window frames the same color as the aluminum windows,this will make the windows blend in even more and makes it even easier when painting because if your cut in lines are not straight,it cant be seen.;)

Modern aluminium bifold door frames are thermally-broken which improves their energy efficiency and reduces the build-up of condensation. Buying these types of bi fold doors is always a good idea. Maintaining these bifold doors or windows is not really difficult, just wiping them regularly is more than enough.

We have also done this successfully.

Buy a paper masking machine at the paint shop that takes 6 inch paper and tape.(Around $60)
Tape up the windows so that only the aluminum is seen.(Do not paint the rubber)
Make sure your taping skill are for nice clean lines.

Hey Painter, I've never heard of such a machine. Are they easy to use and do they work well? I have been hand masking my window frames to paint my reveals. Can it be used for this?

Back