Am I eligible for First Home Ownership Grant (FHOG)

Hello everyone!!
I have a question about FHOG, not sure is here a right place to ask, have searched through the internet still not having a clue.... hope someone can help here.

I note the following requirements in the NSW FHOG application form:

"Applicants and their spouse/partner must:
- not have previously received a First Home Owner Grant in any State or Territory of Australia. If a grant was received but later paid back together with any penalty, you may be entitled to reapply for the grant
- not have previously owned or held a relevant interest in a residential property anywhere in Australia prior to 1 July 2000
- not have occupied for a continuous period of at least six months, a residential property in which they acquired a relevant interest on or after 1 July 2000 anywhere in Australia."

My question is would I become ineligible for FHOG if I have my name on the title of a land (settling in 3 months), which is co-owned with 3 family members. We will build a house there but it will not be used as a home, but sort of like a holiday house, as none of us reside in the area. I work in other city while my families are residing overseas (they are not Oz Citizen or PR).

Appreciate any advices. Many Thanks.

Crap

Presumably there's no house on the land you co-own so you've obviously never lived there. This doesn't disqualify you from the FHOG.

Building a house on the land doesn't disqualify you either. Definitely don't ever live there or call it your PPOR. Don't try anything clever with it and you should be okay.

Your family will probably be financially better off putting a tenant in the property. It usually makes a lot more financial sense to rent a weekender in the area when you want a holiday.

hi Peter,

Many thanks for your reply.
Following this logic, if today I buy an investment property for rental income, as long as I don't I use it as home (i.e. stay longer than 6 months), I still qualify for FHOG?

No you MUST reside continually for at least 6 months. Its not optional. Its one of their closely monitored issues and fraud detection risks are very high if you fail to comply.
http://www.osr.nsw.gov.au/grants/fhog

Call NSW OSR on 1300130624 and ask them directly and they can explain all the contract requirements for the build and residency.

hi Peter,

Many thanks for your reply.
Following this logic, if today I buy an investment property for rental income, as long as I don't I use it as home (i.e. stay longer than 6 months), I still qualify for FHOG?

You're saying don't claim the FHOG, live there for say 5 months, then try claim the FHOG later?

You might still be able to claim the FHOG, I don't really know. I am aware of people who intended to live there and claimed the FHOG but moved out early. The contacted the appropriate authority, refunded the FHOG and were still able to claim it later.

What you're proposing appears to be the opposite. Why would you want to play with fire like this? Either do it properly or don't do it at all.

Actually my concern is whether I can still claim FHOG for my first home after I put my name on the title of the family land. I don't want to make a rush decision to buy a "new home" now just so secure the FHOG before I "lost" it due to the land ownership. Most new properties now (i.e. new apartment) are overpriced and the high strata fee turns me off, I am more interested in buy an established residential property (e.g. House, Villa, Townhouse etc) for investment rather than a "brand new home". But I also want to make sure that I am still qualified for FHOG....

You're saying don't claim the FHOG, live there for say 5 months, then try claim the FHOG later?

You might still be able to claim the FHOG, I don't really know. I am aware of people who intended to live there and claimed the FHOG but moved out early. The contacted the appropriate authority, refunded the FHOG and were still able to claim it later.

What you're proposing appears to be the opposite. Why would you want to play with fire like this? Either do it properly or don't do it at all.

Essentially you can own a property and claim the FHOG on a later property, just never live in the first one. That's really all there is to it.

Peter, many thanks for your very clear and precise answer. Now I can happily add my name to the land title without worrying losing FHOG. :)

Crap

Essentially you can own a property and claim the FHOG on a later property, just never live in the first one. That's really all there is to it.

Back