Am I getting old?

It was always "maths" when I was at school so the introduction of "math" may just be yet another infiltration of sub-standard US culture into our wonderful Aussie language :( No doubt schools will have "home room" soon if they already don't.

It was always "maths" when I was at school so the introduction of "math" may just be yet another infiltration of sub-standard US culture into our wonderful Aussie language :( No doubt schools will have "home room" soon if they already don't.

They do already have Home Room, and my sons' school has used the Home Room idea for at least nine years since we have been associated with it.

We didn't have such a thing as a Home Room. It is a classroom that a selection of students from grade eight to grade twelve go to each morning for roll call, messages etc. They spend about ten minutes there before heading off to their various classes.

It is something I didn't have at high school, and personally, I like it because it creates a feeling that the students are part of a bigger group, and not kept in their particular grades. It allows students to get to know others from all grades.

I would have liked it at high school.

At least we don't have 'freshmen', 'sophomores' and 'juniors' at 'college*'.

(*) Although that word has become devalued, to the extent that uppity high schools call themselves secondary colleges while some prestigious high schools (eg Balwyn or Melbourne High) stick to high.

They do already have Home Room, and my sons' school has used the Home Room idea for at least nine years since we have been associated with it.

We have the same at my sons school except it's called Home Group and yes it's a great concept.

I think the word I would hate to hear most would be 'prom'. I'd say it was inevitable that the 'formal' would evolve here, but if my children ever came home and used that word... :(

We had the "home room" concept introduced into my school when I was in grade 12 but it was called something else.

And yes, embarassing to say we had both a junior and senior prom complete with hideous 80's taffeta prom dresses and big hair :eek:

Back