Am I getting old?

Ok, I know we are all aging, but I have been asked several times lately about Grandchildren. You know, in general conversation when out shopping, by people that I don't know. Questions like "What are you getting your Grandkids for Christmas?", "Do you have any Grandkids?", that kind of stuff. I must have been asked one of those questions around 5 times this week already.:(

So.............am I getting old? Or is it the demographic where I live? I didn't really consider that I was old enough for Grandkids, but I suppose there are a lot of 16-17-18 year olds having kids out there.

Oh dear, I would hate that too, skater!

Don't take it to heart. They may not have even really looked at you and may be so caught up in the Christmas Rush that they are just thinking aloud.

I asked some strange guy to try a hat on for me today and then stared at him for long moments while I made my decision :eek:- so all sorts of strange things can happen!

Regards JO

Old? Hardly :)

Slight aside. My sister was twenty, for all of about five or six days, when her first child was born a few years ago. She's now got two of them.

As a result...

- Mum became a grandmother at 41,
- Grandma became a great-grandmother at 59, and,
- Gran became a great-great-grandmother at about 82, I think.

I know that in demographic terms, many people are waiting longer to have kids. But, I don't think it's entirely uncommon to become a grandparent earlier, either.

Count your grey hairs and reconsider that short perm and blue rinse you just had done ;)

Its just what people do to you at a certain age.

I've just gone through the whole "are you getting married?" followed by "when are you having kids?" and now we have this 3 foot tall mop of blonde curls following us everywhere is it "when are you having another one?" which of course recently has been superceded by "are you pregnant?" since I've put on so much weight. If its a girl, I'm sure I'll get "don't you want a boy?" or "are you trying for a boy?" .. no dammit, I'll be over 35 by then and things start to get a bit flakey after that age and where the hell do you stick 4 kids anyway? Then they'll start nagging us to get married again.

The elder offspring is still under 5 foot tall (but not by much) so I'm safe from the grandkids talk for at least another 10 years if you are anything to go by :D

You're getting old when people you meet remind you of other people you've met before and the police look like teenagers.

It's the demographics.... it's the demographics..... keep repeating that skater :mad:.

I think the saying that would really make the age thing hit home most would have to be 'are they your real teeth ?' ;) :D.

So am I. I'm 4'10".:eek: Do you think I'll grow soon.:D
Hehe yeah, my mother is 5'0" so The Child is dangerously close to Little Grandma's height (she's not called LITTLE Grandma for nothing).

Everyone on the Other side of the family - the rare few I've met - are up around the 6 foot mark or over and beanpole thin so I'm sure she's going to dwarf all of us soon. Hence why I occasionally mention I'm going to send her off to be a supermodel.

Now keep tabs on Lil Skater if you don't want to be a REAL granny :p

I have a friend who is 34yrs old and a grandparent (and is currently pg herself). She fell pg as a teenager, and her daughter (much to her dispair) also became a teenage mum.

I think people just ask questions because they are curious, and they don't stop to think about whether it might offend someone or not.

I have a friend who is 34yrs old and a grandparent (and is currently pg herself). She fell pg as a teenager, and her daughter (much to her dispair) also became a teenage mum.

I think people just ask questions because they are curious, and they don't stop to think about whether it might offend someone or not.

I agree.

Although in the area that we live, unfortunately it's a reasonable question.

I currently have four friends that are pregnant, that i know of! And another who recently lost a pregnancy!!

One's barely 19, another barely 18, another is 18, another 17 and the one that recently lost one, just 15!!!!!!!!!!

unfortunately i'm the other way - i get people squinting at me saying "you look to too young to..."

a) be married
b) have 3 kids
c) own your own business
d) know what you're talking about
e) drink here
f) hang out with these people
g) drive (!)

sad when you're pushing 30 and still get a suss look and security still scratches your birthdate with their fingernails to make sure you are actually 18.

unfortunately i'm the other way - i get people squinting at me saying "you look to too young to..."

a) be married
b) have 3 kids
c) own your own business
d) know what you're talking about
e) drink here
f) hang out with these people
g) drive (!)

sad when you're pushing 30 and still get a suss look and security still scratches your birthdate with their fingernails to make sure you are actually 18.

Lol!
I look quite young for my age too, beauty of makeup really.

But take it as a compliment, they're saying you look good!

I had everyone thinking I was 25 for bloody ages ... until The Child started to get really tall. You can pull it off with little ones but not bigger ones.

Other half was getting asked for ID until he grew his hair long, then it just ... stopped. He's the one who's going to be about 30 with 3 kids, come to think of it ...

In my opinion, nothing makes you suddenly feel so old as having a grandkid calling you "Grandpa".

Grandpa? He's that bald, stooped old man walking around with a cane, not the dashing young chap I see in the mirror. Makes me cringe every time I hear it!

GP

Back