Amalgamating subdivided land

Hi,

In Brisbane is it possible to amalgamate subdivided land? looking for a large block, and thinking about buying 2 lots of subdivided 483m2 land and amalgamating them.

If it is possible, what is the process?

Not sure in Queensland, but in other states I've dealt with you can do a boundary realignment which is basically the same process as subdividing. Ie, get a surveyor to do up the plans and submit to council for approval yadda yadda.

Alternatively find one already that size? Even if it already has a house you could demolish and build what you want?

?es but due to cost most people would merely transfer both titles. There can be benefits of two smaller titles v's one title.

I came across this with a client with an expensive harbourside property. His pool was on a separate title. He owned that. His wife owned the balance (house withstreet access) The pool title has zero access from street as the access is from the home title. Nobody could realistically buy the pool land. Asset protection was the legal view he obtained.

His wife couldn't sell the other title as some sort of covenant (??) was attached to the house title. However for land tax its adjoining land and exempt.

Council may not allow it too....In many new land devs council has set min land size based on density under LEP. The owner may be incapable of working contrary to the LEP ie building one dwelling on two sites. Check council first ??

?es but due to cost most people would merely transfer both titles. There can be benefits of two smaller titles v's one title.

I came across this with a client with an expensive harbourside property. His pool was on a separate title. He owned that. His wife owned the balance (house withstreet access) The pool title has zero access from street as the access is from the home title. Nobody could realistically buy the pool land. Asset protection was the legal view he obtained.

His wife couldn't sell the other title as some sort of covenant (??) was attached to the house title. However for land tax its adjoining land and exempt.

Council may not allow it too....In many new land devs council has set min land size based on density under LEP. The owner may be incapable of working contrary to the LEP ie building one dwelling on two sites. Check council first ??

You sir are correct.

It ***** me when agents tell people that because a plot of land has two titles with the split straight down the middle that you can build a duplex even though it doesn't conform to LEP and DCP requirements for land size.

I live in Hills Shire Council, Sydney and would love to build on two lots with ample land - Pool etc. Council wont allow it. Even if I could afford it. If they had their way there would be 23 people per 1,000m2.

Developers who want to sell 900m2 lots will NOT get approval. If I want to buy two 450m2 lots and build I wont get approval either.

When I put my pool in they spat it about my pool fence. Said the planned area inside the fence was too large. It wasn't illegal...They just wont approve it. But if I build the fence small then move it after they approve the site I don't break law. Stupid but reality.

We should follow Brisbane and have less of these people.

Merging lots Brisbane

Hi,
In Brisbane you can merge the lots. Amalgamation is also 'exempt development' under state planning legislation and therefore the applicable scheme in this case Brisbane City plan 2014.

This means you don't need any development approval or council approvals and just need to make an application at the qld titles office. Below is the link that explains.

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/planning-building/do-i-need-approval/subdividing-land

Below also is link to titles info. You need to complete a Form 15 - request for amalgamation- at the titles office. Ask your solicitor to complete. The form must be completed correctly.

https://www.business.qld.gov.au/ind...ruction/titles-property/titles-registry-forms

You may also require a survey plan of the amalgamated site for building purposes which is referenced in the Form 15 application to the titles office. Talk to a surveyor and solicitor.

Last edited:
Back