Amend a planning permit?

Does anyone have experience with amending a planning permit? Specifically in knox council?

I have just purchased a block in knox with plans and planning permit but want to make a minor change. There is a schedule of finishes which I don't like (red bricks specifically) and wanted to change and I also want to change the ceiling heights from 2400 to 2550 or 2700. Anyway, I did speak to the council and they will allow the finishes changes no problems but the ceiling heights require and amendment. The problem being, they could not tell me how long it would take to get an amendment?
Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance
Tim

Changing the building height is a material change. Knox or any other council will typically hold the view that the property will need to be re-advertised for public comment as the bulk and scale of the property has changed.

The changes will typically include, a complete new set of plans, shadow diagrams etc. Depending on how picky the council they may request everything to be amended to reflect the new plans i.e. stormwater plans etc.

In short you are making a big change that will run the entire cycle of the council approval process.

Does anyone have experience with amending a planning permit? Specifically in knox council?

I have just purchased a block in knox with plans and planning permit but want to make a minor change. There is a schedule of finishes which I don't like (red bricks specifically) and wanted to change and I also want to change the ceiling heights from 2400 to 2550 or 2700. Anyway, I did speak to the council and they will allow the finishes changes no problems but the ceiling heights require and amendment. The problem being, they could not tell me how long it would take to get an amendment?

Thanks in advance
Tim

Thanks in advance
Tim

Agree with tcocaro, changing height is not minor amendment, it requires all floor plans, elevations, section, shadow & overlooking diagram updated. It may not comply with building massing standard on planning scheme.

The minimum required by the Council will be amended elevation and sections (if previously provided). If you go back to the original draftsperson you should be able to replace like for like with the stamped plans. Shadow diagrams and overlooking etc would only be required in special circumstances.

I have had amendments take anywhere from a month to 5 months depending on workload and complexity of the amendments, so the question of how long is hard to answer!

Thanks for the help lads

I don't think it's that huge. I can simple lower the roof pitch a degree or two to compensate for higher ceiling so overall height won't change much if that's what they are worries about.

Also spoke to the drafty today, he said easy done as we are well under height limits but not sure how long they will take to approve. So I think I will pursue it to make the change. Makes a pretty big difference at the end of the day

Tim

If it's not a project home, then raise the ceiling internally only - shift the bottom chord of the truss to give the additional height internally without changing the external appearance. Rafters still sit on the top plate but the ceiling joist will sit further back into the room, dress the perimeter of the room with a 300mm wide bulkhead (with wall washing lights). That way the wall stays at 2.4 but you get the additional height plus feature bulkhead (even put the ducted ac outlets into the bulkhead).

Yeah it's just a development project. Aim is to increase the ceiling height to make the houses look bigger and obviously get a better sale price. 2400 ceiling are just too low these days. Don't really want scissor trusses as it either means a raked ceiling or bulkheads, both if which add costs and would basically cancel out the extra profits created.

Tim, probably looking at a raised tie truss
image:59-207379-Designing_roof_trusses_images

However if you have a hipped roof, you would need a combination of scissor trusses as well or go traditionally framed.

It's only 2 small hipped roofs. So scissors or raised tie would be a nightmare to get to work properly and also to install especially when it comes to the girders everywhere...

So really just want to increase the wall height and keep it as simple as possible.

Basically I know I can change the ceiling height no problems, just wanted to know how long the amendment process would take.

Just call the duty town planner or the town planner who worked on the original approval and pose the question. I have read your earlier comments regarding re-pitching and I still hold the view that most councils will see a change in the external elevations as a material change. If they dont then they should be able to do an over the counter amendment being, generally in accordance.

Others suggesting raised ties\scissor trusses or cut on site collar ties and strengthened rafters simply mean a raked ceiling. This is fine but if your starting point is a flat ceiling design then usually this after thought means you have a half baked outcome with a fairly low collar tie and as you pointed out this is more costly and more headache with lighting etc and running services etc.

Just call council and ask the question. Personally if this was a development\investment in a typical suburb just go with the 2.45m stop mucking about, get it done and move on. 2.45m is standard, people who cant stand it typically live in older homes at 3m ceilings and they are in the minority. Who is your target market and run with that.

It's only 2 small hipped roofs. So scissors or raised tie would be a nightmare to get to work properly and also to install especially when it comes to the girders everywhere...

So really just want to increase the wall height and keep it as simple as possible.

Basically I know I can change the ceiling height no problems, just wanted to know how long the amendment process would take.

Back