Amex Credit card

Evening all,

Received the regular spam in the mail from CBA in regards to credit card stuff, notice they have a thing going to link an Amex card to gold credit card, no extra fee's or anything and when u spend on amex you get 2 points for rewards.

So im like cool i'll sign up. Get my new Amex card then think i'll go change my stuff that is currently direct debit to the amex card contact health fund, nope only master/visa, contact TPG for mobile/internet 2.75% surcharge for amex, walk down to subway nope only master/visa.

Found someone that accepted it tho the Vet lol, $354 bucks for a small operation, probably didn't care about the extra 2 bucks or whatever it costs the operator to process an amex payment.

Lady on the phone when i was asking question prior to getting it is like "ohhh yeah everybody loves it, get all these bonus points" im now thinking how's everyone get these points when no one accepts it

Regards,

RH

yeah, I had the same thing with ANZ...sign up with the Amex...get twice the points...still one statement...nothing changes...:rolleyes:

I havent done it yet as there are only 7 shops in Australia that accept Amex...

Boods

I have Amex linked to my Westpac card and I use it for anything that accepts it, unless there is an extra charge involved (in which case I decide case by case).

I do my Coles groceries using Amex. That adds up very quickly with a family of four adults and one teen, believe me :eek:.

Bunnings accepts Amex and that can add up quickly too when you have a number of properties that need things fixed/replaced.

I have now trained hubby to always ask if they accept Amex before handing over the Mastercard :D.

We got the same setup about two months ago and so far we have spent about 70% on Amex with no fees. That has been helped by some big item furniture purchases that accept it.

regards,

Jason

We have had our Wespeac Visa/Amex for a few years now...I use the Amex most days, particularly on groceries, fuel, Bunnings, Kmart, Myer etc...lots of places, particularly big chains take it. Smaller outlets I just use the Visa. A lot of service companies dont accept it (Telstra does). We spend probably 3.5K a month on the credit card (paid at the end of the month, of course :) ) and accrue about 3000 QFF points/mth. We probably accrue enough for a domestic flight every 3mths...not a bad deal IMHO...

Nards

I had my AMEX for a year now just sitting in my purse never used until last weekend, I used it for the first time when the friend I was with told me off for not using it. It's linked to my Visa (not sure how it works) from Westpac and was automatically issued to me. I never really thought to use it, thought it was limited and extra charges.

I've so far bought groceries, fuel and a restaurant meal with it and they're all at double points the Visa card is and no extra fees. Should have used it all last year. :eek:

So doesn't matter if it's not as widely accepted, I have both in my purse and do what Wylie does, if they don't accept AMEX just use the Visa.

Mrs Fish had one years ago (corporate card) and the supermarkets and most places she went accepted it. You MUST be organised enough to pay on time though, especially a "corporate card".

The annual fees for the cardholder were too high though as I remember.

We have ours as part of our "professional" package so no annual fees. It would be worth asking if they will waive the fees if you don't have a package although I think the fee might only be $95 per annum (?).

In the good old days guys would buy their new cars on Amex, get their points and pay the card off at the end of the credit period.

We got the same setup about two months ago and so far we have spent about 70% on Amex with no fees. That has been helped by some big item furniture purchases that accept it.

regards,

Jason

We buy most furniture at garage sales, i've asked a few times but no one accepts amex their.

Petrol store someone mentioned will be the next test lol.

Who here just claims the points as cash? I don't find their is much difference in value between the cash redemption and gift cards

Absolutely Marty :).

I think the last time I cashed in for vouchers was 18 months ago for Christmas and I have enough points for just shy of $1800 in vouchers in that time. I think it is very worthwhile, but I do pay it off each month.

I think the last time I cashed in for vouchers was 18 months ago for Christmas and I have enough points for just shy of $1800 in vouchers in that time. I think it is very worthwhile, but I do pay it off each month.
Am currently trying to get enough points for 2 return flights to somewhere like NY or London. Not far to go.

Also automatically pay full amount each month.

Regards
Marty

How many points would you need for two return flights to New York? I have never looked at the flight information and could have a look, but thought you might know and save me the frustration.

How many points would you need for two return flights to New York? I have never looked at the flight information and could have a look, but thought you might know and save me the frustration.
One return flight = 128,000 points (2 obviously being 256,000 pts), plus there are still charges of just over $300 per return flight.

Actually. its probably about the same points required (give or take) as you spent on your xmas vouchers (a great idea by the way).

Regards
Marty

Amex has a higher charges associated with it compared to VISA/Matsercard (which are usually charged to the merchant), hence not many companies are keen to accept it.

To be pedantic, the title of this thread should be "Amex Charge Card" because it's not actually a credit card. Unlike a credit card the full amount must be paid each month.

I have used it as a backup card. On a trip many years ago, a travel agent had not paid a hotel which I had prepaid. I left instructions with the travel agent to pay my card ASAP.

Two months later, on the same trip, I went to use my card again. It had been withdrawn because the travel agent was still holding my money.

On the other side of the coin- one of my shops does accept Amex. I only get 1-2 transactions a month, so hardly worth the charges (about three times what Visa charges).

I had a dreadful experience with Amex! I cancelled the card at a branch and for good measure informed them via their call centre as well. They continued to charge annual fees plus interest on a non-existent card, ignored further calls and hounded me with statements for four more years until I moved house.

Australia is already set up nicely with VISA working everywhere, Amex doesn't need or deserve to be here.

Back