An expensive lesson in doors !!!

Hi all,

I just pulled out the 2 internal doors from the unit I'm doing a Reno on

.... Yeh I thought just replace them I've seen good ones at Bunnings for $40...

Yep except the sizes are weird and as such it's a special order !!!!

Cost $165 per door !!!

Lesson ... Never cut your old doors in half and throw into the skip bin UNTIL

You check the sizes are STANDARD .... Oh well ... Live and learn I guess !

Oh yes plus fittings and cost to fit !

A good sand and new door furniture would have been easier and alot cheaper!

You do realise all the doors have a section that can be trimmed to make them fit?
They are never exact normally have to plane off 5-20mm.

770 mm is a standard door available. This can be cut down to 760mm without a problem

As far as cutting down the length. A carpenter can cut down the door to the right length (from 2040) and then reinsert the piece of wood that seals the top and bottom of a hollow core door. If done correctly you would never know that this was done.

Cheers

770 mm is a standard door available. This can be cut down to 760mm without a problem
Yup, there's 'standard' modern door size but also a narrow size, harder to get hold of but you sure don't need to order custom if your door is still within tolerance.

And then there's stupidly non-standard. We had two doorways in a previous house that were WAY under standard, both 60-something-cm wide and one was 170-something-cm high (basically about the same height as a modern tradie apprentice's nose).

Made doors for those two out of matchboard, in the 'traditional' style, ie a few vertical boards and then three horizontal ones, with the latch on the middle. This is actually really, really cheap (matchboard is about $2 a linear metre) and looks perfectly in place in a 1870s era building :)

Made doors for those two out of matchboard, in the 'traditional' style, ie a few vertical boards and then three horizontal ones, with the latch on the middle. This is actually really, really cheap (matchboard is about $2 a linear metre) and looks perfectly in place in a 1870s era building :)

Good to see some lateral thinking:)

We have also used solid doors and cut them down to size. These were the solid doors with the core made up of pieces of pine laminated horizontally. Don't know if they are still around but custom door for about $70:D

Haven't done it for a while as we now use the hollow panel doors as tenants seem not to damage these. Must hurt their fists if they hit the uneven surface.:eek:

Cheers

We have a few funny sizes too but going to cut them down... Auctions I was at on Tuesday saw a guy pick up 10 doors for $20!! Yep that's right, $2 per door!!

We replaced a LOT of doors in that house and all but those two were just done with trimmed old solid doors, and you're right they are very cheap from salvage yards. These two were just so short and narrow that using an older style panel door we would have cut too close to the 4 panels. They were doors that were clearly added late to the house, cut through from one side of an old commercial building to another and obviously done by someone very short :)

Back