An Interesting Map Site

Don't know if anyone is aware of this site - http://lite.maps.nsw.gov.au/

Doesn't do more or isn't better than google maps etc but it does have 1 neat trick if you like a bit of history.

When you type in an address and click Get Results the address appears under NUMBER/ROAD/SUBURB/POSTCODE. Click on this actual address (which isn't explained properly on the site.) to bring the map up.

On the navigational tools click on Change Background and another menu comes up. Have a look at the 1943 view of an area. Only a mere 69 years ago! I've lived at my house for 30 of those years and the area was already well established when I moved in.

In 1943 my area was bush and huge lots with single houses on them (the 1/4 acre block maybe?). The streets were already in place though so plans were already afoot for future development. The expansion of my area in the preceding 40 years must have been very rapid!!!

I've tried a couple of other addresses and nothing comes up in this view but country/bush, so obviously 69 years ago that area wasn't even considered for development yet are thriving towns/cities now.

Back