An Interview with Propertunity

Hi Allan,

Is there enough 'fat' in buying and renovating if you are contracting all the work? Do you do some of the renovation work yourself or do you have tradies come in and do it all?

Hi Allan,
Is there enough 'fat' in buying and renovating if you are contracting all the work?
Hi Paul,
Short answer - yes. (I'm reminded of the outcome for Phil & Amity on The Block). No reno skills but got the highest price at auction.

Do you do some of the renovation work yourself or do you have tradies come in and do it all?
I used to do all my own paiting for example. But on about my 5th purchase, I got a painter in. What would have taken me 5 - 6 week-ends, he knocked over in 1 week. So I had a tenant paying rent 4 weeks early. It wasn't worth my while doing any of the work anymore.

The real money is in the deal you cut in buying right in the first place and after that, the reno you do and where you add value, not so much in the labour saving.

Great interview

Hi Alan

Great to hear you have turned a passion into a profession:p

Your interview shows a few ways to skin this cat:p

As far as becoming a Buyers Agent, do you have any words of wisdom for some considering this as a career option?

Looks like a lot of hard work and long hours from the outside but also very rewarding.

Propertunity

thank you for your story. it is empowering and energising to hear your frank discussion of property in context with life. the journey you have travelled has paid you in wisdom. there are no airs or pretence about your words. also it is not a classic rags to riches tail, just a journey and a life that involves several professions and several asset classes and a person prepared to think and work hard. what value you have provided to all.

again, thank you.

Props to you, er... Props.
I'd also be interested in a basic overview of your share strategies.

Thanks for the question locko24, but as this is a property forum, I think it probably inappropriate to take this thread in that direction.

Suffice to say, that you will find some strategies if you do a google search:
site:somersoft.com "propertunity" "covered calls"

Looks like a lot of hard work and long hours from the outside but also very rewarding.
Yes and yes.

As far as becoming a Buyers Agent, do you have any words of wisdom for some considering this as a career option?
Yes - don't. This town isn't big enough for anymore BAs. :p:p

I have had a few phone calls over the years - one was from our own Andrew Allen the BA in Brisbane. I'm happy to have the discussion at the appropriate time, but on a one-on-one basis.......and when I've got some spare time. ;)

Yes and yes.

Yes - don't. This town isn't big enough for anymore BAs. :p:p

I have had a few phone calls over the years - one was from our own Andrew Allen the BA in Brisbane. I'm happy to have the discussion at the appropriate time, but on a one-on-one basis.......and when I've got some spare time. ;)

lol Thanks. I might just take you up on that sometime. Just a thought at this stage though :)

thanks very much for sharing. I always find it amazing the quality and detail of the information people are willing to share to help others forge their way forward.

regards,

C

Hi Paul,
Short answer - yes. (I'm reminded of the outcome for Phil & Amity on The Block). No reno skills but got the highest price at auction.

I used to do all my own paiting for example. But on about my 5th purchase, I got a painter in. What would have taken me 5 - 6 week-ends, he knocked over in 1 week. So I had a tenant paying rent 4 weeks early. It wasn't worth my while doing any of the work anymore.

The real money is in the deal you cut in buying right in the first place and after that, the reno you do and where you add value, not so much in the labour saving.

Thanks for the wisdom and sharing with us, this is gold! :)

I just have to "interrupt" here and give praise to Propertunity. He is always very generous with his time and expertise here on the forum and in general. I am using his services for the second time at the moment; yes, I'm a happy repeat client. His experience and knowledge are proven in the results he gets. Well and truly worth the cost in my opinion.

Thank you for sharing.
I agree with your natural progression if you are passionate enough.
In present times I believe a renovation to add equity is a vital strategy.
Thank you and best of luck in your endeavors....:)

Great interview Prop! Also, Thanks for helping us purchase our first property in Nov last year, just before what you call 'the boom times' :)

Back