an open letter to Simone Semmens

Hi Simone,

Just want to say I admire the leap you've made from news reader to property mogul and ask you a few questions if I may. Please reply by PM if you don't feel comfortable answering on a public forum or consider them too personal.

1) did your high income play a significant role in your ability to accumulate such impressive land holdings ? I imagine it was easy to apply for large loans when you had big salary contracts in place.
2) are there any properties you regret selling?
3) do you buy in your own name or under a different structure?
4) do you feel bad about the negative publicity surrounding the recent sale of Rosecraddock for $11m and think it would have been best to pay your electrician the $15,000 for the work he did before you sold the property?

Best regards,
TT

4) do you feel bad about the negative publicity surrounding the recent sale of Rosecraddock for $11m and think it would have been best to pay your electrician the $15,000 for the work he did before you sold the property?

I am sure there was a good reason for it not being paid... being a typical tradie I would guess it was $15k that they dreamt up for some unauthorised work or made up charge that they felt they could slug the rich owner for.

I am sure there was a good reason for it not being paid... being a typical tradie I would guess it was $15k that they dreamt up for some unauthorised work or made up charge that they felt they could slug the rich owner for.

wonder why the electrician didn't go to VCAT if he had a compelling case rather than get a caveat on the property? it may not mean he would be paid.

I would say it would be arguable that the electrician would be entitled to lodge a caveat over the property. An unpaid debt is not the same as having an interest in the property. Unless the contract with the electrician said "if you don't pay me i can file a caveat" then he may quickly end up with the end of a huge court order against him.

Lets say the purchaser pulls out due to the caveat. It then resells for $1M less. The electrian may then be up for the costs of having the caveat removed, and the lost profits.

If he's owed the money i hope he gets it, but if he is simply trying to get some extra money by creating problems then any orders against him are fair.

i agree too - but he would have probably engaged a lawyer to lodge that caveat who would have advised him of his options. Either way it is too much hassle for higher risk of getting sued for such a large sale. He should have gone to VCAT first - and then follow through etc as that would be the proper way to legitimize an unpaid debt claim.

i agree too - but he would have probably engaged a lawyer to lodge that caveat who would have advised him of his options.

most lawyers will just say yeh mate, give it a go. once it starts it's pretty hard to stop, next thing you know everybody has a $150k legal bill that they expected the other party/s to pay, the stakes are too high to walk away from by then and it comes down to some loopy judge as to who is in the right and the winner usually breaks even or better (if the loser has the ability to meet awarded costs) and the loser is in a world of pain

People lodge caveats all the time without a proper interest because they want to **** you up and be a pain in the ***.

same as general procedure claims... it's so so easy to mess up someones credit record. IMO only judgements should go on your credit file

Back