Ancient art of war and property

Dear guys,

I have always like the ancient art of war. Interesting to see how ancient asian philosophy can be applied to the property arena.

Eg.

Strategy number 5 I see directly relates to finding motivated sellers.

And strategy number 29 could relate to talking with realestate agents on property negotiating.

Another interesting site about this is www.sonshi.com

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Sunstone.

The 36 Strategies

1) Deceive the sky and cross the ocean
2) Surrounding Wei to rescue Zao

“When attacks are aimed directly towards and enemy’s weak points the advance becomes irresistible.”
-Sun Tsu Bing-Fa

“Is there a strategy that can use one to attack ten?” asked the king.
Sun Bin replied, “Yes. Attack the enemy’s weak point; attack the enemy where he least expects it.”
-Sun Bin Bing-Fa

3) Borrow Another’s Hand to Kill

“When destiny is subtle and formless, intangible and mysterious, the strong-minded one is able to hold the fortunes of the enmy in his hands by creating a third element to insure victory.”
-Sun Tzu Bing-Fa

4) Make your enemy work while you wait at leisure

“There are only 24 hours in the day. If the day is long, the night must be short.”
-Chinese Aphorism

“Those who arrive on the battlefield early will have time to be rested as they wait for the enemy. Those who arrive late rush into battle when they are already exhausted. The one who is skilled in warfare forces the enemy to encounter hardship in coming to him while he waits in ease.”
-Sun Tzu Bing-Fa

5) Use the opportunity offered by a fire to rob others

“When the enemy is thrown into disorder, crush him.”
-Sun Tzu Bing-Fa

6) Display your forces in the east and attack in the west

7) Create something from nothing

“The good warrior imposes his will on the enemy, but he does not allow the enemy to impose his will on him.”
-Sun Tzu Bing-Fa

8) Secretly utilise the chen chang passage

“One should vary his plans according to the situation of the enemy in order to obtain victory. In the beginning, when enticing the enemy to battle, one may appear to be as shy as a young maiden. Then, when the enemy shows an opening, one must move as fast as a fleeing hare and catch the enemy by surprise……………

…….one should attack the enemy where he is least prepared and when he is least expecting it; and one must feign weakness to make the enemy grow arrogant.”

-Sun Tzu Bing-Fa

9) Watch the fire burning across the river

“When one is skilful in warfare, he must first place himself in an invincible position and then seize any favourable opportunity to defeat the enemy. To secure oneself against defeat depends on one’s own efforts, while the opportunity for victory must be afforded by the enemy.”
-Sun Tzu Bing-Fa

10) Knife hidden under smiling face

“When the enemy speaks peace, he is plotting deception.”
-Sun Tzu Bing-Fa

11) The plum tree sacrifices for the peach tree

12) Walk the sheep home, just because it is there

“The opportunity for victory is provided to you by the enemy”
-Sun Tzu Bing-Fa

13) Disturb the snake by hitting the grass

“The best strategy to overcome an enemy is to stand as still as a forest on a windless day, to be as immobile as a mountain, to be as impenetrable as darkness.”
-Sun Tzu Bing-Fa

14) Borrow another’s body to return the soul

15) Entice the tiger to leave the mountain

16) In order to capture, one must let loose

“When you surround an enemy, you must leave an outlet for him to go free. Do not press a desperate enemy too hard.”
-Sun Tzu Bing-Fa

17) Trade a brick for a piece of jade

18) Defeat the enemy by capturing their chief

“Know yourself, know your opponents; one hundred battles, one hundred victories.”
-Sun Tzu Bing-Fa

19) Remove the firewood under the cooking pot

20) The guest becomes the host

21) The golden cricket sheds it shell

22) Accuse others of murder by moving the corpse

23) Kill the rooster to frighten the monkey

24) Steal the dragon and replace with the phoenix

25) Attack when near, befriend when distant

26) The hidden message

27) Pretend to be a pig in order to eat the tiger

“When the enemy is strong, on must be careful in making preparations. One should avoid strength and attack weakness. When one is capable, he must feign being incapable.”
-Sun Tzu Bing-Fa

28) Cross the river and destroy the bridge

29) Be wise but play the fool

“The essence of war is deception. The capable must display incompetence. When ready to attack, demonstrate subservience. When close, pretend to be far, but when very far, give the illusion of being near.”
-Sun Tzu Bing-Fa

30) Provoke Emotions

31) The beauty trap

32) Empty city

33) Espionage and counterespionage

34) Mutilate one’s body

35) Chain links

36) Escape is the best policy

“Retreat is another form of advance. A good man does not fight a losing battle.”
-Chinese Maxim

While some of the concepts are really quite interesting, I personally have a real problem with the concept of this game we play being considered "war" and so approaching it from that point of view.

What ever happened to "win-win" in negotiation ? There is no win-win in war. There are only two possible outcomes in a war:

win-lose
lose-lose

Are we really trying to "beat" someone in this game ? Is it really a win-at-all-costs game ?

What is it you will become personally by playing the game that way ? Who is it that you think you must be and where is it that you think you must be going ?

Why is it you play the game ? Why do you play it the way you do ?

Who are you ?

Dear Sim,

Okay a topic about war can bring about heated emotions on the topic.

I too agree on the win-win or in many cases the "perceived" win-win.

This post is an attempt to look outside the box and see how putting on another set of glasses may allow us to see new methods, ideas, and maybe insights and strategies that we can use to our benefit in our day to day property activities.

Taking the words literally can be an overkill.

However another example. Say you entered into a contract on what you believe is a very good investment property. However after carrying out a building and pest inspection you discover major rotting in floor boards and some structural parts with the seller unable/unwilling to recognise this in revisiting the price.

In this case I see that the following quote can be applicable.

“Retreat is another form of advance. A good man does not fight a losing battle.”
-Chinese Maxim

Life is a game. Revisiting worthwhile and helpful philosophy such as "The richest man in babylon" prove that value can be gained in doing this. (I believe this is "Rich Dad Poor Dad" published 70 years before Robert Kiyosaki did.) Are there other golden gems out there that we are overlooking?

Also are we providing a true win-win situation when we buy a property from a motivated seller? Or would a different person classify this as "taking advantage" of them.

Something to think about.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Last edited:
I agree pretty much with most of what you've just said Sunstone, I just have a real problem with other people who do take it literally - as I have seen them do.

Dear Sim,

No problems mate.

Agree that literal statements can be taken the wrong way.

However I am interested in seeing the different sets of glasses that we can put on in viewing property.

Does anyone else know any other good older books that can help us in analysing property from another view point.

I know that Asy is all for "Merchant of Venice" in understanding the true nature of property contracts. This I believe is innovative.

What other ones are there out there that could help the forum?

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Back