Ancillary accommodation open space query

We're in the process of assessing development options for a ~1,300sqm, R25 lot in the City of Canning.

One of the options being assessed is a 3 lot battleaxe development with the front lot being green title and >450sqm to allow for a granny flat to be incorporated into the build.

This would be a new build, and with the shape of the lot, the ancillary area would probably be incorporated under the main roof of a double storey house.

My question is, would the section designated as ancillary be exempted from the open space 50% requirement under the r-codes? I haven't been able to find definitive guidance either way. (especially if it is attached, not detached, to the main residence)...

Your thoughts appreciated!

We're in the process of assessing development options for a ~1,300sqm, R25 lot in the City of Canning.

One of the options being assessed is a 3 lot battleaxe development with the front lot being green title and >450sqm to allow for a granny flat to be incorporated into the build.

This would be a new build, and with the shape of the lot, the ancillary area would probably be incorporated under the main roof of a double storey house.

My question is, would the section designated as ancillary be exempted from the open space 50% requirement under the r-codes? I haven't been able to find definitive guidance either way. (especially if it is attached, not detached, to the main residence)...

Your thoughts appreciated!

I looked into this earlier because I thought it might have been exempt. But now I'm pretty sure its not one of the design principles that ancillary dwellings are exempt from.

So you still need to comply.

I tend to read the R-codes the same way, that open space requirements would still apply across the entirety of the lot. However, (and I know this is a Fremantle specific term) the FAQ from Fremantle seems to imply the opposite:

http://www.fremantle.wa.gov.au/cityservices/Planning/Small_Secondary_Dwellings

4. What are the open space requirements for a small secondary dwelling development?

The Residential Design Codes include a requirement that a certain percentage of the total area of every residential lot be kept as open space (i.e. 50% of the lot). This provision has been suspended altogether in relation to small secondary dwellings. This will enable these dwellings to be developed as broadly as possible across the residential parts of the city, and to minimise the planning controls associated with their development. This does not mean that all open space will be lost within residential areas as the mandatory floor area controls for the small secondary dwellings and open space requirements for other buildings on the lot will ensure that significant areas of open space will remain.

I tend to read the R-codes the same way, that open space requirements would still apply across the entirety of the lot. However, (and I know this is a Fremantle specific term) the FAQ from Fremantle seems to imply the opposite:

4. What are the open space requirements for a small secondary dwelling development?

The Residential Design Codes include a requirement that a certain percentage of the total area of every residential lot be kept as open space (i.e. 50% of the lot). This provision has been suspended altogether in relation to small secondary dwellings. This will enable these dwellings to be developed as broadly as possible across the residential parts of the city, and to minimise the planning controls associated with their development. This does not mean that all open space will be lost within residential areas as the mandatory floor area controls for the small secondary dwellings and open space requirements for other buildings on the lot will ensure that significant areas of open space will remain.

The three main requirements are lots 450+. A plot ratio of 70sqm max and meet the open space requirements over the lot.

The way i read the above (and my opinion only) is the open space requirements still need to be met accross the site

Ie original house sqm + gf sqm (70sqm max) as a percentage of total site area. Being minimum 45% or 50% in relation to the land zoning. What the above is saying is the gf can be seperated in anyway ie fenced off without having to have the required open space in relation to building size inside this fenced area as long as the entire site complies.

Thats how i understand it.

Cheers

A small secondary dwelling (SSD) is a City of Fremantle specific provision and is not an ancillary dwelling.

They were implemented before the new R code provisions last August.

My understanding is that yes it has to comply with Open Space requirements. It doesn't need to comply with Outdoor Living areas which is in the same part of the Rcodes table as Open Space.

So for R25 the whole 450 sqm needs to comply with the 50% site coverage/ open space but only the main house needs to have a dedicated Outdoor Living area with a minimum of 30sqm.

Back