Animals in a IP

Hi all,

Just had some applications come through for my IP. One seems reasonable, although they have a dog, maltese something.

They are upfront about it, which is much better than me finding out at a later stage. It also gives me the opportunity to put in some clauses about pets and sprays / repairs which much be done at the end of the tenancy.

What are peoples thoughts on having a dog? I can say that the dog is allowed outside, but chances are, it will be let in the house. Im more worried about the smell that can be associated with having a dog and also damage caused to the property since its just been painted and all.

Am I able to ask for extra bond due to the increase in rent?

The gates also do not close properly, and Im not sure if I'll be fixing these (sagged over time) at this stage so Im also concerned about the dog getting out etc etc.

Thanks

I allow pets in all of mine. I'd let the tenant know about the gates not closing properly, and get a clause in the lease to have the carpet shampooed at the end of the tenancy.

One of my best tenants had 6 (that's right) dogs. The house was kept immaculate.

Hey Tez, could you squeeze another $10-20 out of them, since they have a pet? The rental market out that way is really tight at the moment.

One of the tenants is a fencer, so maybe I could swing some new gates in the deal :)
The agent even mentioned that they were willing to give away / put down the dog if needed :( Bit sad.

Carpets being shampooed is a good clause too. Thanks skater.

garbage, what Ive got it advertised for is I think a fair amount. I'll leave it for another weekend to see what other prospective tenants I get applying.

One of the tenants is a fencer, so maybe I could swing some new gates in the deal :)
The agent even mentioned that they were willing to give away / put down the dog if needed :( Bit sad.

Carpets being shampooed is a good clause too. Thanks skater.

That is terrible. A pet is a living being. You don't just kill it because it's inconvenient.

I would rather a pet in an IP than a child anyday.

Wow :(.... the said tenant is likely to get lynched by some angry Somersofters going by the recent dog eating thread.... Perhaps offer the lease to the dog without the owner.....

Cheers,

The Y-man

I always allow pets on the lease (my rentals are older style queenslanders).

I have the PM state outside pets only however knowing full well that they will be let in the house at one point (normally cold winter nights if a smaller breed). Tenants are welcome to do any fencing upgrades to ensure the pet stays on the property but I do not pay for any fencing requirements that are only required because of the pets.

I normally will choose a single person with a pet over a single or couple with young kids.

Cheers,

Fourex.

We also always accept pets, and have only ever had one dog scratch doors. We offered the tenant the option of sanding back, filling and repainting the door or giving over $100 of her bond. She did the repair herself.

(Our own poodle has scratched our PPOR doors, but as one of the family, he is allowed some leeway :D.)

Put your clauses in and let the poor little dog live in your IP :).

Just put in the agreement like suggested. Malteeze doggies dont have odours like some other dogs and they dont have fur that seems to drop every where.
Carpets are a must at the end of tenacy and make sure they sign a agreement of house and yard to be fumigated for fleas etc... give them a chance
Alyz

My IP has always had pets... usually small dogs to big dogs.

Damage is usually little to none. Smell, well i cant smell anything, might help that its floor boards and not carpet.

Cats on the other hand..... if a house has carpet and a cat, the smell is very distinct.

Cats on the other hand..... if a house has carpet and a cat, the smell is very distinct.
What a generalisation! It all comes down to the care the owner gives and how responsible they are. I know of 2 young girls living in a carpeted 2 bedroom flat which never smelt of their cat/wee/etc due to their upkeep.
Desexed cats don't tend to spray/scent and it's very easy for a cat to learn how to use a litter tray.

Back