Annabel Crabb's Kitchen Cabinet

Is anyone else addicted to this show?

I watched last season and I'm watching the current season and iView have all the previous seasons up at the moment so I've been catching up on all the seasons I missed.

I love how strained and awkward the concept of the show is i.e. a politician cooking for a journalist and then sitting down for a meal together whilst being interviewed. It's interesting to see how the politicians react. Some are very relaxed and personable, others are uncomfortable or strained.

I know Crabb's political slant isn't in line with many on this forum, but I think she does a pretty good job of interviewing the hosts evenhandedly.

My personal favourite was Barnaby Joyce. He's prone to making gaffes and holding some quirky views so he can come across as a bit dim and nutty in the ADHD world of media. I was surprised though, he came across as intelligent, personable and decent. I was, however, confused why he served someone who doesn't eat meat a plate full of meat but then when he finished his plate and started on hers, it all become clear, it was all rigged so that he could have two plates.

The worst, I think, was Rudd. He came across as incredibly arrogant and controlling. He didn't even cook a meal, but instead prepared a few baked cookies knowing perfectly well that the concept of the show is that the politician cooks and Crabb brings the dessert. That pretty much said 'I don't care about the format of this show, I am not going to waste time cooking and eating, that would mean less time spent talking about myself'. I can see why Julia and her death squad had him whacked to be honest, the man truly is insufferable.

Last edited:
I watch it every now and then and have always enjoyed it. I don't mind Barnaby Joyce. The media selectively picks pieces that make him look foolish. He is quite passionate.

And Rudd has always been arrogant. My daughter worked at the local cinema he would frequent. He was always rude to staff. Whereas Julie Gillard was very kind to the young people working there.

I found her last show with Andrew Robb and Mary Jo Fisher interesting. Both guests showed a lot of courage in talking about their mental illness so openly.

Back