Annoying and Large graphic .sig

Hi Gang,

This is an IP forum not a CompGraphics showcase.

I personally think 300Kb .sigs really have no place here. I know they look pretty, but they
a) take time and bandwidth to download.
b) show up as code for email recipients of the forum
c) encourage copycats.

If you want to show off please do so by the quality of your posts not your HTML hacking.

Please feel free to disagree, make your own decisions on what is good netiquette.

Dreamspinner

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

if you dont like the sigs jsut turn off show grapihic in your web browser options...
razanimation.gif

Reply: 1.1

If I do that I can't see any of the buttons at the top of the forum or other useful graphics.

Your .sig is 300Kb -- 6 times the target size for an entire web page. It does get cached but it still opens a line to the host every time it is read. That creates unnecessary web traffic and limits the bandwidth.

Dreamspinner

Reply: 2

Well said Paul. Beat me too it.

Same goes for the series of "Well I want a wankie sig too, please show me how to do it" posts.

Discuss them via email or in the meeting point forum not in the PI forum.

Bottom line is, if the ratio of crap to legitimate posts continues downhill, the real gurus in this forum (and no, I'm not one) will stop reading/posting and a valuable source of information will be lost to all.

Toyo

Reply: 2.1

there is a program out there call JPEG wizard, it shrinks Jpeg images. it a can cut its size down to nearly 10 without visible difference, i use it to compress images on my site, a signature image can probably get down to 1 or 2 K, sometimes even less than 1

Reply: 3

As a software developer, I applaud Rasputin for his creativeness and html expertise. As a property investor, I am far more interested in the content of this forum than the decoration. As the webmaster, I am more interested in users finding the forum a useful source of information that can be readily accessed. With regard to the latter, I have had several emails recently complaining that many posts are taking forever to load. I suspect these users are not on broadband cable and are having to contend with embedded graphics. Please be sensitive to other users needs and constraints.

Reply: 2.1.1

"Ratio of crap to legitimate posts"

Just about says it all. Posting for the sake of it. Some of us actually do have lives and reading "crap" postings takes up too much time. If you can contribute, please do. If you just want your posting number higher, please don't.

Reply: 3.1

Well said Mr. Webmaster !

I took the effort to make sure my image was small (around 3K) and it should cache well unlike an animated graphic like others use.

I have not had any requests to cease and desist directed specifically at me, but I will go and modify my graphic to make it even smaller in the interest of public sanity.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 3.1.1

Thanks Sim

My complaint was not addressed to you. I did not your 2.2Kb graphic and thought that was quite smart. I've seen text only .sig's take more space.

Regards

Dreamspinner

Reply: 3.1.1.1

That's cool Paul... I was just trying to set a good example ;-)

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 3.1.1.1.1

Testing how big my sig. is. If its too big, I'll remove it and apologise to all for wasting bandwidth....

Pierre.gif

Back