Another Blow to Hybrids

Hi

Fair enough, Julia. I will not get in your way in "discussing" this subject if that is what you wish to do.

However, my position is quite clear and so I will make no further comments until I have something of value or usefulness to contribute rather than rehashing things.

In the meantime, anyone concerned about their individual position with HDT's should seek advice from their trusted professionals (accountants and/or solicitors) and make their own decision based on this individual and specific advice.

Dale

Discussion Questions...

Hi Julia and others,

I just read through most of the NTAA document.

Just a few points and questions regarding income units and negative gearing with property in HDT's, to help clarify my understandings:

- If you use this structure for tax benefit AND asset protection, and neither is your sole or dominant purpose (ie. you have multiple purposes), then doesn't that make it more legitimate?

- Further, with respect to asset protection, if you are self-employed or a business owner wouldn't this make it more legitimate, as asset protection in this instance may not be considered a 'private purpose'?

- Wouldn't the HDT would be more suited to a high income earner, who is self-employed or a business owner, at high risk of litigation, and is negatively gearing with property?

To elaborate on the above...

What I find confusing is how the ATO say that to be caught by part IVA, 'the sole or dominant purpose of entering into the arrangement must be to derive a tax benefit'. Then, if you say, no, you also want asset protection, the ATO says for the interest to be fully deductible, it must be 'incurred wholly for the purpose of producing assessable income'? And if they consider the asset protection of a 'private' nature, then you can't claim the FULL interest as a tax deduction?

Is the only way to get around this asset protection being classed 'private nature' if you are self-employed/business owner, or in a very high risk profession, or not just an employee of a large company?

- Instead of redeeming income units at cost price, if you redeem them at an appropriately calculated 'market value' for income units, wouldn't this be more appropriate? It will mean some CGT will be paid by the unit-holder (a smaller amount, but 100% of it), but, the the bulk of the capital gains on sale of the property, and after income units are redeemed, can still be streamed to beneficiaries?

- Could someone explain in simple terms what is the 'market value substitution rule'?

- If negative gearing benefits have been exhausted and units are redeemed, if you wait a 'reasonable' amount of time (?? > 12 months) BEFORE selling the property, then wouldn't this make this structure more legitimate?

- If there is a trust loss, then that trust loss can't be offset against future trust income, unless a family trust election is made, is that correct?

- What is the disadvantage of making a family trust election? Is it that there is an extra 'family trust distribution tax' payable? How much is this, how is it calculated? Is it so the trust can access imputation credits, which are important if it holds significant share assests? But, what if the shares are not negatively geared or there is no unitholder, but the trust buys the shares directly, so is acting like an ordinary discretionary trust?

- In simple terms, what exactly is the 'conservative' interpretation of the use of HDT's with respect to negative gearing IP's that the NTAA is suggesting. Or are they suggesting anything at all, apart from giving warnings and urging caution?

Julia, you mentioned you agreed with the conservative interpretation of the use of the HDT that the NTAA suggested, but from this document, I am not sure what it is? Are you able to elaborate on this?

- For those who currently use this arrangement, would it be fair to say that as long as you don't actually redeem units or sell the property at the current time, that claiming the full interest as a tax deduction is still justifiable? Wouldn't the tax deductions be disallowed only if you take the next step of unit redemption, selling the property, and discretionary capital gain/income distribution - which appears to be where the current contentions lie?

Thanks for any replies from anyone who wishes to shed light on the above questions...

GSJ

Last edited:
anyone concerned about their individual position with HDT's should seek advice from their trusted professionals (accountants and/or solicitors) and make their own decision based on this individual and specific advice.

This is exactly what I did about 8 months ago, and both my accountant and solicitor specifically said "Whatever you do - don't touch these things with a barge pole.....they are unproven, untried in the courts and we think you'll find most of our colleagues who are recommending them to their clients will become unstuck."

Yesterday I happened to be chatting with the accountant on a separate matter and he chipped in with..."Hey, have you seen what's been happening with those HDT's, aren't you lucky you took my advice and steered clear of them."

I don't profess to know the ins and outs of HDT's, I'm happy to be led by the nose by my advisers on this issue. I suppose I'll try and stick with normal DT's and continue to purchase properties that produce a positive cashflow such that I don't require what purportedly the HDT's deliver.

My understanding is that a HDT can be converted to a DT with relative ease!?

With increased knowledge I never would have set up my HDT in the first place, I'm just too sensitive to cashflow issues at the moment such as less LVR when borrowing and setup fees for margin accounts (read I don't have enough money). As it is I'm letting it proudly safeguard my $40 AUD sitting in a bank account, it's a difficult thing evaluating whether to regard the venture as a sunk bad cost or keep it on life support (which I'm choosing to do) in the expectation of having enough cashflow to allow myself the luxury of long term ideal structuring of assets.

Q: What do you call it when accountants fight? ;)

Thanks for the usefull info and updates everyone.

Not fighting, just a difference of opinion. Its so important to see both sides of the investing coin. With respect to HDT's, until recently on this forum, we have only seen one side. Now, with alternative point of views being presented (eg. Ronin, Twitch, Julia...), it makes it much easier for those reading the forum to weigh up both sides, and then discuss further with their paid professionals as to the most appropriate course of action for them. There is less 'forum bias' on this subject now, and I believe this improves the overall quality of the forum.

GSJ

What should people starting out now do? If they are about to sign a contract on a little bargain they can’t wait.

Maybe if you do buy, just make sure you don't sell or won't be forced to sell any time soon - at least until this stuff is sorted out more definitively?

GSJ

This may be a stupid question, but, why wouldn't someone who is promoting HDT's for negative gearing IP's (amongst other things) have gotten a favourable private binding ruling from the ATO for a client using one of their HDT deeds, at the very beginning, BEFORE selling it to others (doing a similar thing) in the first place?

GSJ

Dazzling said:
aren't you lucky you took my advice and steered clear of them
It seems to me that the issues being raised with HDTs relate to negative gearing via issued units, and then only if the possibility exists for the unit holder to avoid capital gains (or if there are discretionary distributions while units are issued). So if you only want the benefits of a DT by having no units on issue, or at least don't want to negative gear, then an HDT should be the same.

GP

This may be a stupid question, but, why wouldn't someone who is promoting HDT's for negative gearing IP's (amongst other things) have gotten a favourable private binding ruling from the ATO for a client using one of their HDT deeds, at the very beginning, BEFORE selling it to others (doing a similar thing) in the first place?
GSJ

I was going to stay right out of this thread as I could see it getting potentially heated but since it started, I have been wondering exactly the same thing.

Jim

Hi

I settled on a property only 5 weeks ago and used one of my HDT's to buy it, despite the so-called uncertainty.

I have sought the opinions of Chris Batten and Chris Balalovski as to whether we should change our thoughts or advice and was told No....steady as she goes.

Dale

Maybe if you do buy, just make sure you don't sell or won't be forced to sell any time soon - at least until this stuff is sorted out more definitively?

GSJ

Hi

We seem to have forgotten a couple of things here:

NickM DID get a private binding ruling that was favourable;
And, that a PBR only applies to the person asking for it and it does not apply accross the board.

Instead, Batten & MGS (Chris Balalovski is an ex legal counsel with the ATO) have sought senior legal counsel originally and again of late to review the deeds and how they should be applied to ensure that they comply with the law as we know it.

I can assure you that both Chris Batten and MGS have been very professional and very thorough in their due dilligence.

In their minds, and mine, I might add, there is no doubt about this issue if the right trust deed is used and used properly. The wrong trust deed could bring heart ache and disappointment though.

Dale

GSJ

Hi Andrew

That reminds me of my favourite accounting joke....

Q. What do you do when you see an account ant coming towards you with only half a face?

A. Stop laughing and reload!

That brings a smile to my face every time.

Dale

Thanks for the usefull info and updates everyone.

NickM DID get a private binding ruling that was favourable

Hi Dale,

I didn't realise that. Can't recall if this ruling was discussed on the forum or not, but, are you able to post a link to it?

Thanks,

GSJ

Last edited:
Hi Dale,

I didn't realise that. Can't recall if this was ruling discussed on the forum or not, but, are you able to post a link to it?

Thanks,

GSJ

Hiya,

I can't find the actual attachment, but, a quick search brought up a post where a ruling was just copied and pasted into the forum... I am pretty sure this is the one that Dale is talking about.

See this post.

Cheers

James.

Thanks James,

I think I follow it. I think it basically suggests that negative gearing with HDT's is OK. However, I don't think it addresses the Part IVa 'tax benefit' issue that may arise out of redeeming all units and then selling the property, and streaming subsequent capital gains to beneficiaries.

GSJ

Hi Dazz

It sounds like you have very good accountants who have helped you by being firm in their beliefs...regardless of whether their beliefs are based on extensive research or just gut feeling.

Well done.

I am always impressed by professionals who take a stance and who do not change their mind like they change their underwear.

Dale

This is exactly what I did about 8 months ago, and both my accountant and solicitor specifically said "Whatever you do - don't touch these things with a barge pole.....they are unproven, untried in the courts and we think you'll find most of our colleagues who are recommending them to their clients will become unstuck."

Yesterday I happened to be chatting with the accountant on a separate matter and he chipped in with..."Hey, have you seen what's been happening with those HDT's, aren't you lucky you took my advice and steered clear of them."

I don't profess to know the ins and outs of HDT's, I'm happy to be led by the nose by my advisers on this issue. I suppose I'll try and stick with normal DT's and continue to purchase properties that produce a positive cashflow such that I don't require what purportedly the HDT's deliver.

Hi

Another thought for you to contemplate....

People ask for PBR's when they do not know the answer and want to sure of doing things in line iwth the tax office opinions.

People who know the law rarely ask for a PBR because they know what is likely to be right and likely to be wrong.

And, people who really know what they're doing will probably know more than the tax office people who administer the law. A quick look at discussions between accountants or tax agents will show this a home truth very quickly.

So, Batten and MGS would not have asked for a PBR simply because they knew the law; knew what legal counsel considered as a correct approach to applying the law and likely saw no reason to aply for a PBR.

Just something else to consider in context of this discussion.

Dale

GSJ

Yes

Dale I think your last post really doesn't adress the reality of how the legal system works in Australia.

there have been situations in the past where large groups of people have participated in what many considered to be acceptable schemes only to get a nasty fright and a painfull bill.

There are many shades of grey between black and white.

Maybe Chris Battern is in a situation where he can define what the Tax Department will do , but if as you say , he knows more than them , maybe the ATO will make the incorrect decision if they don't " know enough " .

Maybe the Judges who would have to adjudicate in the decision between whether Chris or the ATO know more ( if it ever came to that ) also don't know as much.

How many times have we seen land mark legal decisions decided by split decisions amongst the leading legal minds in the country.

Can you 100% guarantee HDT's will hold up ? Maybe on the balance of probablities they will but what degree of certainty can be offered at the moment.

Cliff

Last edited:
Back