Another computer question!

I have a device that connects to my computer via USB port. Its a slide/negative digitising scanner thingo. I cant get it working.

Anyway, in the book it says it needs USB 2.0 and i'm not sure if i have that or the old USB 1. My pc is about 2-3 years old.

Ok, my question is how do i know which USB version is have and if i do have USB 1. How do i upgrade to USB 2.0.

Thanks for any advice.

I have a device that connects to my computer via USB port. Its a slide/negative digitising scanner thingo. I cant get it working.

Anyway, in the book it says it needs USB 2.0 and i'm not sure if i have that or the old USB 1. My pc is about 2-3 years old.

Ok, my question is how do i know which USB version is have and if i do have USB 1. How do i upgrade to USB 2.0.

Thanks for any advice.

Did you try google? The first page which is shown when copy/pasting your question is http://ask-leo.com/how_can_i_tell_if_i_have_usb_20.html

Anyways here is how to check:

• Right-click My Computer
• Click on Properties
• Click on the Hardware tab
• Click on the Device Manager button
• Scroll down as needed until you see Universal Serial Bus Controllers
• Expand that by clicking on the boxed plus sign in front of Universal Serial Bus Controllers
If it's "Enhanced", it's USB 2.0. If it's not, then it's USB 1.x.

And if it turns out to be USB 1.x (I'd be suprised if it was, given it's age), then you can buy a USB 2.0 PCI controller card online for a few bucks, to solve your problem.

ok, thanks guys, i tried google but couldnt find a satisfactory answer. maybe we entered different searches.

Anyway, in the list it says twice: 'standard enhanced PCI to USB host controller'

and five times: 'standard universal PCI to USB host controller'

Would i take that as being i have 2 x USB 2 ports and 5 x USB 1.0 ports?

I just checked my computer and have 2 USB ports on the front and 6 on the back.

USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.1, so if it was a case of the device not liking 1.1, then you'd get a message saying 'this device can perform faster blah blah blah' pop-up.

USB 2.0 is just a faster version of 1.1, so it's not like trying to use a Serial connector on a Parallel port :p

Did you try a different USB port? (one on the front and one on the back?)

It could be a case of incompatible drivers.
try downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturer's site for your operating system.
Completely uninstall, and re-install with the latest.

in case you still don't have it working......

get the latest drivers off the net for your OS.

check the USB ports on your puter by plugging in a usb stick (or try your keyboard or mouse in each port)....and copy paste files each way. if files transfer, then the USB ports work.

plug your device into another computer, preferrably an XPP one. install driver if requried. if it works fine, then the problem is either your usb ports or OS.

Back