Another granny flat build

Here I am, yet another person forging ahead with a granny flat- this one on our PPOR in Queanbeyan.

We have a very large block, which is not subdividable. The intention is to let out for income, as we are coming up towards our retirement.

It took quite a while to get things rolling- the business just took up too much time.

Brazen has been very patient with me, and we have just submitted our first se if plans to the council.

It didn't go quite as expected.

Apparently there's some sort of scenic restriction in the area, which means that we can't use the usual granny flat rules. We have to go through a full DA.

Unfortunately that doesn't mean that we can do a full DA. The flat must still comply with granny flat rules.

So we will see what going to happen from here.

I don't know the exact timeframes as this only came up today. The estimate I was given wa six weeks but coming from the council, that could have been very optimistic. If one of the neighbours objects it could take a lot longer. (Some significant trees will be cut down).

Hope turns out good for you! Looks like you have turned your attention onto something worthwhile to soak up some of your newfound time since selling your stores!

pinkboy

Geoffw,........ We are going through a very similar scenario to you at the moment, but in Goulburn.

Good luck with it .....

Mystery

And good luck with yours.
Thanks Geoffw

...... I thought of an obvious question this morning that hadn't dawned on me until this morning. You may be able to answer it for me ....

With the affordable Housing option or for that matter a granny flat ...... Do you have separate electricity, gas and water meters? Obviously we did for our recent dual occupancy build in Qld, but I didn't think to ask the question before now regarding this development.

Mystery

I definitely would.

It is approved as a secondary dwelling, and so it is quite legal to have tenants. Of you don't have separate metering you would be paying for tenants' usage.

If it gets occupied by family then no harm done except for a little more expense.

I definitely would.

It is approved as a secondary dwelling, and so it is quite legal to have tenants. Of you don't have separate metering you would be paying for tenants' usage.

If it gets occupied by family then no harm done except for a little more expense.
Thanks Geoffw, ..... I figured that would be the answer, but it's good to get it confirmed. Definitely being built as a rental.

Thanks

Mystery

It's quite easy to have seperate meters for water and electricity but gas seperation os problematic. I got it in Melbourne by letting them think it was a proper strata situation (no one checked, wich I still cant believe) but normally its very difficult. My advice is to try and make the GF all electric.

Unfortunately that doesn't mean that we can do a full DA. The flat must still comply with granny flat rules.
I've had clarification on this. Apparently in November changes were passed banning dual occupancies- secondary dwellings are still allowed. If I had lodged an application before November a full house may have been allowable, but no longer. A secondary dwelling may be up to one third the size of the main house, or 60M2- our place is 155m2.

There was also a chance the granny flat may have been disallowed as there are a number of significant trees which have to be removed. There is a possibility this will still be a problem- but also a possibility that I have to plant as many trees as I remove. This was something I would have done anyway, to give screening.

It's quite easy to have seperate meters for water and electricity but gas seperation os problematic. I got it in Melbourne by letting them think it was a proper strata situation (no one checked, wich I still cant believe) but normally its very difficult. My advice is to try and make the GF all electric.
Thanks Savanna. All electric will be fine if we can't have the second gas meter.

I've had clarification on this. Apparently in November changes were passed banning dual occupancies- secondary dwellings are still allowed. If I had lodged an application before November a full house may have been allowable, but no longer. A secondary dwelling may be up to one third the size of the main house, or 60M2- our place is 155m2.
Geoffw, ... interesting. Goulburn town planners actually suggested we submit details for an "affordable House" design (whatever that is). They said it could be up to 80% of the current dwelling size, which would give us 100m2 to 110m2 for the new build.

Our Building Designer who's handling our enquiry is submitting initial drawing for a maximum size dwelling, ... we'll see what feedback they give. They may require a smaller dwelling and accommodate more green space. They may also knock us back from doing anything other than a building extension.

The advantage we have is that we live in an old shop/residence (renovating) so we have zero setback due to the front being on the edge of the pavement ... it's the type with the big old awning over the footpath. This gives us more backyard to use which also backs onto the street behind.

I'll keep the thread posted as to the outcome.

Mystery

Back