Another heroic defeat - World Cup

We lost , but what a game .

3-2 to the Netherlands , who incidentally beat the reigning world champions 5-1 but I bet anyone who watched the game wouldn't have wanted them to have played the game any other way .

After the turgid fare dished up by the pim and holger it's fantastic to see how the Australians have played under ange .

The comparison between the 4 nil drubbing by Germany in South Africa where we sat like freighted rabbits waiting for the truck to hit to the attacking play against chile and Netherlands where we dominated play for prolonged periods against world class opponents was fantastic .

And don't be surprised if Tim Cahill's goal goes down as the best goal ever by an australian . :cool:

Cliff

Yep, a very good effort from the team. You could see the look on the Dutch coach at half time was very tense and then took a turn for the worse at 1-2.

The guys showed lots of skill and really took it up to them at every opportunity, if chances had been taken by BOTH teams the score could have been anything.

Got a phone call this morning from in-laws in Brasil and they said that they were captivated by the Aussie performance, something like 'os peixinhos podem nader ' , the little fish can swim.

Can't wait for the Spain game and any reasonable effort will end a great World Cup for us and hopefully set the foundations for the future.

Once (if :) ) the Aussies are out....Go Brasil.

regards

Great game, the boys did us proud.
What a goal by Timmy!

Gary Ablett seemed a bit quiet though, don't think I saw him at all.

And if we knock off or draw with Spain we can finish 3rd in our group which is pretty unbelievable looking at our 3 opponents!

What I find odd is that 3 of the best 15 teams in the world are all in the same pool, along with us :(

I would have thought that the draw should be seeded so that the best 16 teams in the world have the opportunity to make the next stage.

With 3 such good teams in the same pool one of them must miss out.

I'm very proud of our performances. Unsure about Matt Ryan in goals though .....

When watching it with my dad this morning I said "OMG CAHILL'S GOAL WAS BETTER THAN VAN BASTEN'S!"

Upon watching replays of VB's volley I think Cahill runs a close second :)

Aus always had no chance but the funny part is spain LOL.

All rubbish teams except one and only Brazil, hopefully germans get kicked out next.

Sport throws up a real hero every now and then and Tim Cahill certainly fits the bill.
Our family met Tim and the rest of the Socceroos a few years back in Perth where they were signing autographs following a training session at the Glorys' ground.
Tim Cahill was the last player to leave and had to be physically dragged away at the end.The look of desperation on his face that he may have missed having his photo taken or signing his autograph with/for one of the many kids will always stay with me.
A true Aussie legend with a massive heart to match.

And the trees the English team...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 52
Back