Another inflammatory headline

Sounds great. Now that the queue jumping Islamic boat people have been stopped, why not let in these Chinese? What great citizens they make! All work hard, don't get disability pensions, they will probably increase our average IQ, and are non violent. It's a win win for Australia and better than the alternative.

See ya's.

Its funny, these headlines seem to pop up almost constantly, yet there seems to be no political appetite for any changes, or even discussion of possible changes, to the FI rules.

Good on em.

The only thing I don't like about them is when the call me shen jing bing lol. Those crazy Chinese!

Sounds great. Now that the queue jumping Islamic boat people have been stopped, why not let in these Chinese? What great citizens they make! All work hard, don't get disability pensions, they will probably increase our average IQ, and are non violent. It's a win win for Australia and better than the alternative.

See ya's.

Actually they don't need to work because their combined wealth is probably more than the pension system.

Its funny, these headlines seem to pop up almost constantly, yet there seems to be no political appetite for any changes, or even discussion of possible changes, to the FI rules.

The headlines will keep coming coz they keep selling papers. There is a market segment who feel very strongly about any "others out there" and the papers will keep doing the rounds while there is profit in it. Nevermind that all non indigenous are others from out there too.

10 years from now they'll be selling the same high end over priced OTP properties back to the locals for half the price they bought them for; just like the Japanese did in the 90s on the Gold Coast.

Most of these headlines are talking about properties being sold to Chinese that are outside the normal markets, they're buying with cash into the high end markets. It makes a good headline but it's a distortion of the facts.

We see plenty of younger people of Asian origin buying properties come through the office. They're generally permanent residents or citizens, with the same jobs and incomes as everyone else. The so called Chinese billionaires who are buying their way into Australian markets aren't playing in the same price points as the average Australian home owner or investor.

10 years from now they'll be selling the same high end over priced OTP properties back to the locals for half the price they bought them for; just like the Japanese did in the 90s on the Gold Coast.

Interesting Peter. I don't really know what happened in the 90s but it would be an interesting case study. I would've thought that foreign investors invest believing their capital are earning better returns here than in their local economies (and other areas where they could invest). I'd discount it a little given that they're may be some lifestyle/emotional benefits of owning in Australia.

Back