Another Newbie Question

W

WebBoard

Hello again just a quick one... I have been out there looking around my suburb and found a property NOT on the market but has massive potential... old falling down house on a massive block with dual access from 2 streets I would estimate potential 6-8 unit site.. the question is how do you find who owns it to try and strike up a deal to try and buy this eyesore of their hands....I am researching other aspects but no use without the deal first I think!!! The funny thing about this is it has been right infront of my face all along and I didn't even see the potential until now!!!!! thanks guys I am starting to get it I think!!!
Megan

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 2

If you are in Victoria you can go to www.land.vic.gov.au and get a copy of any title document you want. I used this to find the owner of a vacant piece of land I wanted to purchase.

Reply: 2.1

Brett,

That's great info - thanks a heap!

Dave
:)

Reply: 2.2

Thanks Guys!! What a fantastic response and thanks for the encouragement!! (I live in WA Rolf!!) My plan of action: I think the place is empty but when I drove past a couple of times I noticed the old guy who lives next door comes out onto his patio to have a sticky beak! So thanks Michael I will go to the house tomorrow and see if someone lives there and if not I'll try that nosy man next door!! I LOVE this its so much fun!!!
Any suggestions on polite but probing questions????? thanks again you guys are GREAT!!!!
Megan

Reply: 2.3

For those wishing to search in NSW the web site is www.lpi.nsw.gov.au (lpi stands for Land and Property Information, formally known as the Land Titles Office)

Simon H

Reply: 2.3.1

Hi,

It's costs $4 to do a search, and this can be done at the titles office in Sydney. I dont think it can be done online yet. But its pretty simple process at the office. You buy a "ticket" (or book of ten - recommend you buy a book, saves you waiting in queue each time you want to do a search).

On the ticket you write the record number and "post" into the appropriate slot.

Searches vary from 30-60mins, you just wait or go get a bite to each, come back and check your allocated pigeon hole for your record (as designated by the last two digits of your serial number on the ticket).

I recommend that if you havent got your form after the said time frame, walk tot he counter and ask. Dont wait longer, at least you'll know if there IS a delay or they've lost it.

Also the service desk is VERY helpful. Don't hesitate to ask there either for help.

BTW to the title will give you the names, but not their current address or contact details.

The best way is to ask real nice at the council who is paying the rates on the block. Someone has to and that will be the owner. And the rates have to be sent to some address. At least this might give you a post box where you can send a letter or something.

If council says we can't release that information you could say you want to contact the owner because you want to ask about putting an easement across the block. Hey you may not NEED an easement, but you alsways wanted to ask SOMEONE about an easement. Can't hurt to practice the process of ASKING can it?

Regards
Michael

On 6/22/01 7:55:00 PM, Simon H wrote:
>For those wishing to search in
>NSW the web site is
>www.lpi.nsw.gov.au (lpi stands
>for Land and Property
>Information, formally known as
>the Land Titles Office)
>
>Simon H