Another reason to continue investing

the whole long term idea of having compulsory super is so federal govts in the future will be able to reduce the strain on budgets..........in 50 plus years time pensions as we know it will be only a small part of the govts budget....and only for those that bludge their whole life on the dole and society handouts who wont have super...the rest of us will need to actively invest their super wisely to maximize growth as a nest egg..

hopefully the meltdown last year of peoples super will be a wake up call to diversify investments and not reply on just one source when they retire...

investment education over the coming years should be an important part of daily life in handling a persons retirement future..

once you hit 40 ages catches up very quick..next minute your on the scrap heap with all the other old timers...

prob less than 10% of people today are serious about investing properly..the rest are happy to let idiots run their billions of dollars in equity and skim the cream off it every year in fees...

having normal super only is a mugs game....

I like your style csc, I reckon I've got more and more cynical as i have got older (now just near 50). I quite agree with the idea of being over the hill at this time of my life. Never have i worked harder and yet enjoyed it the least, and most of the time I'm just so bl##dy tired!!!.

Re; super, the idea that the vast majority of people take on board that all they have to do is to keep nurturing their super is very misleading and futile.
I would guess anyhow that huge numbers of people once they have access to their super blow it away in short time and then put their hand out for the pension and say indignantly "well I'm entitled to it, I paid my taxes over the years!"

Not only is this a disaster but think of the whole class of super fund managers and financial planners whose whole existence seems to be focussed on sucking you into the next managed fund or super fund product, etc These people to me represent leeches in a swamp.

Recently I went out with some "friends" and of course after a while the topic turns to the economy (naturally enough as numbers of people are concerned about their futurues especially when you are around the 50 mark) and I of course was once again routinely poo pooed for being a property investor as though I was some sort of rich ******* or greedy capitalist pig. This time though instead of getting embarrassed and awkward I just let fly on a few of them and without severing the bonds of friendship (I mean what's life about after all if not about friends and loved ones) gave a withering burst on the pathetic nature of super, how at the rate of 9% it will never provide enough funds at the time it is needed and then got stuck into the aforementioned sub-class of leeches, etc ad nauseum.

Crikey did I upset one or two! A comment came back at me stating that "ha ha" the property market was dropping by 30 to 40%! I didn't have the energy, and I was fighting a losing battle anyway, to advise that all my inner city well located props worth over 3 mill had risen by $200K in the past 18 months with no signs of slowing down but I suspect they would not have believed me.

Nevermind, talking about money is always a sensitive topic at the best of times, but on the odd occasion prop investors need to stick up for themselves and talk plainly about how it really is and that the vast unwashed will stay that way until they get a hold of the fact that big brother (ie; govt's of all sorts) will not look after them nor is it in their interests to do so anyway except for the most needy and underprivileged in society.

Regards
Big Rog

Big rog, we all mostly get this and some don't come around any more , i am sure its a jelous thingy,
My wife said why? as we are their to talk help and have fun , its now a one way street.
So i thought about it a bit and told her that the problem is theirs, and im not sad about it at all , because at the end of the day we are here to satisfy us, and as i get to speak to like minded millionairs, all over aus most nights, and mornings that are the greatest bunch of supporting people i have ever had the pleasure talking to!

SO with the others WHO CARES! certainly not me!

Great post Big Rog, kudos!

Totally agree with your about Super. For the majority of people (unless you're in very high paying jobs), all super will do is replace the govt. pension with their own privately funded pension.

Sorry, but I want to live life well, not worry about how much I get coming to me each week and making it last.

Pension age to 67.

Under changes to the pension age unveiled in the budget, the age at which people qualify will increase at a rate six months every two years, beginning in 2017 and reaching 67 years in 2023.

If I was relying on the age pension I will have to wait to retire at 67. Will you have to wait until 67?

If you are referring to PAYE work - we are about 6 months away from not needing it again. I'll be 48, wife 38.

(I'm not happy - I'm 8 years behind schedule - was supposed to happen at 40!)

But will we keep working? Definitely.

She - likes work, and will do agency (casual), have another baby.

Me (us) - have the businesses, find new projects (property and business), golf, boat, family, entertaining, travel.

Pension - what's that?

Back