another shower bath vs shower poll

what would you prefer

• bath with seperate shower in laundry via kitchen

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • or shower over bath aswell as the shower in laundry via kitchen?

Votes: 18 66.7%

• Total voters
what would you prefer
a house with a bath and a separate shower in the laundry (through the kitchen)

or the same house with a shower over bath aswell as the current separate shower in the laundry (through the kitchen)

Today I am in the throes of ripping out crappy 80's style shower (smoked glass and peach aluminium frame) and replaing with a bath that I picked up on ebay.
$25 for a brand new STEEL bath
Walls covered in 1200 x 2400 x 3mm sheets of glossy white acrylic ($80/sheet) to hide the multitude of sins found underneath the faux tile sheeting that I ripped off.
New taps all round.
While not a show quality remedy it will look 1000% better than what was there previously.

Unless a shower is a 2 person sized shower, give me bath over shower any day

baths as designed now days are for babies and dogs.
when was the last time anyone lay around in one of todays baths.?
they are mostly not designed like older baths with space to lie with bubbles to your chin and a drink to hand

showers win :)

especially if u are older and likely to fall over getting over the side of a bath after the shower

... when was the last time anyone lay around in one of todays baths.? Yesterday :D
they are mostly not designed like older baths with space to lie with bubbles to your chin and a drink to hand Modern baths are just as well designed for a good soak... as long as we are not on water restrictions.

showers win :) I do agree, but having both is nice.

especially if u are older and likely to fall over getting over the side of a bath after the shower

This shower over bath is a problem in our house. We have two bathrooms, but one has become an ensuite to a downstairs bedroom (but still used by others if the bedroom is empty).

Our main bathroom has shower over bath, because we didn't have room to do both. I HATE having to climb over the side to get in the shower and I HATE having to clean the bath so often because dirty feet are in it every day.

I have found the solution... we can keep the same configuration, but have the shower and the bath in the same glassed off area. When we shower, water will splash on the bath (like a wet room) and the rest of the room will stay dry.

That is the latest plan. I hatch new plans on a daily basis :D

Our main bathroom has shower over bath, because we didn't have room to do both. I HATE having to climb over the side to get in the shower and I HATE having to clean the bath so often because dirty feet are in it every day.

agreed the main reason is would people prefer to climb over the bath to shower or walk through the kitchen to the laundry to have a decent shower

I have found the solution... we can keep the same configuration, but have the shower and the bath in the same glassed off area. When we shower, water will splash on the bath (like a wet room) and the rest of the room will stay dry.

That is the latest plan. I hatch new plans on a daily basis :D

if you dont have room to do both how do you screen off an area for the shower and bath?

The only way is to create a glass screen which encloses both. Like the shower rooms that I've seen on TV where everything gets wet including the toilet :eek: our bathroom is big enough to screen the shower and bath behind one glass wall. The part where we stand now to dry becomes a shower base. While we shower, the bath would get overspray, which is acceptable to me. Probably hard to explain, but if you saw the bathroom on the latest The Block you will get the idea.

In answer to original qu, I would go the 2 showers - in laundry and over bath. Also glad to hear that you aren't getting rid of bath, we have little kids and in the past when renting have chosen our rental houses based on whether or not they have them. I used to get so frustrated inspecting all of those newly renovated combined bathroom/toilet rooms with no bath, nice to look at but completely impractical when you have a few kids around.

Thanks for the link Marg. I like this idea, and I think we could do it. A built in bath without dark and damp areas would work better. Would not look as good, but I'm all for ease of cleaning.

Anyway, it is all a pipe dream for now. By the time we get around to changing it, our plans will have changed another ten times. Hubby just rolls his eyes when I start in with the "I have an idea for our bathroom...." :D

I do know that in our area, ripping out a bath is considered silly. It is highly likely that a family will buy our house one day, and they do want baths.

In answer to original qu, I would go the 2 showers - in laundry and over bath. Also glad to hear that you aren't getting rid of bath, we have little kids and in the past when renting have chosen our rental houses based on whether or not they have them. I used to get so frustrated inspecting all of those newly renovated combined bathroom/toilet rooms with no bath, nice to look at but completely impractical when you have a few kids around.

yeah i figured thats theres a high possibility of renting to a family with young kids as its not too far from the school
and figure adding a shower over the bath would then give them the option of using the bathroom or going into the laundry to shower
they then have a choice
it will be interesting to see what they choose for future ideas

sigh
it is 23 years + since i had the maroon and cream bathroom from hell ..... with cracked tiles.
the thing i will say for it was the bath was deep and luxurious.
it was meant for tired womans to lie in... if u had time.

what is a thought is........those showers that are created in such a way that they are deep and make small baths for kids (maybe dogs??).
they used to be around a lot .....dont know about now but i saw one the other day that didnt look too old

a friends husband did one in their place years ago and recently she fell in it and was unable to crawl over the lip of it.
i never liked it myself, but after seeing the effect it had on her (a brittle diabetic) to be there for 30 hours on the floor unable to reach her emergency beeper thingy.........i would never ever have one or use one.

Back